Back width, wider grip or weight vest.

Pumpitup

Awards
Right now I am at 20 pullups regular grip. IF I get my arms as wide as I can I am down to 8 pullups. I can also add 2 25lb plates and do 8 pullups.
Which one is better for wider back?
I know that weights would make me stronger, but wider?

Thanks for possible answers.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The only thing I have found to make my lats wider is making sure I "stretch" them all the way while doing pulldown/pullup type exercises...letting my scapulae get pulled apart.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Be careful with any wide grip. You're placing a load on a muscle at what I think is an un-natural angle, plus the stretch with tension. I was doing wide grips for quite a few exercises. Without cycling with a normal grip, I only added injury to the plate.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Straight arm pulldowns for lats are the most effective exercise Ive used and they can get brutal. From my experience its best to do these before you do ab work because they sure put a beating on sore abs.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya mmowry. I use straight arm pulldowns 2nd-3rd exercise when ive pounded some big weights and im transitioning to detail and site specific changes. Id say to myself time to get the width poppin, ah straight arm pullodwns and a compound back movement to finish the whole of my back off.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
The only thing I have found to make my lats wider is making sure I "stretch" them all the way while doing pulldown/pullup type exercises...letting my scapulae get pulled apart.
Do these with a normal (not W I D E) grip with as much added weight that can get you 6-8 reps for 3-4 sets. Back width is one of those things that just takes lots and lots of time, hard work, and heavy heavy sets.

P.S. A birdie once told me if you shrink your waist by keeping your conditioning and diet up to snuff, your back looks wider...

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SWG Ive never done anything that beat my outer lat from shoulder to rib cage like these.Theyre also a bear to do after heavy tricep work.Im glad this thread was started because after awhile my WG pulldowns start to bother my shoulder when the weight gets heavy.Ill put these back in my rotation.Thanks for the reminder.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SWG tried to give you some earlier but I guess I need to be a little more liberal with the KARMA.:icon_lol:

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rocky82 I use varying grip but my favorive is to use my pushdown rope.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
SWG tried to give you some earlier but I guess I need to be a little more liberal with the KARMA.:icon_lol:
Less liberal, or have they started spending money, lol.