2x a week for growth?

Hourman39

Awards
Is training each muscle group 2x a week the only way to incite growth? I've been doing so and I have to say it's wearing me out. I'm 39 and my program looks like this
Day 1 legs
Day 2 chest and shoulders
Day 3 back and arms
Day 4 rest
Then repeat the process. I'm looking to gain size after cutting down, but is it really necessary to train each group more than once a week? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

stock28

Awards
  • Established
If it’s wearing you out you’re doing too much volume. Cut the sets down and see how your recovery goes.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is training each muscle group 2x a week the only way to incite growth? I've been doing so and I have to say it's wearing me out. I'm 39 and my program looks like this
Day 1 legs
Day 3 back and arms
Day 4 rest
Then repeat the process. I'm looking to gain size after cutting down, but is it really necessary to train each group more than once a week? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Looks like a good set up.
Undulate rep ranges and deload every 4-6 weeks.
Like mentioned above, regulating volume to avoid over fatigue.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I hit each muscle group twice a week,but I take a break on the third or fourth day.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I train each muscle group per day to break it up, and when it gets to be too much. I may drop the weight that week for recovery

Hourman39

Awards
Maybe I'm doing too many lifts each session? I typically start with a big lift using 5l/3/1, then 2 other lifts with medium to high volume on 3 sets plus a warm up set

Newth

Awards
Try a fourth week deload week or day on day off routine. Could be your CNS is taking a beating.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Day 1 legs
Day 3 back and arms
Day 4 rest
Definitely not necessary. You need to find the right amount of work load that you can recover from. Alot of gaining muscle will also be dependent on your nutrition, especially coming off a cut.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I'm doing too many lifts each session? I typically start with a big lift using 5l/3/1, then 2 other lifts with medium to high volume on 3 sets plus a warm up set
Too much volume. Depending on the muscle, you do not need to exceed 12 sets, and that is on the higher end, in a session. Here are some good articles.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/push-pull-legs-the-ultimate-split

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-ppl-training-split

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

https://www.muscleforlife.com/push-pull-legs/

The total volume per session (how many sets and reps you perform per workout) is a key driver in muscle growth. One issue is that people think “more equals better” but this isn’t always the case.

Based on the research, once you’ve done around 5 - 10 sets per muscle group, the body doesn’t require any further stimulus nor will it grow to any significantly greater extent. So, if you’re doing 20 sets for your chest once per week, the second half of your workout, or your last 10 sets, may be a waste of time and energy.

The stimulus your muscle needs for change can be achieved within 5 – 10 solid sets. Beyond that, the muscle is fatigued and the stimulus isn’t producing beneficial results.

Remember, by doing less sets per workout, such as 5 - 10, you can keep your energy level high on each set and perform it with 100% intensity. This will ensure you’re getting the most out of each set, rather than continuing to train a fatigued muscle at a low intensity.
Edit - article is blocked, search in Google

muscle and strength Boost Muscle Growth with High Frequency Training

Hourman39

Awards
Yea but that's only about 12 sets not counting warm up

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Consider working muscle groups multiple times a week, but not all of them in the same week. For example, stick with your split, but do back multiple times in that week and do that for a few weeks. Then do the same with chest and then legs or whatever body parts you want to see the most improvement in.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea but that's only about 12 sets not counting warm up
12 sets is more than enough for a single muscle group.

Answer this, if you were going a typical bro split, hitting everything once a week, how many total working sets would you do for chest?

Hourman39

Awards
Probably four or five different lifts, so 16ish

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably four or five different lifts, so 16ish
So, in theory, if you train chest twice a week, you would only do 8 sets for chest each workout. I don't get your whole it's "only" 12 sets point.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
A whole range of different things work, but nothing works forever

Start with low volume, increase volume over time. Deload for 2-4 weeks when you can't complete your training and then start again with a lower volume.
Increase or decrease frequency every other deload. Or spend 4 weeks higher frequency for one body part, then switch to another

If you're not gaining muscle and not getting fatter either, you're probably not eating enough

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A whole range of different things work, but nothing works forever

Start with low volume, increase volume over time. Deload for 2-4 weeks when you can't complete your training and then start again with a lower volume.
Increase or decrease frequency every other deload. Or spend 4 weeks higher frequency for one body part, then switch to another

If you're not gaining muscle and not getting fatter either, you're probably not eating enough
THIS

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
In regards to training frequency also consider the more you practice something the better you get at it. I find I maintain a stronger mind/muscle connection when training muscles multiple times a week. Let's say you squat every single day. After a few weeks you'll be amazed how much better you'll get even if you've been squatting for years.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Recently I have been doing weakness spot training. Or an area I just wanna see grow more. For now I am hitting chest/back together twice a week but pretty soon I’ll be doing legs. I tend to do this type of training once or twice a year.

BruceWayNE

BruceWayNE

Awards
I like:

Upper
Lower
Rest
Upper
Lower
Rest
Rest

You work the whole body twice a week and get 3 whole days for rest and recovery...and mentally you just have to will yourself to workout twice before you get a break.

You can also throw in cardio and abs on your rest days if you're looking to get/stay lean.