Training plan for next 12 months

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got engaged a couple of weeks ago, with the wedding scheduled for next July. Destination wedding and the honeymoon in Ibiza. World capital of skimpy swimsuits. Formulating a plan to be prepared.

Background:

I'm 33. Trained hard in my early/mid 20's. Did SS, 5x5, HIT, etc. I have two herniated discs in my back, along with a slipped vertebra and a pars defect. Deadlifts, squats and most freeweights are largely out. I resumed weight training seriously a couple of months ago. Before that, had concentrated on cardio, swimming, and a military calisthenics routine- primarily trained for overall conditioning. I'm an endurance athlete, so this stuff was fun for me, but didn't get me the changes in my body that I'm going for. I also do 2 HIIT cardio sessions per week.

Currently doing a full body HIT style lifting routine. 2-3 workouts per week, depending on how I feel in regards to recovery. I have two workouts I alternate, one is chest/back/legs, the other is arms/shoulders/legs. Yes, I'm aware that HIT is hugely controversial. Many here won't agree with it. I appreciate any helpful input, but please spare me the flame war.

Current Stats:
I finished attempting to cut in April, and rolled into a mass building phase. I have since gained 10lbs and lost a little over an inch on my waist. I'm 6'2, current weight 210, 36" waist. Estimated BF in the high teens. I was at 227 a couple years ago, lost 40lbs but was rail thin with no muscle mass whatsoever. In my earlier years, I peaked at 208lbs and about 12% BF after a run with dymethazine. Overall, I feel like I'm reasonably lean but have always held fat in the lovehandle/saddle bag area. Even at my leanest I could never get rid of that.

Goal:

I'm going for the fitness model look, not the bodybuilder look. I'd like to get to the 10-12% bf range. I do not care about my end weight. That said, I will track progress through training by monitoring weight and waist size. I'd like to get down to a 34" waist.

Supplements and such:

I'm open to anything that doesn't involve a needle. Finishing up a sarm stack now. Not sure how I feel about them, but they're about to be gone, anyway.

Nutrition:

I lived on Keto for about 3 years up until april. Did it to lose 40lbs a couple years back but loved how I felt from a cognitive and energy standpoint. Over time, I felt like it dragged my metabolism down, like I've heard people say. I'm back to eating carbs, which still feels weird and I'm leery of putting on fat, but so far so good of late.

Typical day of eating looks like:

1/2 scoop vitargo w/ creatine before my AM workout
1 scoop purple wraath intraworkout

2 scoops protein and 2 scoops oat powder PWO

serving of rice and chicken(or similar, depending on whats available for lunch at work that day, but it's usually pretty similar) 2 hours PWO

1 scoop protein, 1 scoop oats

3 grilled chicken tacos

1pt pasteurized egg whites before bed

Totaled this up on myfitnesspal weeks ago, and I'm going off the top of my head, but it was about 2800calories, 220g carbs, 240g protein and 100g fat.

Most of the time I eat relatively clean, but I do sneak a cookie now and again. I work in a kitchen, and when the oatmeal raisins come out of the oven, they're hard to resist all the time. I don't drink heavily, but I deal with plenty of morons every day so I generally have a cocktail after work to wash the stupid down.

Training:

Currently on the full body HIT workouts, but will switch to a split routine after summer, starting in September.

Any input and suggestions welcome.

D

daywalker81

Awards
Got engaged a couple of weeks ago, with the wedding scheduled for next July. Destination wedding and the honeymoon in Ibiza. World capital of skimpy swimsuits. Formulating a plan to be prepared.

Background:

I'm 33. Trained hard in my early/mid 20's. Did SS, 5x5, HIT, etc. I have two herniated discs in my back, along with a slipped vertebra and a pars defect. Deadlifts, squats and most freeweights are largely out. I resumed weight training seriously a couple of months ago. Before that, had concentrated on cardio, swimming, and a military calisthenics routine- primarily trained for overall conditioning. I'm an endurance athlete, so this stuff was fun for me, but didn't get me the changes in my body that I'm going for. I also do 2 HIIT cardio sessions per week.

Currently doing a full body HIT style lifting routine. 2-3 workouts per week, depending on how I feel in regards to recovery. I have two workouts I alternate, one is chest/back/legs, the other is arms/shoulders/legs. Yes, I'm aware that HIT is hugely controversial. Many here won't agree with it. I appreciate any helpful input, but please spare me the flame war.

Current Stats:
I finished attempting to cut in April, and rolled into a mass building phase. I have since gained 10lbs and lost a little over an inch on my waist. I'm 6'2, current weight 210, 36" waist. Estimated BF in the high teens. I was at 227 a couple years ago, lost 40lbs but was rail thin with no muscle mass whatsoever. In my earlier years, I peaked at 208lbs and about 12% BF after a run with dymethazine. Overall, I feel like I'm reasonably lean but have always held fat in the lovehandle/saddle bag area. Even at my leanest I could never get rid of that.

