How long?

WildRob

Awards
First off admins move this if I am posting in the wrong spot please, I am new here haha. Just curious about how long should one be working out before they start seeing results. I know there are many factors that contribute to this. So any help as to the big ones.. like diets, workout routines.. or long term planing are helpful.

I guess what I’m getting at is how long should you do a routine before you start seeing noticeable changes?

Also any advice for someone just starting out with building. I am not trying to get lean, not yet. Just trying to bulk up. So my workouts consist of three separate days. Chest, legs, arms.

On Chest day i do bench, incline bench, decline bench, lat pull down, and setting rows

On leg day I do squats, leg curls, and leg extensions.

On arm day I do overhead press, front raises, side raises, curls, hammer curls, and tricep pull downs

I am open to any suggestions on things I could add. I don’t do any deadlifts because I just can’t get the form right. When I try it it makes my upper back hurt.. like by your shoulder. I have read that could be caused by weak support muscles..

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First off admins move this if I am posting in the wrong spot please, I am new here haha. Just curious about how long should one be working out before they start seeing results. I know there are many factors that contribute to this. So any help as to the big ones.. like diets, workout routines.. or long term planing are helpful.

I guess what I’m getting at is how long should you do a routine before you start seeing noticeable changes?

Also any advice for someone just starting out with building. I am not trying to get lean, not yet. Just trying to bulk up. So my workouts consist of three separate days. Chest, legs, arms.

On Chest day i do bench, incline bench, decline bench, lat pull down, and setting rows

On leg day I do squats, leg curls, and leg extensions.

On arm day I do overhead press, front raises, side raises, curls, hammer curls, and tricep pull downs

I am open to any suggestions on things I could add. I don’t do any deadlifts because I just can’t get the form right. When I try it it makes my upper back hurt.. like by your shoulder. I have read that could be caused by weak support muscles..
There is nothing wrong with your split for a beginner. What's important is that you are achieving progressive resistance and eating the right macros and calories to grow. Muscle takes a long time to build and even if you were gaining a pound of weight per week that likely wouldn't all be muscle so bare that in mind. Do what your doing for 4 weeks and if your not lifting heavier weights by then then something is up.

If you are lifting heavier but not gaining weight then increase calories. Ensure your protein is relatively high and adjust fats and carbs depending on what works for you.

To answer your question if you put 10lbs of muscle on in a year your doing well. Have patience. If you don't have that then there is no point in trying. You will end up being one of those people that doesn't see results in a couple of weeks so feels they need to jump on a cycle of some sort then when that doesn't transform their body in two weeks they will assume it's bunk and try something else. Whilst eating a substandard diet and doing half assed training.

WildRob

Awards
There is nothing wrong with your split for a beginner. What's important is that you are achieving progressive resistance and eating the right macros and calories to grow. Muscle takes a long time to build and even if you were gaining a pound of weight per week that likely wouldn't all be muscle so bare that in mind. Do what your doing for 4 weeks and if your not lifting heavier weights by then then something is up.

If you are lifting heavier but not gaining weight then increase calories. Ensure your protein is relatively high and adjust fats and carbs depending on what works for you.

To answer your question if you put 10lbs of muscle on in a year your doing well. Have patience. If you don't have that then there is no point in trying. You will end up being one of those people that doesn't see results in a couple of weeks so feels they need to jump on a cycle of some sort then when that doesn't transform their body in two weeks they will assume it's bunk and try something else. Whilst eating a substandard diet and doing half assed training.
I am definitely making gains. I have doubled my bench.. which isn’t saying much lol but I’m on my 3rd week. I want to be able to bench my body weight by the end of this year. That’s my goal.. but anywhere close to that and I will be happy haha.

I have learned it’s a slower process than what it seems to be from watching people. But I am making gains, and I try to eat a good split of protein to carbs. I get healthy fats.. my diet could use more Greens but idk about that one happening haha.

What ratio of protein to carbs would you recommend? I thought 1 gram of protein to 2 grams of carbs was good. Maybe I’m wrong?

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am definitely making gains. I have doubled my bench.. which isn’t saying much lol but I’m on my 3rd week. I want to be able to bench my body weight by the end of this year. That’s my goal.. but anywhere close to that and I will be happy haha.

I have learned it’s a slower process than what it seems to be from watching people. But I am making gains, and I try to eat a good split of protein to carbs. I get healthy fats.. my diet could use more Greens but idk about that one happening haha.

