Growing legs without squats....

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve10 View Post
    This literally makes no sense.

Donít do them because they donít work. Oh wait they do if you do them perfect. But you canít do them perfect.

Do you understand how that makes no sense.

You literally listed front squats as an option too. If you can front squat you can perform a back squat with the proper form as well.

Yes people can build with squats. People can improve their form with them. Itís not going to just automatically give you a big waist. Thereís an innumerable amount of people who go against that.
    Front squats and back squat have a completely different center of balance, but ok... I guess Vince Gironda didnít know what he was talking about.
    Do as I say, not as I do.

2. Growing legs without squats, as is the point of the OP, was definitely what Vince would have recommended. Thus his principles and techniques should be encouraged in a thread like this. As that is the whole idea behind them.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    I didnít say it, Vince Gironda said it and Iím inclined to agree wholeheartedly. Yíall are forgetting that part. This isnít just something I cooked up. Hahahaha
    Heís the only one worth listening to? Arnold squatted and recommends it. So does Zane. And Haney. Etc. etc. I said that Vince has one view, but itís far from the only view, and not absolute. You do you, but donít masquerade one view as definitive fact...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    Not big gut, big ass and core. Wide waist, bulky look.
    Frank Zane, Lee Haney, and Buchanan (who I posted a pic of) all had wide waists and bulky looks, right?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    Growing legs without squats, as is the point of the OP, was definitely what Vince would have recommended. Thus his principles and techniques should be encouraged in a thread like this. As that is the whole idea behind them.
    Heís doing it because of injuries/pain, not trying to keep a small waist. Can OP do front squats?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Heís doing it because of injuries/pain, not trying to keep a small waist. Can OP do front squats?
    Can he do leg extensions and hamstring curls? Donkey calf raises?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    Front squats and back squat have a completely different center of balance, but ok... I guess Vince Gironda didnít know what he was talking about.
    No you donít know what you are talking about. Obviously they have a different center of gravity but itís not THAT big of a difference. Someone who routinely performs proper squats could demonstrate that. A picture at the bottom position of an overhead, front, back high bar then low bar would show subtle shifts but not massive changes in the dynamic of the lift.

But you do you. I knew better than to engage with a know it all troll like you, but couldnít help it. Iíll continue ignoring you in all your threads because every post you have seems to come from bizarro world.

I just feel bad allowing someone so blatantly wrong all the time to spread information that could confuse those looking for helpful input. Iím fine differing with those on the board but you literally fly in the face of everyone.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    Can he do leg extensions and hamstring curls? Donkey calf raises?
    You just said do front squats, because you monopolized the topic to talk about the irrelevant topic of waist size, completely ignoring OPs situation in favor of expounding your views when they arenít even relevant...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve10 View Post
    No you donít know what you are talking about. Obviously they have a different center of gravity but itís not THAT big of a difference. Someone who routinely performs proper squats could demonstrate that. A picture at the bottom position of an overhead, front, back high bar then low bar would show subtle shifts but not massive changes in the dynamic of the lift.

But you do you. I knew better than to engage with a know it all troll like you, but couldnít help it. Iíll continue ignoring you in all your threads because every post you have seems to come from bizarro world.

I just feel bad allowing someone so blatantly wrong all the time to spread information that could confuse those looking for helpful input. Iím fine differing with those on the board but you literally fly in the face of everyone.
    Could have something to do with trends in training over several decades versus focusing on the past two. But hey, I guess I donít know anything...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    Could have something to do with trends in training over several decades versus focusing on the past two. But hey, I guess I donít know anything...
    Arnold squatted. Zane squatted. Olivia was a power lifter who squatted. Squatting has been poplar for several decades too, and by people with amazing waists. Youíre so focused on only one guyís recommendation you have blinders on to everyone else.
  11. Growing legs without squats....

Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    You just said do front squats, because you monopolized the topic to talk about the irrelevant topic of waist size, completely ignoring OPs situation in favor of expounding your views when they arenít even relevant...
    Well I canít/wonít back squat because I have had a broken neck... so my input was coming partly from that standpoint. That being said I took a risk and back squatted 335 just a couple of months ago.

I wonít be doing that again.
  12. Growing legs without squats....

I was just trying to give him the confirmation that even one of the greatest trainers of all time didnít think they were necessary and moreover thought they were aesthetically harmful to anyone who didnít have extremely narrow hip bones such as Buchanan etc.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Old Witch View Post
    I was just trying to give him the confirmation that even one of the greatest trainers of all time didnít think they were necessary and moreover thought they were aesthetically harmful to anyone who didnít have extremely narrow hip bones such as Buchanan etc.
    Arnold had a naturally wide waist, he admits such, but he still did squats and hit amazing vacuums and is widely regarded as the best bodybuilder of all time.

Just tell him the RELEVANT parts of Vinceís beliefs, and focus on how you can help OP, donít turn it into a diatribe about how squats ruin waists.

14. And why is it ok to squat if you have narrow hips? Why would it not still make their waists a little bigger? Either it makes waists wider or not...
  15. Growing legs without squats....

Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    And why is it ok to squat if you have narrow hips? Why would it not still make their waists a little bigger? Either it makes waists wider or not...
    Because the waist isnít going to exceed the width of the hips unless youíre grossly overeating, sedentary or similar. I guess unless youíre genetically cursed.

