Lower body fat= more size?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Lower body fat= more size?

Iíve been noticing that the less I weigh/less body fat I have, the bigger I look! Obviously due to muscle definition and what not but it makes me wonder if a lot of people have the concept of being aesthetic wrong, it is more low bf than it is having muscle, others think this is true? Chime in

2. Quote Originally Posted by loganyy View Post
    Iíve been noticing that the less I weigh/less body fat I have, the bigger I look! Obviously due to muscle definition and what not but it makes me wonder if a lot of people have the concept of being aesthetic wrong, it is more low bf than it is having muscle, others think this is true? Chime in
    Coming from a guy that maintains sub 10% bf year round. I can for sure say with certainty you do appear much bigger than you actually are. Iím about 173lbs at 5í9, Iím by now means big. But whenever I tell people my weight they seem surprised as to how light I am. Also, Iíve noticed you look much much bigger in photos too when youíre very lean

There are downsides though. You can still look good in clothes (if there are tight enough) but just walking around in public without a pump you wonít look jacked. Sure youíll look good but not big, (if that matters to you). The constant diet too can be a bit challenging at times as well and Iíve noticed to stay this lean I havenít added that much muscle. (About 2-3 pounds in the last 5ish months)

The main thing also about low bf is that is enhances your proportions. So your waist will appear very small while your shoulders nice and broad. Also, when in good lighting + pump you will look insane.
    •   

3. When someone has low BF% and weighs between 160 and 180, they will look bigger, better, with their clothing off than someone around 200 with higher BF% because someone with lower BF% usually has more lean mass.

4. Why not both? To the average person you can look big/muscular pretty much by just having a bit of muscle and being lean (hell, people think Brad Pitt from Fight Club was ripped lol), but for people that are into fitness/bodybuilding/etc. youíll still need a solid amount of muscle to look big/aesthetic.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mitch_310 View Post
    Coming from a guy that maintains sub 10% bf year round. I can for sure say with certainty you do appear much bigger than you actually are. Iím about 173lbs at 5í9, Iím by now means big. But whenever I tell people my weight they seem surprised as to how light I am. Also, Iíve noticed you look much much bigger in photos too when youíre very lean

There are downsides though. You can still look good in clothes (if there are tight enough) but just walking around in public without a pump you wonít look jacked. Sure youíll look good but not big, (if that matters to you). The constant diet too can be a bit challenging at times as well and Iíve noticed to stay this lean I havenít added that much muscle. (About 2-3 pounds in the last 5ish months)

The main thing also about low bf is that is enhances your proportions. So your waist will appear very small while your shoulders nice and broad. Also, when in good lighting + pump you will look insane.
    This. I can go from ďdo you even liftĒ to ďyou have insane bicepsĒ by changing my shirt lol.
    •   

6. The golden ratio looks pretty good regardless of size and it's quite easy to achieve with low bodyfat and a little upper body mass.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    The golden ratio looks pretty good regardless of size and it's quite easy to achieve with low bodyfat and a little upper body mass.
    I have some questions about the validity of the golden ratio as it pertains to the human body. They claim that the ratio of 1.618:1 is ideal, or ďGolden.Ē But we canít really perceive of circumference when looking at someone from one view, can we? So if Iím looking at your chest/shoulders and waist, Iím not seeing a 49Ē Chest and a 30Ē waist; Iím seeing whatever the width of the shoulders and waist are; so the diameter, not the circumference. Does the Golden ratio still hold up then? All the other examples on the human body that claim to have the Golden ratio measure linear distance, not circumference, or anything curvilinear at all. The engineer in me doubts that this is truly an example of the Golden ratio.

8. This is a very interesting topic.

9. I typically walk around 215ish with about 12-13% BF and simply dropping some water weight by consuming less sodium and being a little more strict with my diet, I will look shredded and always get comments. If I was a little more vain, I'd probably do this more, but when pool season isn't around I just don't care enough.

10. I think for most being very lean year round probably means sacrificing strength......now if your on the smaller side that probably means strength isn’t great (I know there’s exceptions and I’m sure people on here are pulling 500+ at 170 and 8% but for most people I think my statement would hold true).

Don’t get me wrong I’m in this for the aesthetics but if a grizzly bear attacks my wife and kids I want a fighting chance against the big furry c unt

I’d sacrifice being really lean for being lean (12-13%) but strong.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I think for most being very lean year round probably means sacrificing strength......now if your on the smaller side that probably means strength isnít great (I know thereís exceptions and Iím sure people on here are pulling 500+ at 170 and 8% but for most people I think my statement would hold true).

