NEED HELP - Starting Greyskull LP

1. NEED HELP - Starting Greyskull LP

Hey everyone,

I have been "working out" for the past 2 years in my garage gym, never really following much of a routine. I started doing "Start Bodyweight: a few months back and integrating correspomnding weighted exercises with it. it has seemed to help but now I am at the point where I would like to add more mass to my frame. I have been "skinny fat" for a while now. I started doing a very low carb diet for the past 3 months and I have been able to eliminate a lot of excess fat (except for somearound the lower abdomen, lower back and lower pectorals. I was doing research on different routines and decided to try Greyskull LP. I went out a purchased micro-weights so I can add them to my bench, squat, deadlift etc. I have had the most difficult time adding size the my chest and biceps. These are 2 areas that I rather enamored with. Here is the routine that I will be doing. Please let me know if adding anything to it with help further the development of my chest especially. I have a squat rack, bench press, deadlifting bar and weigths and a multitude of other dumbells, KBs etc. Also over the summer I was trying Stan Efferding's vertical diet but felt like I gained way too much fat in mid-section so now of course I am probably overly-paranoid about carb intake.... Thanks for the help

Monday
    AM: Fasted Walking - 20 min
    Ladders – Chin Ups & Push Ups
    Villain Challenge: 5 min – 100 Burpees
    PM:
    Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
    Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness 4 x 25
    Tuesday
    PM: Villain Challenge: 5 min – 100 burpees

Wednesday
    AM: Ladders – Push Ups & Chin Ups
    Villain Challenge: 5 min – 100 burpees
    PM:
    Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
    Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
    Neck Harness
    Thursday
    Ladders – Push Ups & Chin Ups

Friday
    Villain Challenge: 5 min – 100 burpees
    PM:
    Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness
    Saturday
    AM: Ladders – Push Ups & Chin Ups

• Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
    • 5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift (when rep ranges are satisfied)
    • 2.5 lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
    • When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

2. Johnny Schaeffer is a hack, I'd forget Greyskull and do a variation of Starting Strength (advanced novice, maybe). His cardio stuff is fine. If you're making the weight progressions in SS then it's ok to do a couple back off sets for higher reps for the upper body stuff and/or some assistance work with dumbells or bodyweight, that'll take care of your chest and shoulder hypertrophy, if you stop progressing then cut the extra work back out.
    bang and your gains are gone
    •   

3. Thanks for the advice!

4. Real talk, micro plates are for newbie women under 160 and the elderly. They serve that place well, but usually the best answer for the average male trainee is to sack up and either lift the next weight or be self-aware enough to reduce the load by 5lbs (or wave back further, or some kind of deload).

Learning that ability to assess your performance in real time is an important part of advancing as a lifter, and furthermore microplates don’t mean much when you’re not using calibrated equipment unless you have explicitly weighed and marked your weights. Very common for a 45 to weigh 42-48lbs.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Real talk, micro plates are for newbie women under 160 and the elderly. They serve that place well, but usually the best answer for the average male trainee is to sack up and either lift the next weight or be self-aware enough to reduce the load by 5lbs (or wave back further, or some kind of deload).

Learning that ability to assess your performance in real time is an important part of advancing as a lifter, and furthermore microplates don’t mean much when you’re not using calibrated equipment unless you have explicitly weighed and marked your weights. Very common for a 45 to weigh 42-48lbs.
    This. 2.5lb per side is the lowest you should ever need to add, and if you can’t lift it, you can’t lift it. Take them off and lift that instead. Better yet, take off another 5 as well. More good clean reps is better than any number of ****ty reps.
    Do as I say, not as I do.
    •   

6. If you want something that’s fun, challenging, and will build both strength and hypertrophy, scroll down to my Black Magick MP.

It’s five full body days a week plus cardio and a forearm day. Every day is a completely different routine, the only thing that stays constant are the rep ranges and sets. 5 sets, progressive load, 12-8 reps to failure.

7. @Old Witch Just looked at Black Magick MP. So is that your current routine? I have a garage gym and lack a few of those things... Figure I could just google and find a sub for each....

8. Quote Originally Posted by STEAKNDEDLIFT View Post
    @Old Witch Just looked at Black Magick MP. So is that your current routine? I have a garage gym and lack a few of those things... Figure I could just google and find a sub for each....
    That is now my current routine, yes. I was doing something similar years and years ago. This is the improved version.
  9. NEED HELP - Starting Greyskull LP

There’s only a very few cable exercises in it, you could substitute cable rows for single hand dumbbell rows (cross body pullback) and the cable wrist exercises for dumbbell wrist exercises. Substitute pull ups for the pull downs and dips for the push downs, back squats instead of leg press.

Leg curls will be hard to substitute, I would suggest calf kickbacks with a band or several. Or chain a kettlebell to your ankles, lay on the bench facing down and curl it with your legs.

10. Bands can definitely be used for a lot of cable movements effectively, provided you get the tension into the right rep ranges.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

11. Thank you very much! Excited to give this a shot

12. Quote Originally Posted by STEAKNDEDLIFT View Post
    Thank you very much! Excited to give this a shot
    Just found out my Good Mornings aren’t what they are.

I do them arms extended with a barbell in hand, start like a straight leg dead lift, rise slowly to standing with arms extended over head, so the movement combines a spinal extension and a front barbell raise to overhead.

When I was in school my football coach called them Good Mornings. No idea what they really are I guess. Do them like that though, not with the barbell on the back. That was my intended movement .

13. got it, I will make note in regards to good mornings
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. need help starting cycle
    By davide in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 03:31 AM
  2. Newish to Prohormones, need help starting.
    By TonyGunsling in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
  3. need help starting a cycle
    By KingCoopa in forum Cycle Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
  4. Need Help starting Clen B
    By TC22 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
  5. Need help starting M-Drol!