reverse grip bench

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
can someone shed some light on me as to how this is performed? i mean yeah it is quite obvious on how to hold it, but how low on your body etc should the weight be brought to? it seems a shitload of more advanced lifters on animals board seem to say its the best tricep mass builder, figured id give it a try...

B

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I don't agree, because it fucks my wrists... but to each his own

D

drfly

Awards
yeah, it is pretty hard on the wrists, u might wanna try it with an ez curl bar.

D

dez/null

Awards
Works fine for me...tho i don't get much out of it.

Must be me.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
seems they say to do it on a smith machine..

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Works fine for me...tho i don't get much out of it.

Must be me.
same here..no wrist prob but it doesnt do much for me...i much prefer close grip bench...and also decline skull crushers using an ez bar.

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
seems they say to do it on a smith machine..
i dont like smith mach except as a once in awhile variation to change things up or if there's no one around to spot you on a lift...so as a rule i dont use the smith machine because the bar wont follow the body's normal range of motion since the bar moves in a fixed plane....

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Works best for me when I lower the bar to my lower abs, and push up from there. Takes the stress off the wrists and works the outer tris quite well. Try those skull crushers with a reverse grip too, but be careful you dont drop the bar on your head:)

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
but be careful you dont drop the bar on your head:)
this only applies to normal folks tho...i can think of a coula guya at my gym who would benefit from a good whack on the head...heh :p :eek:

B

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
problem is, most people who would benefit from the bar dropping on them can't lift enough for it to do substantial damage...

P

Pro

Awards
I was thinking of giving this a try, but I am now discouraged after most of you said it doesn't do much for your triceps.

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
For me, reverse grip bench on a smith machine is one of my favorite tri exercises along with close grip and then skullcrushers. Some combination of these and my tri's are usually trashed. I don't do pushdowns or other cable stuff much for the tri's, instead I prefer compound exercises. Give it a try, go hard and heavy, and see what you think.

D

dieseldude

Awards
I use that movement along with heavy close grip bench for strong powerful tri's.
Cables and other lighter movements after my arms are fried...........

If you let the weight come down a little lower than your sternum it relieves the wrist discomfort alot!