I need help getting my squat up

Ytakfow

Ytakfow

Awards
I’ve been weightlifting for about 1 1/2 years and only squatting for a little less than 4 months because I’ve focused more on accessory movements (stupid Ik)

I’m trying to find a split that will help me gain a ton of strength hopefully with my squat. I can prolly do a 155 squat for 1 or 2 reps. Not totally sure of my PR. For my leg press movement, I can do around 410 for 5 or 6 reps, so you can imagine how much of a difference leg press vs squatting actually is.

Anyway, help a sister out! I’m trying to find a good squat split to up my strength.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
If you’re trying to get your squats up best way is to squat. Make sure you’re using perfect form for full squats at least parallel. Go for lower reps like sets of five at least once a week. Throw in a set of high reps like 20 too at the end. Don’t need to do a bunch of sets. Five should do it.

florencenoir

Awards
You could do something like this.

Day 1 Squats + accessory work quadriceps + core
Day 2 Bench + Row + accessory work upper body complete
Day 3 Deadlift + accessory work hamstrings + lower back
Day 4 OFF
Day 5 Squat and Deadlift Variations + accessory work lower body complete
Day 6 OHP + Pull-up + accessory work upper body complete

As a beginner, start using Linear Progression. Add 0 to 5 pounds for each workout session. I also advise buying fractional weight plates to make progression on Bench and OHP.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’d do an upper lower 4 day split. Squat twice a week and make one of those days a standard deadlift day. First lower day could be for example back squats followed by trap bar deadlifts. Second lower day could be front squats followed by barbell Romanian deadlifts

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squat twice a week eventually moving to three times a week.

Like florencenoir suggested linear progression is probably the most successful for those who want to progressively add weight and are relatively new to squatting.

Maybe look at a strong lifts template, Texas method or cowboy method. Last two are pretty squat intensive.

Structure is the best way to increase pounds on any movement.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Squat twice a week eventually moving to three times a week.

Like florencenoir suggested linear progression is probably the most successful for those who want to progressively add weight and are relatively new to squatting.

Maybe look at a strong lifts template, Texas method or cowboy method. Last two are pretty squat intensive.

Structure is the best way to increase pounds on any movement.
Yep, exactly this. Strong lifts would have been my suggestion to anyone looking to increase strength, especially on squat.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agree with above, squat three times a week with rest days in between, middle day you could do lighter for recovery, or a less heavy variation like front squats.