New barbell or ssb

1. New barbell or ssb

So I am debating between a ssb and rogue Ohio bar. Atm I have a cheap no name barbell that i have had for approximately 8 years. I do squat often and want to increase it. I do not have the money for both atm and will hopefully be able to purchase the other within the year. Thanks I'm advance.

2. Best way to get better at something is to do that thing - if max squat is the priority right now, train the straight bar. SSB is great when youíre really focusing on a press (saves shoulder stress) or pull (extra back, ab & quad focus). It can be a great secondary move after squatting normally, but if it were me Iíd get a quality bar first before ordering specialties. And Iím a big SSB proponent, saying that.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Best way to get better at something is to do that thing - if max squat is the priority right now, train the straight bar. SSB is great when youíre really focusing on a press (saves shoulder stress) or pull (extra back, ab & quad focus). It can be a great secondary move after squatting normally, but if it were me Iíd get a quality bar first before ordering specialties. And Iím a big SSB proponent, saying that.
    Agreed with this! Get a quality bar first then in the future add others to your arsenal.

4. Is the Ohio bar one y'all would recommend for performing basic movements. Not wanting to spend more than 300.

5. Is it just me that thinks Rogue is hugely overpriced and overrated?
    bang and your gains are gone
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by andrewski48 View Post
    Is the Ohio bar one y'all would recommend for performing basic movements. Not wanting to spend more than 300.
    If money was no object I would look at Duffinís stuff, but since it is I would consider a Texas Powerbar - itís the competition standard and a really quality piece of equipment. Elitefts has sales throughout the year on them at different points.

I only have experience with the Ohio deadlift bar, which did not have the longevity that a Texas Deadlift bar has.
    [email protected]

7. Quote Originally Posted by BarryScott View Post
    Is it just me that thinks Rogue is hugely overpriced and overrated?
    Overpriced, yes on a lot of their stuff. Overrated, no they make great products, but there are usually alternatives for average lifters.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Overpriced, yes on a lot of their stuff. Overrated, no they make great products, but there are usually alternatives for average lifters.
    This is well-said, 100% agree
    [email protected]
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. barbells or dumbbells
    By benjiman in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  2. Strength Training: Barbell or Dumbbell?
    By The Anarchist in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 01:59 AM
  3. MRS AGELESS new hot or not pics
    By AGELESS in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 08:02 PM
  4. new cycle or not ,almost 8wks ?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 04:33 PM