16. I build some of my best legs without squats. Iy\t sounds like you have long femure bones. Tall people lets say over 5ft11 and/or people with shorter torsos, longer lower bodies have this issue. Do some research on femure bone length and squatting.

Although, for my height at 6 ft 2.5 my lower and upper body are about even, I still have long femures, and I get more out of leg press, hacks, leg extensions. Other exercises as well, these are just about the bread and butter. Cable squats are a good option as well.

This is me in 2017 at chicago's JR Nats on the far right. Anyone that knows me know I have impressive quads.

https://imgur.com/a/JQMFnVG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    50% off the entire month of January! AMJAN50

17. My legs are definitely my weakest and proportionally underdeveloped body part. However, they also happen to be very much on the skinny side as part of my natural build. I never really got into squats because I have lumbar compression issues, and my chiropractor told me to never do them. Honestly, I have always been too leary of doing them in fear of injury anyway. It’s always been leg presses and extensions for me.

I have often wondered how much overall progress I have potentially sacrificed. However, the potential of worsening lumbar compression wouldn’t get me anywhere period.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Ricky10 View Post
    My legs are definitely my weakest and proportionally underdeveloped body part. They also happen to be on the skinny side as part of my natural build. I never really got into squats because I have lumbar compression issues, and my chiropractor told me to never do them. Honestly, I have always been too leary of doing them in fear of injury anyway. It’s always been leg presses and extensions for me.

I have often wondered how much overall progress I have potentially sacrificed. However, the potential of worsening lumbar compression wouldn’t get me anywhere period.
    I’ve got a couple blown discs in my low back and find that done properly, and with a belt, high rep squats don’t bother my back at all. The lack of weight makes me feel like a real gash, but doing 30-40 reps makes up for it. Most people can’t tolerate that kind of pain.
    High Intensity Training log, wedding prep:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/305228-wedding-preparation-next.html

19. Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I’ve got a couple blown discs in my low back and find that done properly, and with a belt, high rep squats don’t bother my back at all. The lack of weight makes me feel like a real gash, but doing 30-40 reps makes up for it. Most people can’t tolerate that kind of pain.
    If I were to get adventurous, high reps would definitely be my approach. I know I would injure myself with doing anything overzealous. I get injured just going to the bathroom at my gym if I go for too much!

20. Quote Originally Posted by Ricky10 View Post
    If I were to get adventurous, high reps would definitely be my approach. I know I would injure myself with doing anything overzealous. I get injured just going to the bathroom at my gym if I go for too much!
    I have bad knees and 3 herniated discs and I can squat as long as the weight is reasonable. I never eva go heavy out of possible injury. Def start out with little or no weight and slowly increase the amount and see how it feels.

The one thing I cannot do under any circumstances any longer is deadlifts. F my back up every time, muscles spasms and a locked up back for days.
    Anima Vestra
    Anima Vestra

Latin

21. Quote Originally Posted by Godstrength View Post
    I have bad knees and 3 herniated discs and I can squat as long as the weight is reasonable. I never eva go heavy out of possible injury. Def start out with little or no weight and slowly increase the amount and see how it feels.

The one thing I cannot do under any circumstances any longer is deadlifts. F my back up every time, muscles spasms and a locked up back for days.
    Yup, my chiropractor also told me to avoid deadlifts like the plague! That was a bit before my time, but if the Plague was anything like the gonorrhea I contacted last month, I think avoiding it altogether was solid advice!

Another reason I have avoided squats is that we only have 2-3 squat racks at my gym and availability is an issue. On top of that, there is always at least one being occupied by someone standing in the center of one of them doing dumbbell curls

22. Quote Originally Posted by Ricky10 View Post
    Yup, my chiropractor also told me to avoid deadlifts like the plague! That was a bit before my time, but if the Plague was anything like the gonorrhea I contacted last month, I think avoiding it altogether was solid advice!

Another reason I have avoided squats is that we only have 2-3 squat racks at my gym and availability is an issue. On top of that, there is always at least one being occupied by someone standing in the center of one of them doing dumbbell curls
    If you deal with back issues and really want to see if you can squat and deadlift search out a sports physical therapist or one with a history and background of working with lifters/athletes. Nowadays there are many providers who work with people to get them through these issues and teach the way to do these movements properly while building up any deficiencies they may have do to orthopedic issues or injuries.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Godstrength View Post

Big guts from squatting
    Now thats some funny shyt
    Squatting raises GH and GH grows your intestines therefore squatting increases your gut due to bro knowledge lol

24. Speaking of a thick trunk/core though, deadlifts can have that effect more than squatting I think. For me, squatting makes everything grow.

25. For the record, I didn’t actually have gonorrhea last month

Not that there would be anything wrong with that...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Grow legs without squats?
    By bell1986 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-02-2018, 03:59 PM
  2. Leg Day Routine Without Squats
    By Woody in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
  3. Give me something to add mass to my legs without SQUATS!
    By brownstown89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
  4. How should I work legs without squats?
    By Fergs103 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
  5. Grow Legs, GROW!!!
    By Cuffs in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 08:56 AM