Recommendations for a good Powerlifting shoes (main use Squats)

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can a few people using powerlifting shoes give some suggestions. I am thinking about getting on a 13 Week Powerlifting program. Wanted to get as much edge as I can to improve my numbers.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes that is what I wear.
Nike Metcons are nice for squats to
Go old school you can grab some chuck taylors too.. Super cheap
A lot of the reviewers have Adi as their choice.. Romaleo 2 is the older version. They have a 3 now, correct?

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A lot of the reviewers have Adi as their choice.. Romaleo 2 is the older version. They have a 3 now, correct?
Yessir, I’ve personally had both the 2s/3s. IMHO the 2’s are just more solid and more of a traditional squat shoe then the 3s.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends on what you prefer.

I currently have the Romaleo 3s. They are more “lightweight”.

For powerlifting since you don’t move the feet (like in weightlifting) I’d recommend something sturdier.

The Adidas Adipowers I had previously were awesome. Reebok Legacy will be the heaviest and probably the most sturdy. Or Romaleo 2s, but they will be harder to find.

If ankle mobility is really limiting (I’d recommend working on it rather than hiding it but anyways...) the Adidas Leistung have a higher heel than the others listed.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Depends on what you prefer.

I currently have the Romaleo 3s. They are more “lightweight”.

For powerlifting since you don’t move the feet (like in weightlifting) I’d recommend something sturdier.

The Adidas Adipowers I had previously were awesome. Reebok Legacy will be the heaviest and probably the most sturdy. Or Romaleo 2s, but they will be harder to find.

If ankle mobility is really limiting (I’d recommend working on it rather than hiding it but anyways...) the Adidas Leistung have a higher heel than the others listed.
I had adipowers until some c0ckwomble nicked them....I loved them but I got a pair of leistung to replace them and never looked back - the heel is higher than most but the drop isn’t actually that much greater and the added stability from the really good little twisty wheel thing (technical term) is very good.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes that is what I wear.
Nike Metcons are nice for squats to
Go old school you can grab some chuck taylors too.. Super cheap

I use the Otomix Stingray and Ryderwear D-Mak. Wanted to see if a proper squat shoes will help a bit more.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had adipowers until some c0ckwomble nicked them....I loved them but I got a pair of leistung to replace them and never looked back - the heel is higher than most but the drop isn’t actually that much greater and the added stability from the really good little twisty wheel thing (technical term) is very good.
Did you wish he drown with the shoes in his a$$hole? lol.. I feel your pain. Leistung is a tad heavier than the rest, no?

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Romaleos 2 over 3s, not even close...Legacy Lifters if I had to choose a different shoe.

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
Adidas Adipower
Rogue Do-Win

I don't know that using a weightlifting shoe is going to give you an edge and improve your numbers. The slightly elevated heel I suppose is useful for hamstring flexibility, and the nice stiff flat wide-ish sole is good for sticking to the ground. Nobody should be doing heavy squats/deads in squishy soled tennis shoes or anything anyway, so it's a matter of elevated heel vs more flat heal with a lot of choices in both categories, to include good old fashion wrestling shoes for the flat category (good for deads)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can a few people using powerlifting shoes give some suggestions. I am thinking about getting on a 13 Week Powerlifting program. Wanted to get as much edge as I can to improve my numbers.
I like the Romaleo 2's. Mine have lasted forever, I only use them for squats. I like them over the newer version, which I have not tried, but I do not like the single strap. I like the double strap on the 2's because I feel like I get more stability.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like the Romaleo 2's. Mine have lasted forever, I only use them for squats. I like them over the newer version, which I have not tried, but I do not like the single strap. I like the double strap on the 2's because I feel like I get more stability.
But the 2s are not available. Looked into Reebok Legacy Lifter, SABO and Adi Power. SABO looks solid for the price

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I also have the 2's. Had them for a few years and they perform since the first day. I just checked and there's a dozen places where u can get them still.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
Eastbay has them for $99 right now. Deal of a lifetime

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But the 2s are not available. Looked into Reebok Legacy Lifter, SABO and Adi Power. SABO looks solid for the price
They’re a double strap and the metatarsal strap is SOLID. My shoes have been durable considering the years I’ve used them. Ive been squatting at minimum 3x a week for the last three years (I’ve had them for four years but had to rest my lumbar for a year due to disc bulges)

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Did you wish he drown with the shoes in his a$$hole? lol.. I feel your pain. Leistung is a tad heavier than the rest, no?
I ever find the twat he’ll wish he’d drowned....

They do feel a touch heavier but I stopped noticing after a week. They feel solid af which is nice when sh1t gets heavy

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SABO is great for deadlifting, I have a pair, but I probably wouldn't use them for squatting unless you want something that mimics squatting bare foot.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
SABO is great for deadlifting, I have a pair, but I probably wouldn't use them for squatting unless you want something that mimics squatting bare foot.
Really? It’s got a 0.75” high heel.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really? It’s got a 0.75” high heel.
I think he’s talking about their deadlift shoe and not their powerlifting shoe.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I like a flat, thin, hard sole for everything, and a sturdy construction. Sabo Goodlift is the best I can find. Though if you really want specifically squatting shoes, and you really want a heel, then obviously those won't work. They're flat.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like a flat, thin, hard sole for everything, and a sturdy construction. Sabo Goodlift is the best I can find. Though if you really want specifically squatting shoes, and you really want a heel, then obviously those won't work. They're flat.
Made my purchase. I was using Otomix Stingray for all my lifts. Got a Powerlifting shoe for squats.