At what age did you give up trying to have the perfect body?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
We all train on here, and look to improve our physiques.

But there comes a point where we realize what we are genetically capable of. Even if we take certain things we know our genetics will only get us so far. I know that for many, when we started out in the gym we all strived to be perfect. For many they picked up a copy of Flex Magazine and said " I am going to look like that one day."

Then after a couple years of training hardcore, you realize that its not that easy.

When did you give up trying to have the perfect body? Instead you come to grips with what you have been been given and work to improve on that each and every day instead?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We all train on here, and look to improve our physiques.

But there comes a point where we realize what we are genetically capable of. Even if we take certain things we know our genetics will only get us so far. I know that for many, when we started out in the gym we all strived to be perfect. For many they picked up a copy of Flex Magazine and said " I am going to look like that one day."

Then after a couple years of training hardcore, you realize that its not that easy.

When did you give up trying to have the perfect body? Instead you come to grips with what you have been been given and work to improve on that each and every day instead?
The only thing that has changed in my perspective is recognizing the difference between natural and not natural, but I am always striving to improve myself to my capabilities and raising the ceiling on my limits.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The ones who give up early are usually the ones who stay alive unfortunately. I feel that with Instagram and social media the need to have a certain body type becomes an obsession for many people who are into fitness. All too often the natural lifter realizes that it is impossible to look a certain way without taking those EXTRA EXTRA steps. The praise these drugged up bodies get on social media must make being a teenager in today’s society very difficult hence adding to the mindset of wanting to use drugs to achieve that ideal physique. Hell it effects men and women of all ages. We live in a very superficial generation

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The ones who give up early are usually the ones who stay alive unfortunately. I feel that with Instagram and social media the need to have a certain body type becomes an obsession for many people who are into fitness. All too often the natural lifter realizes that it is impossible to look a certain way without taking those EXTRA EXTRA steps. The praise these drugged up bodies get on social media must make being a teenager in today’s society very difficult hence adding to the mindset of wanting to use drugs to achieve that ideal physique. Hell it effects men and women of all ages. We live in a very superficial generation
I disagree. It’s not 100% unreachable physiques. It’s 80% being impatient and the remaining 20% being misinformed. I’ve seen some people do amazing things natural. I understand what you’re saying though don’t get me wrong. I just think that the majority of people that want certain physiques know that they aren’t natural but a lot could be obtained naturally. Unfortunately they don’t want to put in all the effort to get there without aid. It is what it is.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol. 58 here and still striving for the best body I can have!!

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
34 ... i mean i still go to the gym and do some jiu-jitsu\box\heavy-lifting and all, but just not to become just fat with no muscle and strengh.

I am a big guy 230 pounds but with 20% BF.

Now i am more into parties and alcohol and beatches.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Define perfect.......I don’t believe it’s about a look, it’s about what that look gives you......

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Define perfect.......I don’t believe it’s about a look, it’s about what that look gives you......
I'll say this about perfect. as a 35yr old farm raised redneck I no longer have any desire to shave bald like an abercrombie model. I'd rather have huge shoulders with a harry manvest and a strong squat. so may be my perspective of what perfection is, has changed.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am 45,and still going Strong until the Cows come home!

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
I think as we age, our idea of what a "perfect" body is changes as well. For instance, in our teens and 20s we might be consumed with having all the showy muscles (bis, tris, pecs, chiseled abs). I know as I get older, my idea of the perfect physique has shifted to one that is both function/athletic and aesthetically pleasing. Over the past year or so I've placed more emphasis on leg development and strength. Legs don't seem to get the glory they deserve among the younger generation and they are arguably the most important body part to train as we age. So for me the perfect body is a moving target, and with realistic expectations....it keeps me motivated to keep hitting the weights.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, a lot can be obtained naturally, but if you want to look like Arnold, or even Zane, you’re going to need some assistance. That said, you can still get pretty big and lean naturally first and then see if you still want to cross that bridge when you get there. I know I’ll never have a perfect body, no one does, not even the Mr. Olympias, but that doesn’t mean I’m resigned to not progress and try to get closer. I’ll just keep working and improving, aiming for perfection but knowing I won’t hit it, but not letting it bother me. If I aim for mediocrity and fall a bit short I’m less than mediocre, and if I succeed I’m still mediocre, but if I aim for greatness and fall a bit short I’ll still be good.

As Bruce Lee said:
“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
My initial thought was “when hell freezes over!” Then I thought what actually am I aiming for?? I see Olympia physiques etc and I know to achieve something like that I’d need strict diet and excessive cycle regime which ain’t me. So the perfect physique for me would be at 5’11” around 230-235lbs ish at between 10-15%bf. I’m around 210lbs now in that bf bracket. So the perfect physique for me is more like an ideal realistic one. I’d take strength over size if I had to choose though. I’d like to sit at around a comfortable 160kg bench, 350kg dead, and 100kg press. I’ve given up with squats due to a bulging disc.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I think as we age, our idea of what a "perfect" body is changes as well. For instance, in our teens and 20s we might be consumed with having all the showy muscles (bis, tris, pecs, chiseled abs). I know as I get older, my idea of the perfect physique has shifted to one that is both function/athletic and aesthetically pleasing. Over the past year or so I've placed more emphasis on leg development and strength. Legs don't seem to get the glory they deserve among the younger generation and they are arguably the most important body part to train as we age. So for me the perfect body is a moving target, and with realistic expectations....it keeps me motivated to keep hitting the weights.
This is true for me also. I certainly didn't strive for a physique like the early Mr America winners when I first started training. I now think these guys had the best of everything. Strength, the illusion of size due an emphasis on aesthetics, a healthy body fat level and excellent physical fitness. I remember watching "Ronnie Coleman: The Unbelievable" years ago. It was the first time I started to question if getting huge was really all it's clapped up to be. The strength he had was impressive but watching Big Ron move about awkwardly on his day job it was clear at this level you're basically an insanely strong man with the encumbrances of an obese man.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Totally agree, now as I close in at age 36 nothing makes me happier when I'm about to grab the bar for a squat set then to see my quads in the mirror and feel huge from the waste down. There was a time that all I cared about was the biceps.

Hooper

Awards
44 here go to the gym everyday and still think I'm going to look like a pro one day. But i know im not I just eat right go to gym that's all I can do. It's like buying a loto ticket and thinking about how to spend the money that you will never win.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
44 here go to the gym everyday and still think I'm going to look like a pro one day. But i know im not I just eat right go to gym that's all I can do. It's like buying a loto ticket and thinking about how to spend the money that you will never win.
I just want to be that guy in my 40s, 50s, and 60s that looks like he spent his life in the gym. no dad bod, no scrawny shoulders. All primal till the end..

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
It was the day I saw The Kaz on a WSM rerun (I was 16)....I stopped worrying about the perfect body and started getting strong as fawk. I'm still chasing my strongest self 27yrs later.....

I know I carry extra body fat and I don't care, I know I can outlift guys half my age and "bigger" then me....that's all that matters

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Same here, but 42. Still striving for better, even if my expectations have changed over the years.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
26, which is my current age. I still want to improve it, but striving for perfection is a little ridiculous.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
45 and I have never sought a "perfect body". My goal has always been to be as strong as possible without sacrificing overall fitness. Physique came along with it, but it was never the goal.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Nowadays i drink too much. but i have a nice body, i mean i drink almost everyday, so im good. TRT probably helps A LOT on that matter, lol.

I remember when i was eighteen i used to think "man when ill be 30 years old i am gonna be big as Arnold and others".

Thing is, now i am 35 and since a long time ago i discovered that even Vin Diesel uses roids, and he is not that big. So **** off and lets live.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nowadays i drink too much. but i have a nice body, i mean i drink almost everyday, so im good. TRT probably helps A LOT on that matter, lol.

I remember when i was eighteen i used to think "man when ill be 30 years old i am gonna be big as Arnold and others".

Thing is, now i am 35 and since a long time ago i discovered that even Vin Diesel uses roids, and he is not that big. So **** off and lets live.
I like the genuineness in this.