Donít get me wrong Iím in this for the aesthetics but if a grizzly bear attacks my wife and kids I want a fighting chance against the big furry c unt

Iíd sacrifice being really lean for being lean (12-13%) but strong.
    In all fairness, an extra 50 pounds on your deadlift probably isnít going to give you much more of a chance to fight off a grizzly bear lol. A gun would probably be a better tool to defend yourself from a grizzly bear attack.

12. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    In all fairness, an extra 50 pounds on your deadlift probably isn’t going to give you much more of a chance to fight off a grizzly bear lol. A gun would probably be a better tool to defend yourself from a grizzly bear attack.
    I like to think fairness cuts both ways so if I had a gun the bear should also have one....

Whilst I have no doubt I’d be the underdog I’d go down swinging for sure lol

13. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I like to think fairness cuts both ways so if I had a gun the bear should also have one....

Whilst I have no doubt Iíd be the underdog Iíd go down swinging for sure lol
    Ah, the right to arm bears. The foundation of America.

14. Also, fair is fair, so when a bear is able to build a gun, itís welcome to use it.

15. Quote Originally Posted by loganyy View Post
    I’ve been noticing that the less I weigh/less body fat I have, the bigger I look! Obviously due to muscle definition and what not but it makes me wonder if a lot of people have the concept of being aesthetic wrong, it is more low bf than it is having muscle, others think this is true? Chime in
    This is the beauty of illusion my friend. As you cut down you will look bigger because you midsection will get smaller and your frame will be more pronounced
    Chaos & Pain Rep

16. I’ve been sitting sub 10 body fat, 5 foot 9, at around 155-160ish, and I look bigger than 90% dudes at the gym on campus.... they all think I’m like 180-190. I laugh and say sure, they ask how much I bench and I know my low bf and underconsumption of calories makes my lifts not as impressive so I scratch the back of my neck and say “I haven’t actually maxed in a few months, but when I did it was about 275”* then proceed to pull out a video of me at the peak of my bulk and cycle from last year* and they are like woah wow damn I wouldn’t **** with you bro... I smirk and keep the secret to myself, then they ask me “how do I get big” I say “ just eat as much as u possibly can and lift heavy” so they never achieve the low bf and shredded physique so that way I Can look better surrounded by fluffy guys ����

17. Quote Originally Posted by loganyy View Post
    Iíve been sitting sub 10 body fat, 5 foot 9, at around 155-160ish, and I look bigger than 90% dudes at the gym on campus.... they all think Iím like 180-190. I laugh and say sure, they ask how much I bench and I know my low bf and underconsumption of calories makes my lifts not as impressive so I scratch the back of my neck and say ďI havenít actually maxed in a few months, but when I did it was about 275Ē* then proceed to pull out a video of me at the peak of my bulk and cycle from last year* and they are like woah wow damn I wouldnít **** with you bro... I smirk and keep the secret to myself, then they ask me ďhow do I get bigĒ I say ď just eat as much as u possibly can and lift heavyĒ so they never achieve the low bf and shredded physique so that way I Can look better surrounded by fluffy guys ����
    Sorry bro, but youíre not that big; unless your college gym is an anomaly, youíre not bigger than 90% of the dudes there. At the gym where I went to school youíd be lucky to be in the top 50%. 275 also isnít that impressive of a bench at apparently heavier than 160 since you were bulking. Check your ego.

18. Also, are you saying you intentionally give bad advice to people asking you so you can stay ahead of them? Who do you think you are, Arnold in Pumping Iron?
  19. Lower body fat= more size?

Name:  775A95CF-D255-41B1-8EEB-50CA02162502-6149-00000860FD1F6E37.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  72.0 KB

20. They have college home schooling?

21. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    They have college home schooling?
    Maybe itís an all-girls college?

22. Wait did OP reply to his own thread trying to pump himself up?

I was going to answer seriously but this took a turn a couple times.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve10 View Post
    Wait did OP reply to his own thread trying to pump himself up?

I was going to answer seriously but this took a turn a couple times.
    Holy s**t, I didnít even realize it was his thread. Top class troll!

24. Hahaha, classic. I didn't notice.

25. I’m bigger than 95%% dudes on this forum, that’s all I have to say
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
  3. advice on lowering body fat
    By biggs14 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM