Training Volume vs Training Frequency!! Read and think!

Landmonster

Awards
I have long pondered the importance between training volume ( sets per session), and training frequency (times trained per week).

I realize that this is a sliding scale. Let's consider chest, as a sample bodypart. Lets pick a weekly volume, of say 24 sets.

On one end of the spectrum (the volume end), you could train chest once a week, and do 24 sets that session. Next, you could train chest twice a week at 12 sets. Next, you could train chest 3 times a week at 8 sets each. Finally, for the other end of the spectrum (the frequency end), you could train chest 6 days a week, and just do 4 sets a day.

Each of these breakdowns equals the exact same training TOTAL (same weekly volume), yet it would probably affect the msucle in a significantly different way. Doing 24 sets in a single workout would completely exhaust the muscle, giving it plenty of time to recover (maybe too much). Doing 4 sets every day never truly exhausts the muscle, but it gives its tons of stimulation to grow.... but not much rest (maybe not enough?)

Which of these programs is optimal for muscle SIZE? and which of these programs is optimal for muscle strenght? and why!

I have tried both, I am curious as to other peoples input.

This is the most simple way I can think to analyze frequency vs. volume, because I know often times when people simply increase the frequency, they dont cut back on volume, and then blame "FREQUENCY" as overtraining!

However, say you wanted to train a bodypart 24 sets as a weekly load, as I pointed out theres A LOT of ways you can go about it.

I would just like to know, on a cellular, or scientific level which program is best for growth, and which program is best for strength.... if indeed there is a difference.

:squat: :dl:

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
24 sets per week is a lot per chest no matter how you break it up

IMO try glens program, its worked pretty good for me so far.

Landmonster

Awards

Forget the "24" number, and pay attention to the question that im asking.... about the sliding scale.

More sets all at once vs Lets sets each time, but more often.

Edit: Link me Glens program?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If pure strength is your thing then go with higher training frequency. Some strength athletes will train bench 7 times a week and squat 4-5 times a week. Keep in mind this is not balls to the wall sets to failure. I used to train the same muscle once every 5 days and it worked very well for size. I now train westside style and can alter it for size or strength. Keep in mind that most feel its better to uncouple sets and reps. Its good to do high reps/ high number of sets and sometimes do low volume/ low sets.

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards

bump! As soon as summer is over, I am running 5x5 all fall/winter.

Edit: I thought you guys were talking about Glenn Pendlay :squat: