Full Body Routines

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
In my experience the best full body routines do not train the full body every time but an upper body exercise + a lower body exercise and covering all the plains throughout the week. For example:

Day 1:
Behind the neck push press
Jump squats

Day 2:
Curl and Press
High Pulls

Day 3:
Strict Press
Deadlifts

Day 4:
Bench Press
Zercher lifts

Day 5:
Weighted Pullups
Squats

Day 6:
Weighted dips
Paused squats

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
In my experience the best full body routines do not train the full body every time but an upper body exercise + a lower body exercise and covering all the plains throughout the week. For example:

Day 1:
Behind the neck push press
Jump squats

Day 2:
Curl and Press
High Pulls

Day 3:
Strict Press
Deadlifts

Day 4:
Bench Press
Zercher lifts

Day 5:
Weighted Pullups
Squats

Day 6:
Weighted dips
Paused squats
yea that's cool. I should of mention that one of the main reasons im looking at a full body is because ive been missing workout days. That work out does look good. I do like that strategy of doing a upper body exercise + a lower body exercise in saving time when life gets busy. Definitely be using this.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I just made this routine - Full body - version 1.0

LEGS - SQUATS - 2 X 10
CALF - RAISES - 2 X 10
(super set)

CHEST - BENCH PRESS - 3 X 10
BICEPS - PREACHER CURLS - 3 X 10
(superset)

SHOULDERS - MILITARY PRESS - 2 X 10
BACK - DEADLIFTS - 2 X 10
(superset)

BACK - BARBELL ROWS - 2 X 10
TRICEPS - PULL DOWNS - 1 X 10
(superset)

SHOULDERS - BENT OVER RAISE - 1 X 10
BICEPS - HAMMER CURL - 1 X 10
(superset)

ABS CRUNCHES - 1 X 200

So EOD, 3x week or as much as possible - if time permits.

I should be able to plow threw this workout, my concern is does it look balance as possible for a full body routine? Should I add, take away anything?

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of full body workouts completed every 72 hours, I do mine push, pull, legs, and then switch over to shoulders, bis, tris, traps, forearms, and calves, all super-sets for the most part as long as there is no crossover of secondary muscles. 9 sets for every body part per workout except for legs which get 12 since they recover better than any of my other body parts.

I do 125 carbs, 50 protein, and 18 fat, 90 minutes before the workout so that my stomach is empty by the time I get to the gym. I do an intro workout carb intake of 50 grams with EAAs added in, in order for my bodies insulin spikes to prevent muscle protein break down during the long workout. The workout usually takes 2.5 hours give or take, but some days I push the intensity a bit to much and finish in under 2 hours so usually next workout I have to ease up a bit and take extra recovery time between sets so that I don't build up a recovery deficit which happens to me when I push things a bit to much and don't recover fully before the next workout. For me the first few working set will tell me if I need to ease up or not, if they feel heavier then they did last workout, I drop the weight down a peg for the next two sets of the exercise. (Almost like mini in built de-loads). For progression, I like to add an extra rep every time I'm still feeling good at the current last rep of the set, works great since I'm only pushing forward when my body is feeling ready for it. After workout nutrition is 70 grams of protein and around 150 carbs in the two hour window post workout split between twp fast digesting meals.

I am going to try a 4 day split for a bit quite soon, but I really love this style of doing things and will switch right back to it in unless another way of training I try blows the results out of the water.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Full Body 3 days a week.

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
Bicep Curl 5x8
Seated Chest Press 5x8
Mid Rows 5x8
Low Rows 5x8
Decline Bench 5x8
Incline Bench 5x8
Deadlift 5x8
Tricep Pushdown 5x8
Ab Crunches 5x20

Those are my base sets. I can knock that out in about an hour and 30 mins. Then I add various xtra work in like:

Bicep Dropsets at 4x100, 6x90, 8x80, 10x70, Additional deadlift sets, lower rep heavy decline bench sets, heavy lat pull down sets. I vary my xtra work every set.

My routine might be extreme, but I've gotten results. The key is to find what works best for you.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
Bicep Curl 5x8
Seated Chest Press 5x8
Mid Rows 5x8
Low Rows 5x8
Decline Bench 5x8
Incline Bench 5x8
Deadlift 5x8
Tricep Pushdown 5x8
Ab Crunches 5x20

Those are my base sets. I can knock that out in about an hour and 30 mins. Then I add various xtra work in like:

Bicep Dropsets at 4x100, 6x90, 8x80, 10x70, Additional deadlift sets, lower rep heavy decline bench sets, heavy lat pull down sets. I vary my xtra work every set.

My routine might be extreme, but I've gotten results. The key is to find what works best for you.
To be honest although this might work for you it isn’t really a full body routine that’ll work for most people.

Obviously omissions are anything more than deadlifts for legs (now I’m a huge fan of dead’s for both backs and legs but your missing wheel growth if that’s your only leg exercise) and nothing over head.....yeah sure the shoulders get worked on bench etc (although if you bench with decent form it should limit the shoulder impact somewhat and incline will only hit front delts properly).

I also think for most people having deads so late in the routine (esp after all the precious rows etc) will limit the weight pulled and therefore limit the effectiveness of the biggest compound in there.

Like I say if it works for you and you get results that’s cool and I’m not saying you should change, just highlighting to the OP that this is very unlikely to provide optimal benefits for him imo.....

Something like madcow 5x5 and much much better option for 3 a week full body.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I did full body 3×week 1, maybe 2 exercises per body part. 1×10, 3x6 on each exercise. It was the best results I ever made naturally. Progressed for about 6 months before it went stale. I was also a newbie at that time and 17 So that probably played a role. Check out 20rep squat routine

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
this is prolly easier for the eyes.

That's just going to kick your ass and not in a good way. By the time you get to military press, you're likely not going to be able to continue this workout with any meaningful weight

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
Bicep Curl 5x8
Seated Chest Press 5x8
Mid Rows 5x8
Low Rows 5x8
Decline Bench 5x8
Incline Bench 5x8
Deadlift 5x8
Tricep Pushdown 5x8
Ab Crunches 5x20

Nice program- yea i would do this. Just trying to make a program to get my self out of the gym fast when im busy

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
You got more bicep work then leg work?
Your right what do you suggest?

I did add leg curls earlier only because a coworker looked at my program said i wasnt doing enough.

So looks like this now.

So 3 sets legs, 2 sets calves, or should i just ditch the hammer curls and do forearms, what do you suggest?

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
That's just going to kick your ass and not in a good way. By the time you get to military press, you're likely not going to be able to continue this workout with any meaningful weight

This is my regular routine.
Tues - A
Thursday - B
Sunday - C

One point in my life it was

M/T/W - A/B/C
then
T/F/S - A/B/C

Honestly right now im on party mode. So basically a routine that I can cycle in to let me be human and screw around when I want to. I just want to have fun right now. Then ill cycle my reg routine when I want to kick some a$$.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of full body workouts completed every 72 hours, I do mine push, pull, legs, and then switch over to shoulders, bis, tris, traps, forearms, and calves, all super-sets for the most part as long as there is no crossover of secondary muscles. 9 sets for every body part per workout except for legs which get 12 since they recover better than any of my other body parts.

I do 125 carbs, 50 protein, and 18 fat, 90 minutes before the workout so that my stomach is empty by the time I get to the gym. I do an intro workout carb intake of 50 grams with EAAs added in, in order for my bodies insulin spikes to prevent muscle protein break down during the long workout. The workout usually takes 2.5 hours give or take, but some days I push the intensity a bit to much and finish in under 2 hours so usually next workout I have to ease up a bit and take extra recovery time between sets so that I don't build up a recovery deficit which happens to me when I push things a bit to much and don't recover fully before the next workout. For me the first few working set will tell me if I need to ease up or not, if they feel heavier then they did last workout, I drop the weight down a peg for the next two sets of the exercise. (Almost like mini in built de-loads). For progression, I like to add an extra rep every time I'm still feeling good at the current last rep of the set, works great since I'm only pushing forward when my body is feeling ready for it. After workout nutrition is 70 grams of protein and around 150 carbs in the two hour window post workout split between twp fast digesting meals.

I am going to try a 4 day split for a bit quite soon, but I really love this style of doing things and will switch right back to it in unless another way of training I try blows the results out of the water.
wow thanks man. Lots of good info. I never knew about recovery deficit. Alot of the content you mentioned i need to incorporate into my nutrition and routine. Its almost like your pyschic lol!

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
wow thanks man. Lots of good info. I never knew about recovery deficit. Alot of the content you mentioned i need to incorporate into my nutrition and routine. Its almost like your pyschic lol!
Recovery defeict is a term I made up to describe a scenario when one moves more hastinly between sets relative to their standardised pace. For example say you normally rest 120 seconds between sets and have done so for the past couple workouts.

Now lets say that one day you are in a rush and you (decided to/accidently due to the time pressure) reduced
your rest between sets to 90 seconds instead. Say during the compressed workout you lifted the same weight and reps as you did on your last workout. Great? Well, that depends on how much the nominal reps were actually more difficult due to the greater muscle fatigue from the shorter rest periods between sets. For me this sudden jump of workout intensity is more than my body will be able to recover from before the next training session, but I wouldn't know that until I get in the gym and feel a little off. So after awhile I got in the habit of tracking things such as (reduced rest periods between sets, reduced sleep quality and/or quantity, sub par nutrition, poor self control from to much stim use (workout was to intense to recover from in 72 hours) etc. And then taking note when some of those recovery impairing factors were present. And I'd give a point for each present factor(a mental one in ny head)and reduce the volume and or weight of my sets that day so that my lifts don't stall on the subsequent workout from a lack of proper recovery from the first of the 2 workouts. Sorry if it sounds confusing, I have a funny way of remembering things and before long I adapt my own terminology to describe basic concepts that learned else-where from places I can't remember.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Recovery defeict is a term I made up to describe a scenario when one moves more hastinly between sets relative to their standardised pace. For example say you normally rest 120 seconds between sets and have done so for the past couple workouts.

Now lets say that one day you are in a rush and you (decided to/accidently due to the time pressure) reduced
your rest between sets to 90 seconds instead. Say during the compressed workout you lifted the same weight and reps as you did on your last workout. Great? Well, that depends on how much the nominal reps were actually more difficult due to the greater muscle fatigue from the shorter rest periods between sets. For me this sudden jump of workout intensity is more than my body will be able to recover from before the next training session, but I wouldn't know that until I get in the gym and feel a little off. So after awhile I got in the habit of tracking things such as (reduced rest periods between sets, reduced sleep quality and/or quantity, sub par nutrition, poor self control from to much stim use (workout was to intense to recover from in 72 hours) etc. And then taking note when some of those recovery impairing factors were present. And I'd give a point for each present factor(a mental one in ny head)and reduce the volume and or weight of my sets that day so that my lifts don't stall on the subsequent workout from a lack of proper recovery from the first of the 2 workouts. Sorry if it sounds confusing, I have a funny way of remembering things and before long I adapt my own terminology to describe basic concepts that learned else-where from places I can't remember.
LOL I get it! Makes sense:) I do the same s***. Ive been rushing pushing with my reg routine all year. Im a little turned off, so im changing it up so I don't slip into a party frenzie. Im pretty sure im in a big time recovery deficit. Usually by summer I slip hard but I didn't this year. That was hard because the weather this summer was awesome.

Im pretty sure my full body routine is not as intense as yours, but im happy at this pace this cycle is going for now. Ill prolly do it for maybe 8-12 weeks then do something more challenging.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
My Full Body V1.2

Anything I should add/takeaway/change so its balanced?

Would it still be balanced if I ditch 1 set of bench press and 1 set of Preacher curls?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can use different rep range in different days and/or different exercises. And too many sets for biceps compared to other body parts.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My Full Body V1.2

Anything I should add/takeaway/change so its balanced?

Would it still be balanced if I ditch 1 set of bench press and 1 set of Preacher curls?
Unless you have long arms I personally don’t think you need curls in there at all. Normal limbed lifters will get enough bicep stimulation from rows, chins, pull ups etc. You can also throw in a few sets for the pump if you have time but I wouldn’t plan them into the routine (same with calf raises btw - pointless in the context of this type of training)

Just my opinion but you are massively over complicating this.

What are your goals? Size? Strength? Solid combination of both? Improved aesthetics?

For any of those I think you’d be better just focusing on hitting 3-5 sets with 5-8 reps (less for pure strength) of the big compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, pull ups/chins, dips - in that order of importance), hitting 3 of them properly on each session, just focus on progressively overloading the weight in those lifts and throw in 2-3 sets of accessory work with higher reps for areas you feel are weak or need focus at the end.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have long arms I personally don’t think you need curls in there at all. Normal limbed lifters will get enough bicep stimulation from rows, chins, pull ups etc. You can also throw in a few sets for the pump if you have time but I wouldn’t plan them into the routine (same with calf raises btw - pointless in the context of this type of training)

Just my opinion but you are massively over complicating this.

What are your goals? Size? Strength? Solid combination of both? Improved aesthetics?

For any of those I think you’d be better just focusing on hitting 3-5 sets with 5-8 reps (less for pure strength) of the big compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, pull ups/chins, dips - in that order of importance), hitting 3 of them properly on each session, just focus on progressively overloading the weight in those lifts and throw in 2-3 sets of accessory work with higher reps for areas you feel are weak or need focus at the end.
Muscle Hypertrophy

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Muscle Hypertrophy
If pure bodybuilding style hyperthropy is your goal and you’re natty then 3 day a week training isn’t optimal imo anyway

But

The heavy compounds will lead to greater increase of natural test and therefore lead to greater muscle growth so I stick by my previous post. I would aim for 8 reps rather than 5 though.....

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
If pure bodybuilding style hyperthropy is your goal and you’re natty then 3 day a week training isn’t optimal imo anyway

But

The heavy compounds will lead to greater increase of natural test and therefore lead to greater muscle growth so I stick by my previous post. I would aim for 8 reps rather than 5 though.....
Actually im looking at all the 3 - Prioritize in this sequence- Muscle Hypertrophy, Anesthetics, Strength. Ok im just looking at my routine. I still like the isolations for the Anesthetics prolly should do 4 days a week at min and 10 reps to maintain endurance. I just want a routine to cycle down and have more time for life

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your right what do you suggest?

I did add leg curls earlier only because a coworker looked at my program said i wasnt doing enough.

So looks like this now.

So 3 sets legs, 2 sets calves, or should i just ditch the hammer curls and do forearms, what do you suggest?
You could just add more sets of squats. I used to do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of stiff leg deadlifts 3x week and made a lot of progress for about 6 months straight.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
You could just add more sets of squats. I used to do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of stiff leg deadlifts 3x week and made a lot of progress for about 6 months straight.
Lol ok fine. I knew that was coming.

I also thought of this - I can plow right threw and be out of there fast!

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
LOL I get it! Makes sense:) I do the same s***. Ive been rushing pushing with my reg routine all year. Im a little turned off, so im changing it up so I don't slip into a party frenzie. Im pretty sure im in a big time recovery deficit. Usually by summer I slip hard but I didn't this year. That was hard because the weather this summer was awesome.

Im pretty sure my full body routine is not as intense as yours, but im happy at this pace this cycle is going for now. Ill prolly do it for maybe 8-12 weeks then do something more challenging.
How do you measure your own recovery? For me it's always been a bit of a guessing game with a lot of trial and error hence the whole "recovery deficit" coming about lol . If you do think you are in a recovery deficit, do you notice that your progression has stalled or slowed down? If a deficit gets severe enough you can eventually even start back sliding on lifts. When I was doing a full body workout every other day, and after about 5 weeks I went from progression every other workout to back sliding for a week straight, I watched the "volume round table debate" I think it had Eric Helms, Jeff Nipperd, and a few other guys and that it when I reduced my volume to closer to 20 sets per week per body-part and went from training to failure on half of my sets (by accident) to always leaving 3-4 reps in the tank changing my focus to steady weekly progression and with an emphasis on adequate recovery. Gains went parabolic!

I think you are already basically managing your recovery in the same way already, you mentioned " but im happy at this pace this cycle is going for now. Ill prolly do it for maybe 8-12 weeks then do something more challenging" just instead of cycling up/down the intensity over a week period you are doing in longer cycles, I think it's the same basic principles at work thou. I vaguely remember it now being called a overreach/deload training cycle by someone on YouTube.

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
yea that's cool. I should of mention that one of the main reasons im looking at a full body is because ive been missing workout days. That work out does look good. I do like that strategy of doing a upper body exercise + a lower body exercise in saving time when life gets busy. Definitely be using this.
I'm 57 and a hard gainer. Also I don't always consume the calories I need. Then there's the big one, lack of time.
I do push/pull and break muscle groups down. In and out of the gym in about 30min a day.
Day 1:Chest, day2:shoulders & triceps, day 3:back & biceps, day4:legs.
By breaking muscle groups down like this I'm not going to overwork and burn muscle. It enables me to have a life because I'm in and out in 30min or less.
Sometimes I'll do 2 days of workout in one if I'm feeling it. I've been doing this for about 2yrs now and love it! I make great gains. During deer season last year I quit lifting in order to get deer out quicker. I didn't take care of myself. Loss weight down to like 169. This workout I do enabled me to climb back to 188-193lbs this summer. Breaking muscle groups down like this I can really hammer the Paticular muscle group I'm on. Gives ample rest between workouts so that muscles are fully healed and ready to be hammered again. If I miss a day I just pick back up where I left off.
Theres days I don't feel like going. Those days I tell myself I'm only going to be there a short time. If I'm not feeling it.... On chest day for example I'd go in and at the least do bench because it's the major exercise. Just make sure you do the main exercises. Chest day/bench, shoulder day/military press, Ect... You get the picture.
Best way to workout hands down if you just trying to be in shape, look & feel good. I've been lifting since 22yrs old and have lifted every program there is out there. Now if your competing this may not be for you.
I'm at 12% body fat year around. I have one of the best body's in our gym. Planet Fitness...
I usually do lower weights with high reps doing a lot of super setting.
I just recently went to lifting heavy on the big 3 Squats, bench, military press, & DEADLIFTS. Everything else I do the high reps, lower weights.
I'd like to lift heavier accross the board but everytime I do I end up with injuries. Guess it's my age.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Not sure that’s adding much to the post bro......bit like saying your the best tennis player having just won a best of 3 in a Spanish holiday resort against a drunk British guy wearing flip flops......hardly comparing yourself to proper lifters lol
Lol, I have a pf membership I use when it's too cold in my basement or it floods from storms. My pf has probably 5 ppl that look like they lift and one of them is on juice year round and is only 200lbs at 6ft and no abs. He's a friend and he's more in love with gear then food or working out

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
How do you measure your own recovery? For me it's always been a bit of a guessing game with a lot of trial and error hence the whole "recovery deficit" coming about lol . If you do think you are in a recovery deficit, do you notice that your progression has stalled or slowed down? If a deficit gets severe enough you can eventually even start back sliding on lifts. When I was doing a full body workout every other day, and after about 5 weeks I went from progression every other workout to back sliding for a week straight, I watched the "volume round table debate" I think it had Eric Helms, Jeff Nipperd, and a few other guys and that it when I reduced my volume to closer to 20 sets per week per body-part and went from training to failure on half of my sets (by accident) to always leaving 3-4 reps in the tank changing my focus to steady weekly progression and with an emphasis on adequate recovery. Gains went parabolic!

I think you are already basically managing your recovery in the same way already, you mentioned " but im happy at this pace this cycle is going for now. Ill prolly do it for maybe 8-12 weeks then do something more challenging" just instead of cycling up/down the intensity over a week period you are doing in longer cycles, I think it's the same basic principles at work thou. I vaguely remember it now being called a overreach/deload training cycle by someone on YouTube.
Yes my experience is very similar. Overreach/deload training yea man. When its time.. its time. If i dont i know ill slip down that water slide. Too many options for trouble lol.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I'm 57 and a hard gainer. Also I don't always consume the calories I need. Then there's the big one, lack of time.
I do push/pull and break muscle groups down. In and out of the gym in about 30min a day.
Day 1:Chest, day2:shoulders & triceps, day 3:back & biceps, day4:legs.
By breaking muscle groups down like this I'm not going to overwork and burn muscle. It enables me to have a life because I'm in and out in 30min or less.
Sometimes I'll do 2 days of workout in one if I'm feeling it. I've been doing this for about 2yrs now and love it! I make great gains. During deer season last year I quit lifting in order to get deer out quicker. I didn't take care of myself. Loss weight down to like 169. This workout I do enabled me to climb back to 188-193lbs this summer. Breaking muscle groups down like this I can really hammer the Paticular muscle group I'm on. Gives ample rest between workouts so that muscles are fully healed and ready to be hammered again. If I miss a day I just pick back up where I left off.
Theres days I don't feel like going. Those days I tell myself I'm only going to be there a short time. If I'm not feeling it.... On chest day for example I'd go in and at the least do bench because it's the major exercise. Just make sure you do the main exercises. Chest day/bench, shoulder day/military press, Ect... You get the picture.
Best way to workout hands down if you just trying to be in shape, look & feel good. I've been lifting since 22yrs old and have lifted every program there is out there. Now if your competing this may not be for you.
I'm at 12% body fat year around. I have one of the best body's in our gym. Planet Fitness...
I usually do lower weights with high reps doing a lot of super setting.
I just recently went to lifting heavy on the big 3 Squats, bench, military press, & DEADLIFTS. Everything else I do the high reps, lower weights.
I'd like to lift heavier accross the board but everytime I do I end up with injuries. Guess it's my age.
Nice man. Im glad you understand my need for time and that you still gain 20 lbs+ in a 30 min workout. I guess when im done this Full body crunch routine. Ill look into a split routine that can crunch my way out of the gym too. Thats awesome.

Btw i also have one of the best body's in our gym too lol ;)

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
So i followed everyones input and I appreciate the help. For the moment ill do this EOD. So ill alternate the routines every other week.

So EOD weeks that have 3 days ill do this.

Then the following week that has 4 w/o days ill do this.
(The second box ill just use as an option)

But im still open for change.

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
Nice man. Im glad you understand my need for time and that you still gain 20 lbs+ in a 30 min workout. I guess when im done this Full body crunch routine. Ill look into a split routine that can crunch my way out of the gym too. Thats awesome.

Btw i also have one of the best body's in our gym too lol ;)
It helps that I've been pretty consistent lifting the last 30yrs. I've sat out a year here and there but the 10yrs I went without missing makes a difference. A week back in the gym I look like I never stepped away. Muscle memory is what they call it. Breaking my muscle groups down like I do likely won't do for somebody competing. I'm not... I'm just trying to have the best body in the gym... Lol.
I really like the way I'm doing it. I'm still making good gains on 250mg/1cc a week of Enthanate. It's not my desire to be huge anyways. My goal is something like 210lbs. Goal used to be 192 which im at now. Funny thing is each time I reach a goal I want to be a little bigger. So I'm guessing it's always going to be like this... Just a little bigger.

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
It helps that I've been pretty consistent lifting the last 30yrs. I've sat out a year here and there but the 10yrs I went without missing makes a difference. A week back in the gym I look like I never stepped away. Muscle memory is what they call it. Breaking my muscle groups down like I do likely won't do for somebody competing. I'm not... I'm just trying to have the best body in the gym... Lol.
I really like the way I'm doing it. I'm still making good gains on 250mg/1cc a week of Enthanate. It's not my desire to be huge anyways. My goal is something like 210lbs. Goal used to be 192 which im at now. Funny thing is each time I reach a goal I want to be a little bigger. So I'm guessing it's always going to be like this... Just a little bigger.
Day 1: Nothing but chest, Day :Shoulders & triceps, Day3:Back & Biceps, Day4 :Legs & DEADLIFTS.
Sometimes I kill it... Other times I don't. I usually always do burnouts my last set.
At 57 I just don't have the stamina to really do much more. If I were to do more muscle groups they wouldn't be quality lifts. This way the muscle groups in working can be hammered without killing me.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Day 1: Nothing but chest, Day :Shoulders & triceps, Day3:Back & Biceps, Day4 :Legs & DEADLIFTS.
Sometimes I kill it... Other times I don't. I usually always do burnouts my last set.
At 57 I just don't have the stamina to really do much more. If I were to do more muscle groups they wouldn't be quality lifts. This way the muscle groups in working can be hammered without killing me.
Exactly one of the main reasons why i was looking into a body split, is to avoid being exhausted and work on a fresh muscle group to plow my way out the door.

No point having the best body in the gym, if your not going to go out and have some fun! :laugh:

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Exactly one of the main reasons why i was looking into a body split, is to avoid being exhausted and work on a fresh muscle group to plow my way out the door.

No point having the best body in the gym, if your not going to go out and have some fun! :laugh:
When I was doing full body I'd pick one or two exercises and just murder them.
None of this 3x5 bullcrap for AIDS patients lol. 20-30 sets of heavy singles and doubles on BTN push press and deadlifts

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
No way I could do a full body without falling out

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
Sometimes I do a workout early in the day and come back later day and do the next muscle group in line.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was doing 3 X full body a week, roughly 40-45 sets in total
It's grueling, but I felt I wasn't as sore during the week. I managed good pumps on everything too, but you need to be seriously motivated to tackle them at 100%

jeffreyshea

jeffreyshea

Awards
I was doing 3 X full body a week, roughly 40-45 sets in total
It's grueling, but I felt I wasn't as sore during the week. I managed good pumps on everything too, but you need to be seriously motivated to tackle them at 100%
I did that on in my early years back when I was in my 20s.
If your sore that's a good thing it means you've torn muscle tissue. The whole idea!
The novice will get sore. This of us who have lifted for years it's a rarity to get sore. I lifted extra heavy on squats last week and I've not been that sore in 20yrs.Major pain! It was muscle soreness exactly what we want.
BUT... Guess what, last night I woke up numerous time with my knee cap burning which is not muscle, it's a joint or something similar. Now what? I squat tommorow... Who knows

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fortitude train8ng by Dr. Scott Stevenson is the best "full body" routine that I've used. Randall J. Strossens's super squats is a good program as well.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Fortitude train8ng by Dr. Scott Stevenson is the best "full body" routine that I've used. Randall J. Strossens's super squats is a good program as well.
Thanks im checking it out - lots of content! Only interested in the meat and potatoes tho lol

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Subbed for info. Want to know if anyone does a super simple compound, low rep, higher frequency program.

Very limited time and my CNS fries fast from long workouts. So thinking of highly effective quick workouts for max stimulation.

Warm up, dynamic stretching, then:

1moderate warm up set to 8 reps then
2x8 of bench
2x8 of front squats
2x8 of dead lift
20 min of LISS cardio cool down.

2-3 times per week.

For maintaining muscle and losing fat in deficit. Thoughts?

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
For maintaining muscle and losing fat in deficit. Thoughts?
I get it and short for time...

Personally I would least do all the major compound movements, and like you said - warm up set then 2 x 8. Or alternate major compound movements like 5 x 5

2x8 bench
2x8 squats
2x8 dead lift
2x8 barbell row
2x8 overhead press

or

Work out A

2x8 squat
2x8 overhead press
2x8 deadlift

Work out B

2x8 squat
2x8 bench press
2x8 barbell row

Alternate workout A and B

I too would love to hear more thoughts...

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I get it and short for time...

Personally I would least do all the major compound movements, and like you said - warm up set then 2 x 8. Or alternate major compound movements like 5 x 5

2x8 bench
2x8 squats
2x8 dead lift
2x8 barbell row
2x8 overhead press

or

Work out A

2x8 squat
2x8 overhead press
2x8 deadlift

Work out B

2x8 squat
2x8 bench press
2x8 barbell row

Alternate workout A and B

I too would love to hear more thoughts...
Great idea!