Snap crackle popping shoulders

M

mcQ

Awards
For about the last month, when I do seated dumbell presses, both shoulders have been making a "pop" sound when I'm approximately 50-60% through each rep - upper arm at approximately 45 degrees up from parallel to the floor. I've experienced no pain or other adverse affects, just the noise itself. Strength has continued to increase as well.

Anyone else experience this? If so, is it just a symptom of growth (I've been lifting relatively seriously since the beginning of the year and am up about 18 lbs) or is this something I should be concerned about/see a medical professional? Thanks for any thoughts.

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I actually have that problem right now as well, but I have yet to seek any medical advice...

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
man, ive had that problem for like 5 months now. i think it is due from lifting really heavy. it puts a lot of stress on ur cuffs, joints, etc.
so, its probably just a little inflammation inside the joint itself. usually if itook a break for plateau reasons or sumthin, itd usually go away.

but, thats just me, cant say for sure what ur experiencing.

just make sure u give urself a good stretch before and after ur shoulder workouts.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Dammit, you bitch Q, stop your wining. I still can't even lift shoulders since you tackled me in the Legacy parking garage. Carma is a beezatch.

M

mcQ

Awards
:D That it is friend, that it is. You've got to consider it some sort of a moral victory to have finally shamed my skinny ass into the gym after 2 &1/2 years of listening to your NFL Cheerleader girlfriends bash on my complete lack of physique;) .

I

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Got the same problem as well. I think it is from the heavy weights. I feel no pain but it freaks me out. Almost no point in going to the doctor's because they feel any lifting with anything other than pink dumbells is too heavy. They will just say stop lifting or lift A LOT lighter.

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights!"-Lee Haney or Ronnie Coleman said it.
Ronnie Coleman said it in his video "The Unbelievable"

S

shadow_manifest

Awards
i had the same problem it was like when I extended my arm or twisted them a certain way they would pop. I went to the doctor and he did these test were he would put stress on my shoulder seeing if he could get it to sublux. Turns out that that one of my shoulders could come out a half an inch out of joint. He told me no dead lifting and gave me exercises to strenghting roator cuff muscles. That was 5 months ago and my shoulders rarely pop. Maybe you should use one of those big rubber bands and do some roater cuff exercise and see if that helps. I think as long as you don't feel pain then it isn't a problem unless you have felt like it might slip out of socket. later

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Never had the popping but did have shoulder pain until I implemented cuff exercises into my warmups on push days.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, i take what i said back above. my left shoulder hurts like a mofo right now.

could u guys give me some excercises to do for my cuffs? cuz i have no idea.

this would be extra appreciated.

thx a lot.

S

shadow_manifest

Awards
here is a web page that gives some simple exercises. hope this helps. later exercise

T

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
here is a web page that gives some simple exercises. hope this helps. later exercise
Good link. It's been several years, but those seem to be the same exercises that the therapist put me on after I had shoulder surgery (ligament and cartiledge damage).

Nobody's mentioned glucosamine, chondroitin, or MSM in this thread. I take 1.5g glucosamine and 1.5g MSM daily. It helps but doesn't cure. The only shoulder discomfort currently is when doing any sort of incline bench (BB, DB, or Hammer).

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established

Good link. It's been several years, but those seem to be the same exercises that the therapist put me on after I had shoulder surgery (ligament and cartiledge damage).

Nobody's mentioned glucosamine, chondroitin, or MSM in this thread. I take 1.5g glucosamine and 1.5g MSM daily. It helps but doesn't cure. The only shoulder discomfort currently is when doing any sort of incline bench (BB, DB, or Hammer).

i used to take the glucosamine and chondroitin, but i ran out and never went to the store to get more, heh.

what is MSM?

the pain i have doesnt hurt me when im doin presses, but when i do heavy barbell curls, the weight is so heavy that it forces my shoulder down when im doin the positive movement. i try to lock it as much as i can but that seems to aggrevate it even more. this sux.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established

Never really saw much from those products. I'd recommend a megadose of flax instead. But that's from my own experience.

T

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
what is MSM?
MSM is simply dietary sulfur, like the type found in eggs. It's probably the safest ingredient you can take next to water. It acts by donating sulfur for the maintenance of healthy connective tissue. It also has pain management attributes. You'll have to experiment with what dose works for you. A good prevention and maintenance dose is at least 1 gram a day. One double-blind study showed excellent results with 2-3 grams a day. Yet, a famous movie actor needed to take over 12 grams a day to help deal with his more serious joint problems. MSM may cause some flatulence when you first begin using higher doses, so build your dose slowly to get your body used to it. By the way, MSM is also great for hair, skin, nails and allergies.

Two recent studies by Dr. Ronald Lawrence, from UCLA School of Medicine, measured the effects of MSM in athletes and patients with joint problems. First, injured athletes taking MSM, in addition to their usual physical therapy, reported improved recovery (58%) versus a placebo group (33%). In addition, athletes using MSM had 40% fewer office visits during treatment. Second, a double-blind study showed joint patients with joint pain taking 2,250 mg of MSM daily for 6 weeks reported an average 82% improvement, compared to 18% taking placebo. These studies used the same Lignisul(tm) brand MSM that we use in our Lindberg brand products.

I used to take 1.5 g Glucosamine sulfate, 1.2 g chondroitin sulfate, and 1 g MSM but it was about $18 for a month. I switched to 1.5 g Glucosamine sulfate and 1.5 g MSM because I can get a months worth for $6.50 when buying at Costco. I haven't noticed a difference in how I feel since dropping the chondroitin sulfate.

~Todd

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
BTW, glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM are best taken transdermally. They have very poor bioavailibility.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
BTW, glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM are best taken transdermally. They have very poor bioavailibility.
for real? or are u just yankin my shrunken chain?;)

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
WOW!!! what wont u guys think of next!!

heh, nice goin bro.

btw, i used to kickbox too. this was when i was like 14,15 tho. im naturally bottom heavy. i think this is the reason why.

heh, i also think thats why i have joint problems too.