Rear delt training

Country

Awards
Since most peoples rear delts lack compared to their front and sides what do you guys do.

I start with rear delts as weak point training while i have the most energy. I warm up then lay chest down on an incline bench use light weight to really only use my rear delt strict 4 sets 16,14.12,10
Then with cables i use my right hand to grab the left handle left hand to the right handle and cross then straight out in front of my chest focused on mind and muscle connection.
3rd reverse pec deck 4 sets
As a finisher i get 2 10lb plates sit at the edge on the beach and bang out 3 sets of 50 as a burn out.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Try more compound lifts.. like light squat into behind the neck push press..

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reverse Pec deck machine.
Rear delt machine.
Standing cable reverse fly.
One-arm bent-over cable lateral raise.
Bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Incline bench bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Head-supported bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Seated bent-over lateral raise.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I do mentioned above also a little bit of face pulls and up right rows mid grip and at the top pull back towards my neck. Seems to hit them pretty well.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Incline bench chest down dumbbell rear delt raises

Country

Awards
I try and stay away from any movement behind the neck

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
You can't really train them in the stretched position or to failure so I just go for the biggest pump possible. I also do heavy pulling, rows and pulldowns etc - I'm talking isolation exercises here.

I really like face pulls. I sit on a bench when I do them which lets you use a lot more weight

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Reverse Pec deck machine.
Rear delt machine.
Standing cable reverse fly.
One-arm bent-over cable lateral raise.
Bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Incline bench bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Head-supported bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
Seated bent-over lateral raise.
All these are great, I usually do one of these for 4 sets of 10-12 before my pressing workouts, it helps with my shoulder health. Also on back day I will throw some in usually. I like to hold the contraction for a second or two at the top of the movement for every rep and control the weight. This really helps me connect my mind to muscle and actually feel it. This is a hard muscle group to actually feel. Also I think face pulls with the rope attachment or a light band works really well. Still holding that 1 second contraction. I got a lot of this from doing mountaindog programs and my rear delts have really came up alot.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can't really train them in the stretched position or to failure so I just go for the biggest pump possible.
Sure you can, heavy swing partials supporting your chest on the incline bench. Those are brutal

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure you can, heavy swing partials supporting your chest on the incline bench. Those are brutal
Feels so good. I like to finish out drop setting until the 10s even feel like 100s.

Then I do wall spider crawls with a band.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The problem with rear delts is most clients (whom I have trained, trained with, or work with) don't get proper mind muscle connection. I would highly suggest a few things to help improve your rear delts.

1 - Put them first in your shoulder training
2 - Find exercises that give the best MMC
3 - Attack them from a fully stretched position
4 - Eliminate extra momentum
5 - Use Iso-Tension with a partner

A quick shoulder routine that I like to throw together for my clients
Rear Delt Cable Extensions or HS Rear Delt --> work up to a good set of 20/30 with isotension or drop set
DB Laterals or Front Raises (Medial/Side Delt)
HS Press or Smith Press (bring bar right to your chin and back up)

First engage the rear delts, then there is carry over from the other exercises which will stimulate them to a degree. Anyone can do an isolation for them but the premise is stimulation and proper form. Most people you see do rear delts either extend too far (HS/Cables) or use way too much momentum or "Swing" the weight. It is never in a controlled manner which is why they are so hard to engage.

People need to realize if you drop your ego and focus on feeling the muscle work you will see it grow (given proper nutrition, rest, and training). But then again most gym goers are there to number chase.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do reverse pec deck, changing grips and THAT (but with lower weight and way better form -only the arm moves, nothing else!)

[video=youtube;ugvMF2BG_rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvMF2BG_rs[/video]

Reactions: dds
AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The problem with rear delts is most clients (whom I have trained, trained with, or work with) don't get proper mind muscle connection. I would highly suggest a few things to help improve your rear delts.

Rear Delt Cable Extensions or HS Rear Delt --> work up to a good set of 20/30 with isotension or drop set

First engage the rear delts, then there is carry over from the other exercises which will stimulate them to a degree. Anyone can do an isolation for them but the premise is stimulation and proper form. Most people you see do rear delts either extend too far (HS/Cables) or use way too much momentum or "Swing" the weight. It is never in a controlled manner which is why they are so hard to engage.

People need to realize if you drop your ego and focus on feeling the muscle work you will see it grow (given proper nutrition, rest, and training). But then again most gym goers are there to number chase.
How do you put the rear delts into the stretched position? Wouldn't this have your arm all the way across your body?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Nice bro. Great info!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hanging db swings
Same with on the HS machine arms are fully stretched forward before beginning the concentric . I like to lean into the pad to prevent momentum (like most donwhen fully seated). Bring back to where rear delt is engaged (pause) and then negative back from the fully stretched position. People usually bring the machine back too far and take the tension off the rear delts and more along their triceps and traps which is a major no no

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Same with on the HS machine arms are fully stretched forward before beginning the concentric . Bring back to where rear delt is engaged (pause) and then negative back from the fully stretched position.
That pause has made all the difference for me developing a better mind muscle connection.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's what I do, never felt any stretch though

