How do you stay motivated?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by DGator86 View Post
    Iím going to say something different than anybody else here but I really think you should just try doing something different.
    I am one of the few CrossFit people on this board and I would definitely say it keeps me going every single day. For the competition with others in my gym and the competition with myself. My ****tiest days are still days that I make an hour to come to the gym and get it out. Also nice part being that itís only an hour.

It will get you in shape, motivate you, make you new friends, and if youíre single, get you some new strange.
    Just my $0.02
    CrossFit can be good, or it can be terrible, depending on where you go snd your approach if it. If you view every workout as an actual competition to the point of sacrificing form for time/reps, then youíre setting yourself up for injury and not optimizing your progress, but if you push yourself just enough without sacrificing form, then it can be useful.

Iíll never do those kipping pull-ups though haha.

2. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    CrossFit can be good, or it can be terrible, depending on where you go snd your approach if it. If you view every workout as an actual competition to the point of sacrificing form for time/reps, then youíre setting yourself up for injury and not optimizing your progress, but if you push yourself just enough without sacrificing form, then it can be useful.

Iíll never do those kipping pull-ups though haha.
    Facts. As with any gym where coaching is a focus. There are plenty of awful coaches at traditional gyms.

A good coach will be unwavering in form. Youíll hate them for it though lol.

The stigma against kipping is strong, but with balance they arenít that bad. As long as strict doesnít get ignored.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by DGator86 View Post
    Facts. As with any gym where coaching is a focus. There are plenty of awful coaches at traditional gyms.

A good coach will be unwavering in form. Youíll hate them for it though lol.

The stigma against kipping is strong, but with balance they arenít that bad. As long as strict doesnít get ignored.
    My point is if the ONLY pull-ups you do, or the majority even, are kipping pull-ups, youíre not really doing pull-ups. If theyíre a part of some circuit or whatever you CrossFitters call it, thatís more tolerable, but strict pull-ups should still be the primary focus for actual lat work, along with some rows if you CrossFitters do them. Iíd imagine not every workout is a circuit, and sometimes youíll go in and do some straight sets of squats or pull-ups and stuff too?

Iíd imagine Iím terrible at kipping pull-ups, since I always do strict weighted pull-ups with a fairly wide thumbless grip pulling apart on the bar to focus on lats and minimize bicep involvement. Definitely not ideal for maximum speed or momentum haha.

4. And the crossfit convo begins....although it did wonders for my brother in law.

5. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    My point is if the ONLY pull-ups you do, or the majority even, are kipping pull-ups, youíre not really doing pull-ups. If theyíre a part of some circuit or whatever you CrossFitters call it, thatís more tolerable, but strict pull-ups should still be the primary focus for actual lat work, along with some rows if you CrossFitters do them. Iíd imagine not every workout is a circuit, and sometimes youíll go in and do some straight sets of squats or pull-ups and stuff too?

Iíd imagine Iím terrible at kipping pull-ups, since I always do strict weighted pull-ups with a fairly wide thumbless grip pulling apart on the bar to focus on lats and minimize bicep involvement. Definitely not ideal for maximum speed or momentum haha.
    Agreement on all points.

Hahah very true but it gets better over time
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
    And the crossfit convo begins....although it did wonders for my brother in law.
    It works for sure. And itís not like youíre stuck there for ever. Change up the game a little until you want to get back in the old gym. Variation is good for the soul some times.

7. Quote Originally Posted by DGator86 View Post
    Agreement on all points.

Hahah very true but it gets better over time
    But why would I want to get better at kipping pull-ups when I can add more weight to my weighted pull-ups.

But yeah, CrossFit done right can be good, if not ideal for building muscle. Itís just itís SO often not good haha.

8. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    But why would I want to get better at kipping pull-ups when I can add more weight to my weighted pull-ups.

But yeah, CrossFit done right can be good, if not ideal for building muscle. Itís just itís SO often not good haha.
    In my opinion kipping pull-ups are as much pull up as a rowing machine is water rowing. Similar but still very different. Each with a different purpose, both good though at what theyíre intended for.

And to be honest, I wish Crossfit spent more time doing pure strength. But thereís only so many hours in the day so it gets sacrifice more often than not.

It is, I know 🤦🏻*♂️ Trust me, Iíve been doing it for almost 10 years and thereís a lot of good and a lot of bad.

9. Quote Originally Posted by DGator86 View Post
    In my opinion kipping pull-ups are as much pull up as a rowing machine is water rowing. Similar but still very different. Each with a different purpose, both good though at what theyíre intended for.

And to be honest, I wish Crossfit spent more time doing pure strength. But thereís only so many hours in the day so it gets sacrifice more often than not.

It is, I know 🤦🏻*♂️ Trust me, Iíve been doing it for almost 10 years and thereís a lot of good and a lot of bad.
    And what person trying to primarily build muscle uses rowing machines as a core part of their workout? But yeah, weíre not in any real disagreement here.

10. For me, it worked out in my favor. Injuries and major work hours forced me to freeze my gym membership last September. By January, I was feeling better and work slowed down. I started back in the gym and feel awesome!
    Sometimes, we just need a break. Mentally and physically.
    SEMPER FI!!

11. You do it because itís just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesnít mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it ďThe HateĒ. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

In a word, you must be driven.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You do it because itís just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesnít mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it ďThe HateĒ. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

I like this, thanks

13. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You do it because itís just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesnít mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it ďThe HateĒ. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

Word!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You do it because it’s just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesn’t mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it “The Hate”. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

And it keeps you sane.
    My other Username is Admin of AM. Yes, him.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 07:19 PM
  2. How do you stay lean?
    By liveactioncow in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
  3. How do you post an avatar?
    By Lifeguard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM