Awards
Sunday: legs/shoulders
Monday: back/bi/trap
Tuesday: chest/tri/abs
Wednesday: legs/shoulders
Thursday : back/bi/trap
Friday: chest/tri/abs
Sat: off

This is my eight to twelve week program until I plateau. I would like to hear what i could do better if anyone has suggestions. Thanks

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Why are you training shoulders with legs instead of with chest?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
honestly I've never heard of training with shoulders, but it's an interesting concept. Thanks for the suggestion!
Well when you train chest, you're already hitting the front delts. So it makes sense to do some rear and lateral delts at the end of your chest workout, instead of a whole another workout dedicated to the shoulders. At this point you may as well make it into a push/pull/legs split

Day 1: Chest and shoulders
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Arms

With rest days where you need/want them. Additional arm work can be thrown in on the two torso days if you need them also

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well when you train chest, you're already hitting the front delts. So it makes sense to do some rear and lateral delts at the end of your chest workout, instead of a whole another workout dedicated to the shoulders. At this point you may as well make it into a push/pull/legs split

Day 1: Chest and shoulders
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Arms

With rest days where you need/want them. Additional arm work can be thrown in on the two torso days if you need them also
It’s interesting you mention that as I’ve done both (shoulders with legs and with chest), the argument to do with chest is clear as you highlight, your already hitting the front delts, however, for exactly that reason you’ll always be limiting the weight you put overhead due to fatigue so depending on goals it can make sense to combine shoulders with a non competing body part (like legs).

If the aim is to get stronger overhead if shoulders are a lagging area I wouldn’t train with chest but would hit separately (as they are getting hit more frequently, I would throw in some light rear delt work on back day for balance though)

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
It’s interesting you mention that as I’ve done both (shoulders with legs and with chest), the argument to do with chest is clear as you highlight, your already hitting the front delts, however, for exactly that reason you’ll always be limiting the weight you put overhead due to fatigue so depending on goals it can make sense to combine shoulders with a non competing body part (like legs).

If the aim is to get stronger overhead if shoulders are a lagging area I wouldn’t train with chest but would hit separately (as they are getting hit more frequently, I would throw in some light rear delt work on back day for balance though)
Ah yep, I always overhead press at the start of arms day for this reason
Shoulders are not a lagging area for me

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ah yep, I always overhead press at the start of arms day for this reason
Shoulders are not a lagging area for me
Coincidentally just after I read your post and made mine I saw a good PPL article on t nation that was posted today (it would be a better split for op no doubt)