What ratio of protein to carbs would you recommend? I thought 1 gram of protein to 2 grams of carbs was good. Maybe I’m wrong?
People usually base their protein on their bodyweight. You will hear everything from 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight up to 2 grams per pound. 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight seems to be the most popular however if you weight 150lbs I would aim above that by maybe 50 grams if you are trying to bulk. Calculate the calories and then fill in what you need with fats and carbs. Fats can be beneficial for strength so don't neglect them. Go for one or two higher fat meals through the day then lower the fat and up the carbs for your preworkout meal. Just don't go high fat hi carbs every meal unless your an extreme hard gainer in which case just eat everything you see.

WildRob

Awards
People usually base their protein on their bodyweight. You will hear everything from 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight up to 2 grams per pound. 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight seems to be the most popular however if you weight 150lbs I would aim above that by maybe 50 grams if you are trying to bulk. Calculate the calories and then fill in what you need with fats and carbs. Fats can be beneficial for strength so don't neglect them. Go for one or two higher fat meals through the day then lower the fat and up the carbs for your preworkout meal. Just don't go high fat hi carbs every meal unless your an extreme hard gainer in which case just eat everything you see.
I am 185, so maybe I will aim for 200-210 grams of protein. I used to eat a lot of red meat but my sister who has been in fitness for some time now suggested I cut down and eat more fish and chicken. So I am trying that. I didn’t think about the fats tho, do you see any problem with this? Is red meat really that bad lol. I am not a hard gainer.. not yet at least, and I don’t see myself doing that anytime soon. I just want to have a better/stronger body. So I will still watch my carb intake.

I plan on bulking until January, and the cutting from January until summer. Goal being by next summer looking and feeling better than I did this summer. Shouldn’t be too hard seeing as I’m the “skinny fat” body type right now.. years of video games and Doritos caused this lol my job is quite physical so I have had that going for me. Keeping me from being 250lbs at 6 foot haha. thanks for the advice, you see a lot of information on the internet and it can become overwhelming lol. What you are saying makes sense tho so I appreciate it

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am 185, so maybe I will aim for 200-210 grams of protein. I used to eat a lot of red meat but my sister who has been in fitness for some time now suggested I cut down and eat more fish and chicken. So I am trying that. I didn’t think about the fats tho, do you see any problem with this? Is red meat really that bad lol. I am not a hard gainer.. not yet at least, and I don’t see myself doing that anytime soon. I just want to have a better/stronger body. So I will still watch my carb intake.

I plan on bulking until January, and the cutting from January until summer. Goal being by next summer looking and feeling better than I did this summer. Shouldn’t be too hard seeing as I’m the “skinny fat” body type right now.. years of video games and Doritos caused this lol my job is quite physical so I have had that going for me. Keeping me from being 250lbs at 6 foot haha. thanks for the advice, you see a lot of information on the internet and it can become overwhelming lol. What you are saying makes sense tho so I appreciate it
So what would you say your bodyfat percentage was?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
150g of protein is not a lot, I'd definitely be shooting for 200g

WildRob

Awards
So what would you say your bodyfat percentage was?
I have a “smart” scale that says it’s 20% and I’m sure I’m somewhere in that ballpark lol. I got a belly on me. I used to have a 32 waist back in high school.. now I’m like 35.

WildRob

Awards
150g of protein is not a lot, I'd definitely be shooting for 200g
I always have worried about excessive protein intake because it’s hard on your kidneys. Or so I have heard and read. I guess just drink a lot of water right? Haha

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I always have worried about excessive protein intake because it’s hard on your kidneys. Or so I have heard and read. I guess just drink a lot of water right? Haha
I wouldn't worry about your kidneys. With a 35 inch waist I probably wouldn't bulk either. Try and recomp by maintaining 185lbs bodyweight. Keep calories the same and keep increasing lifts. As muscle size increases your fat should slowly come down and you stay at the same weight. If your calories are the same you should start actually losing weight so when that happens increase calories slowly. If you bulk now you run the risk of increasing your waist size even further then when you cut you will probably just reverse what you did and be back where you started.

Another plan could be to cut first then work on a lean bulk for summer. Lose about twenty pounds over the next 3 months or so then slowly increase protein to up your weight by max of a pound per week and you will notice a huge difference. I guarantee if you weighed 170 pounds right now with a lean six pack you would look bigger than you do at 185lbs with a 35 inch waist.

