AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright, in another thread I started, I stated how I hurt my lower back some time ago. First, the left side, then the right side, then the whole back went, but now, it is just the right side. It is not a pain, but rather a discomfort/tightness. The only movements that give me issues are deadlifts and leg press. Although deadlifting yesterday went very well. I think with deadlifts, it is a form thing.

Anyways, I also notice the tightness when using any type of leg press where the weight is pushing down; so a sled or cybex leg press. Again, I can do the movement pain free, but I am thinking that if I do not do leg presses, it might get better quicker.

Here is my dilemma, I always start my hypertrophy leg day with leg presses and then do isolation exercises. I do not squat because on my second leg day of the week, I do two variations, hip thrusts, and two isolation. Also, I am looking to get in and out on a Tuesday and would need to wait for a rack.

Here is the current hypertrophy routine day:

Leg Press - 3 sets
Lying Hamstring Curl - 3 sets
Leg Extensions - 3 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 3 sets

I probably have enough volume in there by just eliminating leg press altogether, but I was thinking of what I could do instead. Here are some different options.

Option 1

Leg Extensions - 6 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 3 sets

Option 2

Leg Extensions - 5 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 4 sets

Option 3

Leg Extensions - 3 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 3 sets
Leg Press - 3 sets (this would force me to go lighter, which would feel better on the back and I could aim for 15-20 reps)

Option 4

Smith Squats (quad focus)
Leg Extensions - 3 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 3 sets

Option 5

Leg Extensions - 3 sets
Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets
Split Squat - 3 sets
Horizontal Leg Press - 3 sets (I tried to use this today, but after reverse hypers, so it did not feel great on that area of the back, but it might if they are not performed before)

I put emphasis on quads this day since the second leg day is more focused on hamstrings.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think this MAY tell us that you have a muscle imbalance. You can lift the heavier weights on the leg press because you are fresh, but something else can't take it.

Given this - why not try doing your isolation exercises first to pre-exhaust your legs, and then go lighter on the leg presses and see if this helps? So, options 3 and 5 seem to achieve this. My thinking is that rather than avoid an exercise altogether, this will allow you to see benefit with a lighter weight, give whatever muscle weakness you may have time to catch up, and also help you work on form, etc.

It should also reduce the chance for injury because you'll be using a lighter weight than you normally do.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't seem like enough volume to me
Try 8x12 regular squatting with 4x15 on the other day, no other quad work, nice and deep, slow and controlled (use a smith machine if it helps) and see where that gets you

The back problems are from lumbar rounding, do some single leg RDLs before you train to anchor your hamstrings

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unilateral/kb split squat
-or-
BFR leg ext

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Going based just off the options you put in , I'd say 1 because I really believe leg extensions are underrated as f*ck but if it's a true Hypertrophy day I'd stay away from anything under 15 reps maybe 2x15 2x20 2x25 or 2x25 2x15-20 2x12 (drop sets or rest pause on both the last sets). And if you train with some one have them always push you 5+ more reps once you've failed. I was hitting legs 3x a week before I got hurt (1 hamstring day 1 quad day 1 all out leg day) and keeping squats to 2 of the 3 that I had the most time so if quad day was no squats I'd go leg press then a sh1t ton of leg extensions and I really think they were a big part of what lead to the growth and development I got during that time.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do you have access to a hack squat machine?

Failing that a sissy squat I’d have in there for quads for sure.

Split squats are great but I personally find barbell lunges better as I can load up more (I actually like to superset barbell lunges with bw split squats to really mess myself up). The lunge is vastly under rated imo

If your trying to protect your back a bit then belt squats are worth considering.....

I’d probably look to increase the volume of single leg work as well, if you do have a muscular imbalance that will help, as well as the more traditional lunges/split squats/pistols things like weighted step ups etc

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't seem like enough volume to me
Try 8x12 regular squatting with 4x15 on the other day, no other quad work, nice and deep, slow and controlled (use a smith machine if it helps) and see where that gets you

The back problems are from lumbar rounding, do some single leg RDLs before you train to anchor your hamstrings
This. If you can squat ATG do so. Best bang for your buck. Building a strong deep squat also has great carryover to DL in my experience. I don't train DL at all due to lower back issues and yet my DL always stays 100lb or so ahead of my squat.