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Light weight barbell behind the neck press,and I have been doing them for years now,with no issues.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What I see continuously with people who do rear delts is their range of motion is too much. This is in my opinion the one muscle group where a shorter range of motion helps to directly target the muscle. People who do bent over DB flyes almost always have their shoulders pulled back. The shoulders should be completely rolled over in front of the body and should maintain that rolled forward position throughout the entire movement. In this position you can’t bring the dumbbells all the way up if you’re truly targeting your rear delts

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Band pull aparts with slightly bent arms and rotated so palms face the ground

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else do the face pulls? I do this on the cable machine with the rope attachment. Sit on a flat bench. Pull either to jaw level or to over the head and externally rotate

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Light weight barbell behind the neck press,and I have been doing them for years now,with no issues.
I'm a fan of heavier btn jerk push/press.. but I'm not super strong so my heavy is still pretty light on that to be safer

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Anyone else do the face pulls? I do this on the cable machine with the rope attachment. Sit on a flat bench. Pull either to jaw level or to over the head and externally rotate
This.
As others stated start with behind the neck OHP.
Move on to heavy/cheated upright rows.
Finish with the facepulls.

That makes vertical push, vertical pull and horizontal pull, all hitting your rear delts. No way they don't grow with that.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I change it up

This week I did bent over db laterals , went up to 65 lbs

one week I may do reverse pec dec and cables

one week facepulls and/or bent over one arm cable laterals...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do Facepulls like this. Best MMC and gets rid of all momentum and helps get them into a stretched position

[video=youtube;pMN5nFfhumg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMN5nFfhumg[/video]

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To my knowledge, no one has suggested executing the movement with a fully protracted scapula. Doing so will help to inhibit the involvement of the scapula.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is in my opinion the one muscle group where a shorter range of motion helps to directly target the muscle
Bingo! This is the ticket!

I also use an "S-Curve" path of motion that maximizes rear delt activation. Maybe one of u fellas who just walked out of your summer kinesiology course can elaborate on the path more clearly than I'm doing.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Was just listening to the hatecast where they talked about this. Btn press and upright rows are the best compound movements for it. Just don't immediately try heavy heavy weight since you aren't as familiar with that ROM and may not have strong rear delts to start with. Reverse peck deck and reverse cable flies are other decent options. They also went over how those movements got a bad rep from a couple articles in the past written by someone who likely fcked up their shoulders by doing db chest flies and over extending.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Behind the Neck Press and upright rows,is the Bread and Butter to building some massive rear delts! If done Safely and with Proper form.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i think like others have said, most gym goers are number chasing, its very rarely you see someone in the gym training with thought

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/HxFs72mYYsM[/video]

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried the "Klokov Presses"? You do them behind the neck, full reset every rep, snatch grip
I used to do these a lot and my shoulders are probably my best body part

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried the "Klokov Presses"? You do them behind the neck, full reset every rep, snatch grip
I used to do these a lot and my shoulders are probably my best body part
Any reference materials showing it or maybe a video?.. just want to learn more about it possibly

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Any reference materials showing it or maybe a video?.. just want to learn more about it possibly
[video=youtube;Oqr4GnICbvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqr4GnICbvE[/video]

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Behind the Neck Press and upright rows,is the Bread and Butter to building some massive rear delts! If done Safely and with Proper form.
I went heavy on behind the neck ive things didnt feel right, got some shoulder minor injury . That said, some can do it without issue like Kevin levrone. For some people Ive talked with it seems to not be the best exercise. If I do it I say go lighter, dont push it.

Cable Upright rows Ive found work pretty well.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I went heavy on behind the neck ive things didnt feel right, got some shoulder minor injury . That said, some can do it without issue like Kevin levrone. For some people Ive talked with it seems to not be the best exercise. If I do it I say go lighter, dont push it.

I only press 50lbs or 60lbs with high reps,when doing BNP. I also find it more easier to do it with the Ez-bar over the Straight bar.

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards

These are dangerous relatively to you ROM and your poportions. Individuals with broad clavicles have a greater mobility and can lower the bar when doing behind the neck OHP, contrary to individuals with narrow clavicles who are risking shoulder impringment when doing so. Anyway any exercice causing chronic pain should be stopped.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These are dangerous relatively to you ROM and your poportions. Individuals with broad clavicles have a greater mobility and can lower the bar when doing behind the neck OHP, contrary to individuals with narrow clavicles who are risking shoulder impringment when doing so. Anyway any exercice causing chronic pain should be stopped.
my shoulders have always been a relatively strong body part and grew easily. Ive had a lot of comments on them , esp when I used to press a lot. I dont press too much but will from time to time, more for a change up, bc I feel i get the most out of lateral stuff. In fact i didnt do any pressing for at least a year on shoulder day. Agreed 100 % , if it hurts stop it immediately!!!!!!!!!!!

old picture from last year. tried to upload competition photo , taking too long

Attachments

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Isn't that just a behind the neck press?
Basically. Just a BTN press with snatch grip. You ever watch any of klokovs videos? Dude snatched like 450 lbs clean and jerks well over 500. OHS over 500. Hes one of my all time favorite lifters

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried a variation of machine behind the neck mimic movement and did one light set and quit, just didn't feel right.

did the cable upright rows though