Question about front squats

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For those of you that do front squats, which grip do you use? Oly style with wrists bent back, or the cross armed way?

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wrist bent back. Index and middle finger only which allows better comfort. Crossed arms feels weird and uncomfortable

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Cross arm is so much more comfortable for me. I can hold the barbell that way all day. My wrists feel like they'll break off olympic style

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cross arm is so much more comfortable for me. I can hold the barbell that way all day. My wrists feel like they'll break off olympic style
Yeah I always did them oly style and dudes at the gym would shake their heads and motion to each other the cross arm grip, like I was doing it wrong.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I loop straps around the bar and grab the straps instead

Mzakif

Mzakif

Awards
  • Established
Oly style with wrists bent back

It was nearly impossible at the beginning but by time got used to it and wrists and lats flexibility increased

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer the crossed arms position. If it’s good enough for Tom Platz it’s more than good enough for me lol.
595D355F-BD91-4D7D-869D-4C9ECEBC06E7-1990-00000204E25481F2.jpeg

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish I had the mobility to do OLY style. I have to cross mine

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
Lightweight I do OLY and if I’m going heavier I do cross. Trying to get the flexibility the do oly all the time, I don’t like the way my shoulders roll forward when I cross my arms.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lightweight I do OLY and if I’m going heavier I do cross. Trying to get the flexibility the do oly all the time, I don’t like the way my shoulders roll forward when I cross my arms.
That exactly why using the straps as AlexPowell suggested is a better option. Much easier to keep elbows up

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For those of you that do front squats, which grip do you use? Oly style with wrists bent back, or the cross armed way?
I lack the wrist mobility for oly style, so I go with cross. However, arms crossed isn't about the arms, it's about positioning the bar well on the front delts and keeping the upper body upright. Technically, as soon as the bar is stable, one can uncross their arms.

If one has issues with the arms crossed but lacks wrist mobility, using wrist straps is a great way to work around those issues.

https://drjohnrusin.com/front-squat/

Lastly, Zercher squats. It may not work entirely as a front squat, but a very close alternative

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I lack the wrist mobility for oly style, so I go with cross. However, arms crossed isn't about the arms, it's about positioning the bar well on the front delts and keeping the upper body upright. Technically, as soon as the bar is stable, one can uncross their arms.

If one has issues with the arms crossed but lacks wrist mobility, using wrist straps is a great way to work around those issues.

https://drjohnrusin.com/front-squat/

Lastly, Zercher squats. It may not work entirely as a front squat, but a very close alternative
Zerchers are just an awesome exercise anyway lol

I’ll use them as an ab exercise on the end of a leg session. You ever tried it with a slosh pipe?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
those performing zercher squat, are you picking up the bar from the floor? I find it almost impossible to do so.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
those performing zercher squat, are you picking up the bar from the floor? I find it almost impossible to do so.
Out of a rack bro, or off blocks if I’m using the slosh pipe

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Zerchers are just an awesome exercise anyway lol

I’ll use them as an ab exercise on the end of a leg session. You ever tried it with a slosh pipe?
I've never performed them actually. It looks painful on the arm crease.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yes it is. At least for me. I perform it very rarely and only with light weights.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've never performed them actually. It looks painful on the arm crease.
I have a thick axle bar which helps massively. You can also use MMA style pads on the arms. The slosh pipe is a really thick piece of pvc anyway so it’s ideal. There’s a few options.....

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just ordered a lifting belt today. Used to have one but lost it or something. Have a wrecked back so wont be doin heavy squats any time soon but will start very light high rep(20-50) squats soon.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Crossed arms for me. If you wish to get good at weightlifting you should learn a proper rack position, but I’m just trying to get jacked.

Seems like crossed arms worked alright for big Derek Kendall a few years back:

https://youtu.be/Mx6U69RObPg

Jezza Uepa has done 400kg/881 since then cross-armed.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
crossed arms here, but honestly whatever works for you and keeps you from getting injured is the way to go.

Nogoodracing

Awards
I prefer cross arms. Because wrists are don't needed here

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrManlet Anabolics 8
Anabolics 21
rspctble_gain Training Forum 10
MattRoeske Training Forum 6
Anabolics 10