Deadlift form

kangas87

Awards
I was wondering if anyone can give me some answers on low back pain after deadlifting?
My form is good and I’ve done tonnes or research on how to do them properly and such, and I feel fine while doing them but the day after my lower back hurts when I’ll bend down to pick something up. Doesn’t feel like muscle soreness. I’d like to know if I’m just worrying too much and should just push through it or if I’m destroying my back. Any replies appreciated.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't push through bad pain. Skip the deads at worst case. Show a vid of form. Check with a doc maybe and you can always do other great excercizes for lower back

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe toss up a video if you have one.

Obviously something is off if you are ending up in pain but it could be a ton of different things.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check and see if you are flat footed. I am serious. Once I got custom insoles and started deadlifting in them and not barefoot, it made a WORLD of difference. I don't even feel pressure in my lower back anymore.

kangas87

Awards
Check and see if you are flat footed. I am serious. Once I got custom insoles and started deadlifting in them and not barefoot, it made a WORLD of difference. I don't even feel pressure in my lower back anymore.
I’ve heard of that issue and I don’t think I am but I’ll look into it

kangas87

Awards
Don't push through bad pain. Skip the deads at worst case. Show a vid of form. Check with a doc maybe and you can always do other great excercizes for lower back
I have other lower back exercises that seem to work well and cause no pain, but I’m into the powerlifting aspect and hoping to get strong on the big lifts I don’t have a video but I’ll get one when I can

kangas87

Awards
Maybe toss up a video if you have one.

Obviously something is off if you are ending up in pain but it could be a ton of different things.
That’s the logical assumption but I guess I’m wondering if I just have a bad back or something

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
How often are you deadlifting and how much volume?

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anyone can give me some answers on low back pain after deadlifting?
My form is good and I’ve done tonnes or research on how to do them properly and such, and I feel fine while doing them but the day after my lower back hurts when I’ll bend down to pick something up. Doesn’t feel like muscle soreness. I’d like to know if I’m just worrying too much and should just push through it or if I’m destroying my back. Any replies appreciated.
Deadlifting is one of the most badazz excersizes, but everyone's not built to deadlift crazy weight. When i started lifting over 400 regularly.my muscles.were.still.gettimg stronger, but i dont think my skeleton was made for that. I still deadlift, but keep it around 225 275 and go for reps. Also, ice baths for any and all joint problems, back especially.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
After getting most of my injuries from deadlifts, I decided to set some limits for myself, especially until I heal up completely. When I deadlift from the floor I go double overhand and only use a weight I can pull for reps without straps. I average a 600lb deadlift with straps, so without I usually can bang out with 315 for reps and 365 if reps are less than 5. I find this really develops my forearms and grip as well, so I like it and I don’t have the back pain. Most of my dead’s now are rack pull though. I am able to load a lot of weight and not get the pain in my lower back. If you are lifting for hypertrophy then this is more optimal imo, but if your a power lifter, my suggestions probably won’t make sense. Just my 2cents!

Dragoninho

Awards
  • Established
As some have said above:
1:Video yourself.
2: Pull with double overhand grip and DO NOT use straps. I don’t care how much you can pull with straps. If you can’t hold on to the bar by yourself, you lifting too heavy.
3: Reset every rep
4: Really pull the slack out of the bar/get supertight in the start.
5: Do not do high rep
6: Deload, decrease intensity and volume and SLOWLY ramp up again with perfect technique.

Just a few fingers when I don’t how a clue about how you actually lifting. Probably forget some pointers... ��.
Good luck!

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ass down, head up, look at the ceiling, back straight, hands even, lats flared, lift from the legs.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You should push through muscle soreness but definitely not through back pain

kangas87

Awards
How often are you deadlifting and how much volume?
Once a week 1-3 sets of 5 reps. sets depend how I’m feeling. Only once a week partially because it’s such a taxing exercise, and partially because of the issues I’m having

kangas87

Awards
As some have said above:
1:Video yourself.
2: Pull with double overhand grip and DO NOT use straps. I don’t care how much you can pull with straps. If you can’t hold on to the bar by yourself, you lifting too heavy.
3: Reset every rep
4: Really pull the slack out of the bar/get supertight in the start.
5: Do not do high rep
6: Deload, decrease intensity and volume and SLOWLY ramp up again with perfect technique.

Just a few fingers when I don’t how a clue about how you actually lifting. Probably forget some pointers... .
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I definitely do most of the things you listed, and have never pulled with straps and always double overhand because my grip can handle it. I think the main thing I need now is just to video my form. So I’ll get that next time I do deadlifts and maybe throw the video up if I’m still having trouble

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice. I definitely do most of the things you listed, and have never pulled with straps and always double overhand because my grip can handle it. I think the main thing I need now is just to video my form. So I’ll get that next time I do deadlifts and maybe throw the video up if I’m still having trouble
I bet you will find your spine flexing under load. Even just a tiny bit of loaded flexion will give you that kind of chronic soreness.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Once a week 1-3 sets of 5 reps. sets depend how I’m feeling. Only once a week partially because it’s such a taxing exercise, and partially because of the issues I’m having
No problems there then, that's pretty sensible volume. If all else fails you could try deadlifting every other week and do RDLs or hypers or something on the other week.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No problems there then, that's pretty sensible volume. If all else fails you could try deadlifting every other week and do RDLs or hypers or something on the other week.
Maybe that's TOO much. I only do 1 set of 3 reps. I only train deads for strength and not size.