Need to bring up my biggest weak point(arms) looking for advice

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Need to bring up my biggest weak point(arms) looking for advice

Hello everyone. Iím looking for some training advice on how to bring up my arms. They are a weak point of mine that I want to bring up to balance out my physique more.

I currently run a p/p/l split. Start out with heavy compounds, then isolation work. I feel like one of my biggest downfalls as to why my arms are lagging is because I tend to hit them later on in my workouts.

Iím going to add an individual arm day now so my new split would go p/p/l/ arms/ rest

What do you guys recommend as for training? Arms have always been tricky for me, itís very hard to progressively to get stronger on doing isolation movements like curls. Should I be more focusing on adding more volume? Weight? Or both. Any input would be appreciated

2. My arms are the weakest and most stubborn of my body parts too. Volume has worked better for my arms than just heavy brute force. You should see some decent improvements from from adding in an individual day for arms only.
    •   

3. You could add in an arm day and remove isolation from you push pull split. Then pick either push or pull or legs as a priority for your physique.

For instance if you want to bring up your chest and shoulders do something like this: pull, push, legs, arms, rest, push, rest

To bring up back do something like this:
    Push, pull, legs, arms, rest, pull, rest

As I said if you going to do this I would drop the isolation work on your push and pull days. Letís your arms get stimulated from the compound movements and give them their own days. Also not to sound funny but you may need to simply just add more muscle overall.
    Chaos & Pain Rep

4. I heard both Piana and CT Fletcher say they were doing arms every workout in the beginning to get big arms.

I started to do this with rear delts and it made a big difference, I don’t kill them but every workout I do at least one exercise rear delts, regardless of muscle group I’m working that day, sometimes I even do some with bands at home on days off from the gym.

5. I train arms and my calfs 3 times per week at varying rep ranges, rest periods and varying loads. I have been using this system for 20+ years and it works great. At one point, when I was juicing heavy many years ago, my arms got very big, I had dial the workouts way back and the juice!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by BBiceps View Post
    I heard both Piana and CT Fletcher say they were doing arms every workout in the beginning to get big arms.

I started to do this with rear delts and it made a big difference, I don’t kill them but every workout I do at least one exercise rear delts, regardless of muscle group I’m working that day, sometimes I even do some with bands at home on days off from the gym.

Most guys can not recover quick enough for that. A lot of guys will actually see more growth from dialing the volume back if they were frequently training them. I think it could help for short periods of overreaching, but this could lead to some tendonitis real quick if you do it indefinitely.
    Chaos & Pain Rep

7. Unlike compound lifts and large muscle groups, I wouldnít focus on lifting a ton of weight. Focus on really isolating those target muscles when youíre doing isolation work. Really work the muscle through the FULL range of motion, and flex it through the lift, donít just move the weight, flex it up with a focused contraction. My biceps are probably my strongest point, and I rarely ever curl more than 40s with dumbbells or 100 with a bar. But I really flex the biceps the entire lift, if that makes any sense, and I have constant tension in them the entire set. No going limp or relaxing during the set unless itís at the end so you can knock out one or two more reps.

And Piana and CT arenít/werenít exactly the best bodybuilders or experts in the world, so why listen to them really? Arnoldís arms were much better and he didnít do them every workout. Neither did pretty much any actual bodybuilder lol.

8. Too many people just go through the motions and throw around heavy weights, never really getting a full ROM, a good contraction and peak flex, or constant time under tension. Those are key for arms IMO.

9. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    Most guys can not recover quick enough for that. A lot of guys will actually see more growth from dialing the volume back if they were frequently training them. I think it could help for short periods of overreaching, but this could lead to some tendonitis real quick if you do it indefinitely.
    I disagree

10. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    And Piana and CT aren’t/weren’t exactly the best bodybuilders or experts in the world.
    Well, Piana had some enormous arms and CT had a world record in biceps curl so they probably know more than most and if a world record holder is not an expert I don’t know who is...
  11. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Improve Form
    Eliminate Momentum
    Focus on proper execution of the movement
    Proper Rep Tempo (slow negatives to stretch the muscle)
    Mind Muscle Connection > Form
    Prioritize them in your training (Do them first if you do push/pull/legs or upper/lower)
    Intensity Techniques --> DropSets, Accumulation Sets, Partials, Iso-Holds, BFR Training)
    Build Fast Formula Vasoblitz & FullBlitz --- Coupon: Bob15

12. Quote Originally Posted by BBiceps View Post
    Well, Piana had some enormous arms and CT had a world record in biceps curl so they probably know more than most and if a world record holder is not an expert I donít know who is...
    Piana also had all sorts of site injections and oil in his arms, and bodybuilders donít care about trying to curl as much weight as possible. Would you ask a powerlifter about bodybuilding? Because thatís what CT was actually successful as. Arnoldís arms made them both look bad in comparison, and so did Ronnieís, and neither of them did every day arm workouts. So you showed two people who didnít even have close to the most impressive biceps from a bodybuilding perspective and tell me that somehow their way is the best for building big biceps when a plethora of people with better biceps didnít do this? Hell, Iím not a fan of Phil Heath, but his biceps are leagues above CT and Pianaís ever were, and he doesnít train them every day either.

13. Ironically, the old CT who was a big strong powerlifter who joked about eating McDonalds between sets of super heavy bench presses for easy reps was awesome. The new CT who puts on this always angry drill sergeant thing where he ďcommands your arms to growĒ while shouting at them isnít nearly as interesting to watch IMO.

And some of CTís workouts are asinine. Go watch some of Infinite Elgentensityís videos where he rips him apart for how stupid some of the workouts are.
  14. Need to bring up my biggest weak point(arms) looking for advice

You can always just do chest and back on one day, and arms on another, so you can hit them when theyíre fresh, while not pre-exhausting them to where theyíd be tired and hurt your bench/rows later in the workout. And arms are very easy to superset, so you can even work them both evenly so you donít have to place all your focus on only biceps or only triceps. Arnold was a big fan of supersetting arms, and Arnold had perhaps the best biceps in bodybuilding history.

15. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Piana also had all sorts of site injections and oil in his arms, and bodybuilders don’t care about trying to curl as much weight as possible. Would you ask a powerlifter about bodybuilding? Because that’s what CT was actually successful as. Arnold’s arms made them both look bad in comparison, and so did Ronnie’s, and neither of them did every day arm workouts. So you showed two people who didn’t even have close to the most impressive biceps from a bodybuilding perspective and tell me that somehow their way is the best for building big biceps when a plethora of people with better biceps didn’t do this? Hell, I’m not a fan of Phil Heath, but his biceps are leagues above CT and Piana’s ever were, and he doesn’t train them every day either.
    I never said they were the best, I said that that’s was what they did to get the arms to grow and I used the same concept with luck. I suggested OP to try it but hey, good job arguing about who have the best biceps!

16. OP, do you have much experience with high volume training?. If not, have a read here. https://skinnyfattransformation.com/...pump-training/ It's a basic introduction to pump training. You have to let go of the ego as you'll be lifting what others will deem laughable loads but if you can push through the pain as your arms swell in the latter sets your arms will grow. I train arms at the end of leg day (twice a week)

17. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    I train arms at the end of leg day (twice a week)
    I like this suggestion. My personal best compound movement is deadlifts. And I've had good luck bringing up arms and posterior delts on deadlift days.

18. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Too many people just go through the motions and throw around heavy weights, never really getting a full ROM, a good contraction and peak flex, or constant time under tension. Those are key for arms IMO.
    This!
    Key for all muscles really
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

19. I always enjoy training arms, so I've always had an arm day. Usually I also do opposing exercise supersets (eg, bicep curls superset with skull crushers). But I feel that triceps press downs with a v-bar always gave me the best growth for triceps, one of my favorite exercises.

20. Outside of the usual just improving quality of the movement I think your initial assessment is a good start. Try adding a dedicated day and see how that works.