WildRob

Awards
I wouldn't worry about your kidneys. With a 35 inch waist I probably wouldn't bulk either. Try and recomp by maintaining 185lbs bodyweight. Keep calories the same and keep increasing lifts. As muscle size increases your fat should slowly come down and you stay at the same weight. If your calories are the same you should start actually losing weight so when that happens increase calories slowly. If you bulk now you run the risk of increasing your waist size even further then when you cut you will probably just reverse what you did and be back where you started.

Another plan could be to cut first then work on a lean bulk for summer. Lose about twenty pounds over the next 3 months or so then slowly increase protein to up your weight by max of a pound per week and you will notice a huge difference. I guarantee if you weighed 170 pounds right now with a lean six pack you would look bigger than you do at 185lbs with a 35 inch waist.
In a way that’s what I’m doing. I’m not intentionally increasing my calories, I’m just not cutting calories. I’m making sure I get plenty of protein, like 180 or more. I guess the biggest thing is I am letting myself have some carbs because it helps my workouts. I did a low carb diet a few months back and I did lose weight.. but I was doing poor at lifting. I kinda am banking on what you said about building muscle and in turn loosing some fat.

Now I know when you diet hard and cut the fat down you lose some muscle, but if you keep your protein up and continue to lift won’t that help reduce this?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s totally false bro, unless you have an underlying kidney problem then high protein intake will cause you no issue.

200g would be a solid target to aim for. I like a variety of fish (white and oily), lean white meat, darker white meat (chicken thighs etc) and red meat. They all contain protein but they have different micro nutrients.

Eggs, dairy, yoghurt, nuts, seeds along with vegs and fruits are all great.

Honestly I think there’s loads of issues with your training program at the moment. Not sure how many days you are training but no one in the first year or so needs an arm day. You need to be hitting the big compounds more. I’d personally look at push/pull/legs if I were you.

Also, get a coach/pt, get them to teach you solid form on the big lifts and progress from there. Well worth investing now and getting a good base to work from.......

Good luck man

WildRob

Awards
That’s totally false bro, unless you have an underlying kidney problem then high protein intake will cause you no issue.

200g would be a solid target to aim for. I like a variety of fish (white and oily), lean white meat, darker white meat (chicken thighs etc) and red meat. They all contain protein but they have different micro nutrients.

Eggs, dairy, yoghurt, nuts, seeds along with vegs and fruits are all great.

Honestly I think there’s loads of issues with your training program at the moment. Not sure how many days you are training but no one in the first year or so needs an arm day. You need to be hitting the big compounds more. I’d personally look at push/pull/legs if I were you.

Also, get a coach/pt, get them to teach you solid form on the big lifts and progress from there. Well worth investing now and getting a good base to work from.......

Good luck man
Thanks, I was thinking about the coaching already. I really would like to deadlift, but not kill my back or mess something up in the process lol. Yea I am going off a recommended beginner workout from a fellow co-worker who is pretty fit. So he is no trainer, but has gotten himself in a good spot. I train 3 days btw, so chest, then legs, then arms. But I can change things around. I am seeing gains. However there can always be room for improvement

From what I read your right about the protein/kidney as well, unless you have kidney issues eating a lot of protein is fine. It just kinda concerned me.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The best routine is the one you can stick to. Use it for at bare minimum 3 months to see if it's working and stick with it for az long as it keeps working.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Nonsense, you need rediculous amounts of protein to mess with your kidneys

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
If you aim for 200g of protein you can pretty much guarantee that you'll hit most of your nutrition requirements, especially if you get those 200g from red meat

You can eat say, 800g of ground beef 15% fat

Protein is 208g
Calories are 2000

Really then after that you're adding as much starches or rice as you want or need. If you want to shed fat then remove the carbs and eat only the meat for a few weeks. If you're trying to gain weight then if you don't gain 0.5kg or 1lb after a week then increase the grams of rice by 20%. If you don't gain after that then increase it by another 20% and so on

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I have a “smart” scale that says it’s 20% and I’m sure I’m somewhere in that ballpark lol. I got a belly on me. I used to have a 32 waist back in high school.. now I’m like 35.
Smart scales are not even close

WildRob

Awards
Smart scales are not even close
That’s what I figured, is there any “at home” way to at least get your percentage estimate? At this point the only use for my “smart” scale is to save it on my phone haha

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s what I figured, is there any “at home” way to at least get your percentage estimate? At this point the only use for my “smart” scale is to save it on my phone haha
You’d get a better estimate by posting a pic and asking the AM forum members to guess by eye balling. Take the average of that......

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You should get the pump effect from day one. As that effect increases with time your gains will increase and come as well. Chase the pump. Live for the pump.