Training Slump

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys, just finished a 1 andro cycle, did really well using a homemade hypertrophy program, upper/lower 4 days a week total. I'm looking to recomp for the next few months, but I dont think I can quite keep up with the volume and Linear progress I was making on 1 andro. I like to lift 3-4 days a week and hit every muscle group 2 or 3x a week. I've run 5/3/1 and got stronger, but as far as muscular development was lacking especially hamstrings. I was looking at PHAT but its 5 days a week, and just being realistic I wont make it to the gym 5x a week. My legs are my weak point so I like to really hammer them. Anyone have any good suggestions?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A couple of things come to mind....

upper, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest, rest

Or

Upper, rest, lower, rest and keep repeating that 4 day split no matter what day they land on

Or

Legs, push, pull, rest, legs, rest, rest

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been doing upper/lower/rest/upper/lower and I like it and it works well for my schedule, and if I have to push a workout off a day I just pick up wherever I left off so I'm never skipping workouts.. I guess I'm more confused about how I should be progressing, as in should I keep pushing for linear progression and just adding reps until I hit a rep goal, then increase the weight and keep adding reps, or is it time to start looking at periodization and things like that? I've never strictly planned my workouts for long periods, so periodization isnt something I'm really familiar with. Again I'm going more for aesthetics than pure strength

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You said dont think you can, has it already stalled out or are you preducting it will.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good call.. I guess I'm *assuming* it will.. and in that case I should just keep pushing what's working until it truly does stall right?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One thing I can tell you is a lot of guys don’t consider food. Food should be your chief anabolic. Especially when you come off cycle you should be eating as much if not more at times to continue progressing. The issue with this occurs when your more concerned with body composition. But if your focused on gaining muscle and strentgh, food should be utilized to keep progressing

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you like 5/3/1 I would keep it and just add a hamstrings exercise every workout (or whatever you feel you’re lacking). I was reading somewhere (T-Nation I think) to finish every session with your weakest lift to bring it up, if that’s hamstring, finish with stiff legged DL (or whatever you like).

For example, my rear delts was lacking so I started to do a little bit of rear delts every day, regardless of muscle group I’m working that day, and it have made a big difference in my rear delts.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good call I definitely like the idea of hammering the weak points to bring them up. Some great ideas guys thanks.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you're stalling on LP there's no point trying to force it to work, there also no need to go into something like 531 which is extremely slow progression for someone just coming off LP.

Based on your preferences, I'd structure your week like: upper volume/lower volume/rest/upper intensity/lower intensity/rest/rest

Volume days would be something like 5x5, 4x8, 3x10, sets across.

Intensity days would be something like 5x3 or 3x5, ascending sets