Leg extensions

Beta BBer

Awards
i just changed my leg routine to squats and deadlifts (from leg presses, extensions and curls)
I am getting much quicker gains of course...

question is, can i cut extensions out completely and put the extra effort into squats and dls?

thnx for replies!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You can throw away the leg presses. Squats is the same thing but ten times better and more effective. As for the leg extensions I personally like them because they target the quads.
Later

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
There is certainly no reason why you can cut them out. I would personally.

crazypete

Awards
sure, but is it optimal. squats and deadlifts are probably the two best exercises, but doing both together is a strain on your lower back. i go with two leg days, on for quads based around squats and another for hams based around deadlifts. i find that the two days for upper body are enough (check my post on the ALL TIME FAVORITE SPLIT thread in this section). although from time to time i have done this workout in one, but rarely.

cheers, pete

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
to quickly answer your question, yes, basically... but, if you don't do much sprint work or high intensity cardio, you *may* have weak hams... most people's hammies are greatly unbalanced with their quads, with you I'd reckon this is probably not the case since you said you switched from a workout using the basic flexion/extension movements... only reason I do extensions, is to warm the bitches up FOR squats/presses, and get the knees rollin' ... and will occasionally throw in a few sets of curls at the last... easier to completely finish off the hams, and make sure they don't lag behind.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I do a 4 day split with squats and deads on different days (deads are on back day, SLDL's for me). I do leg extensions after squats to try and fully fatigue the quads, but you could cut them out, yeah. It really depends on your program I think, but with two of the big three lifts on one day, extensions aren't a necessity IMO.