Iím a fan of increasing overall volume, typically through frequency, for weak points in a sort of overload/overreach followed by backing off that muscle (or back to similar initial volume) after a certain period of time.

21. Not really a bodybuilder but some personal observations/opinions:

The biggest drivers of growth are weighted dips for triceps and weighted chins biceps, you can fit these in wherever in your program (e.g. chest and back or push and pull days)

After that it's close-grip bench and heavy standing curls, these work well together as the main lifts of an arm day.

Give arms their own day, you can get away with doing it in lieu of a rest day as long as you're not doing something silly.

You can train biceps to some degree basically every day. That might be something light like high rep dumbbell curls tacked on to the end of a workout.

You can do triceps 3-4 times a week (including pressing movements).

Best results come from a mix of heavy low reps and aggressive progression and high rep pump-chasing stuff, with myo reps, rest pause, drop sets, etc.

Mixing up your grip from day to day will save your elbows, swap between straight bar, ez bar, football bar, fat gripz, rope, towel, etc. Pure broscience but I think those is one of those times where "muscle confusion" makes sense.
    bang and your gains are gone

22. Thanks for all the replies guys. Really good advice. Been doing this for a little over a week now. But Iíve increased my total volume on arm training. I like my P/P/L routine rn. But Iíve switched it up to P/P/L/arms. On my push and pull days I go for high volume arm training with light weights, focusing on training the muscle to failure and getting a good pump/ mind muscle connection. On the individual arm days I combine it with shoulders as well, so arms and shoulders (shoulders can never be too big lol) and focus on heavier movements. Then go to isolation work. So overall Iíve increased my total volume with my arms. Hopefully I see some growth within the next coming months!!!

23. Quote Originally Posted by Mitch_310 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Really good advice. Been doing this for a little over a week now. But Iíve increased my total volume on arm training. I like my P/P/L routine rn. But Iíve switched it up to P/P/L/arms. On my push and pull days I go for high volume arm training with light weights, focusing on training the muscle to failure and getting a good pump/ mind muscle connection. On the individual arm days I combine it with shoulders as well, so arms and shoulders (shoulders can never be too big lol) and focus on heavier movements. Then go to isolation work. So overall Iíve increased my total volume with my arms. Hopefully I see some growth within the next coming months!!!
    On my arm and shoulder days, Iíve also added some more cardio in as well for active recovery and to keep my endurance up. I also take dmaa pre workout a few times a week when I really want to hit it hard. Stuff is mad good, but I can see how people get addicted/build a tolerance to this thing fast

24. Quote Originally Posted by Mitch_310 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Really good advice. Been doing this for a little over a week now. But I’ve increased my total volume on arm training. I like my P/P/L routine rn. But I’ve switched it up to P/P/L/arms. On my push and pull days I go for high volume arm training with light weights, focusing on training the muscle to failure and getting a good pump/ mind muscle connection. On the individual arm days I combine it with shoulders as well, so arms and shoulders (shoulders can never be too big lol) and focus on heavier movements. Then go to isolation work. So overall I’ve increased my total volume with my arms. Hopefully I see some growth within the next coming months!!!
    Good luck
    Chaos & Pain Rep

25. Quote Originally Posted by BBiceps View Post
    Well, Piana had some enormous arms and CT had a world record in biceps curl so they probably know more than most and if a world record holder is not an expert I don’t know who is...
    Realize a few things... ct was a big guy, around 300 lbs, so was piana. Ct was lifitng huge poundages. Also piana had pmma implants.... so there’s that.

Here’s one thing that will work for most... put ten pounds of lean muscle on and your arms should be about an inch bigger
    Chaos & Pain Rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2017, 11:44 PM
  2. Any supplement deals coming up? Need to buy all my supps again.
    By ForceOfNature in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-20-2017, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
  4. Need to switch up my routine! Need some help !
    By Krypt in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
  5. any need to stock up on research chems?
    By ps24eva in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 11:46 AM