Throbbing head ache during training

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, there was always a monthly flu and now I have a terrible headache while lifting.
Was going heavy on Squats and Leg Press and then it felt like something just ran through my head. It’s been 2 days since my last workout. Went today and started lifting light, still I have the headaches. It seems to me like one of my nerve just dilated and pressure is just shooting up.

Anybody experience this? What did you do to overcome the pain?

I tried to hydrate and warm up a lot. But still the pain persists. Standing at the docs clinic as I write this.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
have you checked your BP?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What’s the word? What did the docs say? My first thought was bp as well

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What’s the word? What did the docs say? My first thought was bp as well
What I suspected. Excessive Vein dilation from strenuous exercise. Gave me some meds for migraine and asked to take 2 weeks off from gym. 2 weeks is too long.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would take the 2 weeks. It seems like a long time, but better safe than sorry since the extreme (hemorrhage) would make you wish that you just took the 2 weeks. I would go back to the basics on your heavy lifts, so check your breathing, posture, head position, etc. Some people though are just prone due to genetics and even see things like bloody noses during lifts as "hardcore" when it could be life-ending.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would take the 2 weeks. It seems like a long time, but better safe than sorry since the extreme (hemorrhage) would make you wish that you just took the 2 weeks. I would go back to the basics on your heavy lifts, so check your breathing, posture, head position, etc. Some people though are just prone due to genetics and even see things like bloody noses during lifts as "hardcore" when it could be life-ending.
X2 - Even if you have to take 2 MONTHS off, I would. If you have a hemorrhage in your brain, the chance of death is high and if you survive your lifting days may still be over. Not trying to scare you or be overly dramatic...but taking a break and eating back in slowly is the only intelligent course of action, IMO.

It will be hard when you return not to push. Be disciplined and approach it with the intelligence you display on so many areas.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The problem was my head position. I moved my head a bit forward in the last couple reps of leg press. It felt like a lightning ran through my head. Lol

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
X2 - Even if you have to take 2 MONTHS off, I would. If you have a hemorrhage in your brain, the chance of death is high and if you survive your lifting days may still be over. Not trying to scare you or be overly dramatic...but taking a break and eating back in slowly is the only intelligent course of action, IMO.

It will be hard when you return not to push. Be disciplined and approach it with the intelligence you display on so many areas.
I will definitely take the 2 weeks. The follow up visit is next week. Will report back to give an update.

The only sad part in all this is, after 2 months of hard work, I was getting ready to break my PRs on the BIG 3 next week. Anyway, it’s a sign to slow down and assess what I did wrong.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I will definitely take the 2 weeks. The follow up visit is next week. Will report back to give an update.

The only sad part in all this is, after 2 months of hard work, I was getting ready to break my PRs on the BIG 3 next week. Anyway, it’s a sign to slow down and assess what I did wrong.
Yeah, that does stink...but I will give you some time to rest and adapt...you may come back stronger and have some wonderful at your back if you ease in.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, that does stink...but I will give you some time to rest and adapt...you may come back stronger and have some wonderful at your back if you ease in.
You’re right.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lol - just read what I wrote. Stupid autocorrect. "Wind at your back" not wonderful. Haha.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What I suspected. Excessive Vein dilation from strenuous exercise. Gave me some meds for migraine and asked to take 2 weeks off from gym. 2 weeks is too long.
Dam, well I guess that’s not too bad. I’m on week two away from the gym and it does kinda suck.... hopefully that time off and the meds will solve your issue though

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dam, well I guess that’s not too bad. I’m on week two away from the gym and it does kinda suck.... hopefully that time off and the meds will solve your issue though
I truly hope so.