Can someone tell me how to get my hip flexors to grow?

jjm

jjm

Awards
I do leg lifts laying down on a flat bench and I do weighted leg lifts either hanging or in the roman chair and I still can't get my hip flexors to grow. Are there any other exercises I can do?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cleans, step-ups, lunges, incline sprints

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
Deep squats, with controlled descent. Do not just drop down and use the momentum to extend. Control the eccentric, do not time it like a tempo, but control the weight. Hip flexors can often be strained from very fast eccentrics during squatting.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Full sit-ups actually engage the hip flexors a lot. Also the ab exercise (don't know the name) where you lay on your back, a partner stands with his feet just behind your head. You reach back and hold onto his ankles, then bring your legs up hard (keeping them straight) and have your partner push them back to the ground. You try not to let them touch the ground.

They're considered ab exercises because you will feel them there first. The abs are pelvic stabilizers when performing the exercise. The hip flexors are much stronger than your abs. Nevertheless, it will work your hip flexors a lot, with some abs to boot.

There's also the four-way hip machines. Performing the hip flexion exercise. That is, if your gym as one of these. Some get used to much with the older ladies doing their stupid-ass inner/outer thigh exercises. Those machines have their place for athletes and rehab though.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Using the cable cross-over, attach a strap around your ankle, walk across to the other side, grab a hold of the bar that you use to stabilize yourself, set your body position so that you are at about a 60 degree angle, and do knee raises. These will totally target your hip flexors. I used to do them for track, to work on knee drive while sprinting.

jjm

jjm

Awards
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to add the step-up's and lunges into my leg day and see how that goes for a little while.

Full sit-ups actually engage the hip flexors a lot. Also the ab exercise (don't know the name) where you lay on your back, a partner stands with his feet just behind your head. You reach back and hold onto his ankles, then bring your legs up hard (keeping them straight) and have your partner push them back to the ground. You try not to let them touch the ground.

They're considered ab exercises because you will feel them there first. The abs are pelvic stabilizers when performing the exercise. The hip flexors are much stronger than your abs. Nevertheless, it will work your hip flexors a lot, with some abs to boot.

There's also the four-way hip machines. Performing the hip flexion exercise. That is, if your gym as one of these. Some get used to much with the older ladies doing their stupid-ass inner/outer thigh exercises. Those machines have their place for athletes and rehab though.
I workout alone :( That's sort of what I do on the flat bench though, except my legs don't get pushed down.

And are you talking about using the hip adductor/abductor machines? We have those in my gym but I'm always worried that I'm going to look like a pussy using those lol.

Using the cable cross-over, attach a strap around your ankle, walk across to the other side, grab a hold of the bar that you use to stabilize yourself, set your body position so that you are at about a 60 degree angle, and do knee raises. These will totally target your hip flexors. I used to do them for track, to work on knee drive while sprinting.
Do you have a link to that exercise?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
And are you talking about using the hip adductor/abductor machines? We have those in my gym but I'm always worried that I'm going to look like a pussy using those lol.
Definitely not ab/adductor machines. Yes, you would look like a pussy...lol!

The machine is called a four-way hip. You can do ab/adduction exercises on it, but you can also do hip flexion/extension. Ask the people at the front desk if there's one.

C

ClandestineM

Awards
Definitely not ab/adductor machines. Yes, you would look like a pussy...lol!

The machine is called a four-way hip. You can do ab/adduction exercises on it, but you can also do hip flexion/extension. Ask the people at the front desk if there's one.
Are you training for yourself and your muscular improvement? If so, why do you bother about what the opinions of your gym buddies are?

Just only my 2 cents.

Frank Mori

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Who are you asking that question of?

And the answer was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Ab/adductor machines have their places in some sports, but are usually only seen with fat, old ladies on them.

Interesting first post.

C

ClandestineM

Awards
Who are you asking that question of?

And the answer was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Ab/adductor machines have their places in some sports, but are usually only seen with fat, old ladies on them.

Interesting first post.
I agree with you. It's not a nice entry for my first post. But my motivation for this post is clear. You don't look like a pussy doing any exercise and if other people think this way its their problem.

What I am trying to say, is that you don't need to bother about other people's opinions. Your motivation must be inside of you.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank Mori

jjm

jjm

Awards
Ok so I've tried doing lunges on 3 seperate occasions, but everytime I get a few reps into my first set, it feels like I pull a groin muscle. The pain/sorness is gone in a few days, but I have no idea why this is happening. I stretch before I do them.

The pain/soreness is in the area basically right next to my shaft...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so I've tried doing lunges on 3 seperate occasions, but everytime I get a few reps into my first set, it feels like I pull a groin muscle. The pain/sorness is gone in a few days, but I have no idea why this is happening. I stretch before I do them.

The pain/soreness is in the area basically right next to my shaft...
What angle do your legs make when you take your step and where is your foot positioned?

jjm

jjm

Awards
What angle do your legs make when you take your step and where is your foot positioned?
I've tried using different angles and foot positions but nothing seems to work.

I noticed that if I don't take such a huge step first and make it so my back quad is perpendicular to the floor, it will take me a few more reps to start feeling the pain.