PHAT training Deadlift and Squat?

Pywell89

Awards
Have been doing a modified PPL for a while now and am putting together a PHAT type program to switch to.

How do people fit Squats and Deadlifts into this program if at all for the power workouts? I know I can’t handle back to back squat and deadlift days if I’m going heavy.

I was thinking of using rack pulls as my main power back move on the Monday and then squat on Tuesday, would this be a good work around? The only other way I can see is to rotate Squats and Deadlifts every 4 weeks and have them as my main lower body power move.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The split doesn't lend itself well to training all the powerlifts equally. If you want to do that then I'd recommend a PPL like you've been doing

Squat + legs
Bench + chest / shoulders
Overhead Press + Arms
Deadlift + back

If you really want to do the PHAT split then you can do deadlifts instead of pendlay rows

Pywell89

Awards
Do you think using trap bar deadlifts instead of squats would be a good work around? That way I get to deadlift instead of squat but hit the quads a lot harderz

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Do you think using trap bar deadlifts instead of squats would be a good work around? That way I get to deadlift instead of squat but hit the quads a lot harderz
No I would do deadlifts instead of pendlay rows. Trap bar deadlifts don't really hit the quads more than regular deadlifts. To train the quads you need to be hitting them from the stretched position

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No I would do deadlifts instead of pendlay rows. Trap bar deadlifts don't really hit the quads more than regular deadlifts. To train the quads you need to be hitting them from the stretched position
Lunges? That's the best way to hit mine. But lots of people say " that's just hitting the hip flexers" if I do 8 sets of 20 lunges with 30lb dumbels....I'm crippled for a day. Not my flexers, my butt cheeks.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Who says lunges significantly place any load on the hip flexors? You are extending from a flexed position at both the knee and hip joints, that aint gonna be done with the hip flexors.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lunges? That's the best way to hit mine. But lots of people say " that's just hitting the hip flexers" if I do 8 sets of 20 lunges with 30lb dumbels....I'm crippled for a day. Not my flexers, my butt cheeks.
I never get quite the same glute doms from anything else like high rep lunges. Finished a session yesterday with a set of 100 (50 each side) using just the bar (I wasn’t feeling it that session) - I’m comtemplating standing up to sh1t today

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who says lunges significantly place any load on the hip flexors? You are extending from a flexed position at both the knee and hip joints, that aint gonna be done with the hip flexors.
I agree. I've heard different

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Yeah lunges / split squats are incredible but I definitely wouldn't remove squats or deadlifts to do them