New barbell or ssb

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I am debating between a ssb and rogue Ohio bar. Atm I have a cheap no name barbell that i have had for approximately 8 years. I do squat often and want to increase it. I do not have the money for both atm and will hopefully be able to purchase the other within the year. Thanks I'm advance.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Best way to get better at something is to do that thing - if max squat is the priority right now, train the straight bar. SSB is great when you’re really focusing on a press (saves shoulder stress) or pull (extra back, ab & quad focus). It can be a great secondary move after squatting normally, but if it were me I’d get a quality bar first before ordering specialties. And I’m a big SSB proponent, saying that.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Best way to get better at something is to do that thing - if max squat is the priority right now, train the straight bar. SSB is great when you’re really focusing on a press (saves shoulder stress) or pull (extra back, ab & quad focus). It can be a great secondary move after squatting normally, but if it were me I’d get a quality bar first before ordering specialties. And I’m a big SSB proponent, saying that.
Agreed with this! Get a quality bar first then in the future add others to your arsenal.

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is the Ohio bar one y'all would recommend for performing basic movements. Not wanting to spend more than 300.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Is it just me that thinks Rogue is hugely overpriced and overrated?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is the Ohio bar one y'all would recommend for performing basic movements. Not wanting to spend more than 300.
If money was no object I would look at Duffin’s stuff, but since it is I would consider a Texas Powerbar - it’s the competition standard and a really quality piece of equipment. Elitefts has sales throughout the year on them at different points.

I only have experience with the Ohio deadlift bar, which did not have the longevity that a Texas Deadlift bar has.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is it just me that thinks Rogue is hugely overpriced and overrated?
Overpriced, yes on a lot of their stuff. Overrated, no they make great products, but there are usually alternatives for average lifters.