Goal:

I'm going for the fitness model look, not the bodybuilder look. I'd like to get to the 10-12% bf range. I do not care about my end weight. That said, I will track progress through training by monitoring weight and waist size. I'd like to get down to a 34" waist.

Supplements and such:

I'm open to anything that doesn't involve a needle. Finishing up a sarm stack now. Not sure how I feel about them, but they're about to be gone, anyway.

Nutrition:

I lived on Keto for about 3 years up until april. Did it to lose 40lbs a couple years back but loved how I felt from a cognitive and energy standpoint. Over time, I felt like it dragged my metabolism down, like I've heard people say. I'm back to eating carbs, which still feels weird and I'm leery of putting on fat, but so far so good of late.

Typical day of eating looks like:

1/2 scoop vitargo w/ creatine before my AM workout
1 scoop purple wraath intraworkout

2 scoops protein and 2 scoops oat powder PWO

serving of rice and chicken(or similar, depending on whats available for lunch at work that day, but it's usually pretty similar) 2 hours PWO

1 scoop protein, 1 scoop oats

3 grilled chicken tacos

1pt pasteurized egg whites before bed

Totaled this up on myfitnesspal weeks ago, and I'm going off the top of my head, but it was about 2800calories, 220g carbs, 240g protein and 100g fat.

Most of the time I eat relatively clean, but I do sneak a cookie now and again. I work in a kitchen, and when the oatmeal raisins come out of the oven, they're hard to resist all the time. I don't drink heavily, but I deal with plenty of morons every day so I generally have a cocktail after work to wash the stupid down.

Training:

Currently on the full body HIT workouts, but will switch to a split routine after summer, starting in September.

Any input and suggestions welcome.
I believe that’s a solid plan indeed

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Will add pics on e i hit post count minimum

D

daywalker81

Awards
I support the point of reducing carbs after 6 pm in your last meal as you are doing with white egg for example as metabolism rate reduce by evening naturally .

Good luck

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Good luck and congratulations
The energy loss that you get on keto and when dieting are due to the following deficiencies: Iodine, calcium, sodium, Vitamin D

Corn tortillas have been shown to completely block mineral absorption. Please avoid corn tacos.

Red meat will be your friend when dieting. Looking at your macros you can eat a kilogram of 10% fat ground beef a day and you'll be at 100g fat, 200g protein and then you can eat the carbs on top of this. This will give you way better results than chicken and egg whites. The nutrient profile doesn't even compare. Salt your food with the iodized salt. Get a blood test - chances are you'll need 5000-8000ui of Vitamin D per day also

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I never had energy loss on keto. My appetite disappeared and the scale stagnated, but energy was absolutely never an issue. Thats why i liked keto so much.

Fortunately, i use flour tortillas for my tacos.

Ive been trying to eat more quinoa here lately, instead of tortillas and rice.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I never had energy loss on keto. My appetite disappeared and the scale stagnated, but energy was absolutely never an issue. Thats why i liked keto so much.

Fortunately, i use flour tortillas for my tacos.

Ive been trying to eat more quinoa here lately, instead of tortillas and rice.
One more thing I can suggest is to try and eat the same foods daily as well. Your body will get better at digesting them. It's boring I know but I feel people get better results when they don't switch around their food all the time

K

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
In all honesty, if you already have decent amount of muscle mass and looking for that fitness look, stuff like insanity, p90x , bootcamp type workouts best for your goals.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In all honesty, if you already have decent amount of muscle mass and looking for that fitness look, stuff like insanity, p90x , bootcamp type workouts best for your goals.
I dont have much muscle mass, thats a big part of why my cut really stalled out. Need to make this furnace bigger.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are reasons a low carb diet stalls. I have discussed it in other threads but my theories aren't always popular and I dont want to give away all my ideas. :)

I think adding carbs in is a good move. You have a good balance of macros - but I have been experimenting with higher protein lately myself and I feel it is making a difference. For your size I would be shooting for 350 g of protein give or take, which would mean you might need to drop some of the fat and some of the carbs in order to stay under your caloric goal. I am doing this myself because I think it will improve metabolic flexibility over time. I have a few reasons for thinking this but that is basically what it seems like you are trying to accomplish - restore your carb tolerance.

As far as HIT goes, have you read Mentzer's book? There are some seemingly minor details that make a big difference IMO. One of these is the rep cadence - very slow movements. The other is that you hit true muscle failure - which is the point at which you can no longer resist the negative motion of the weight, not just failure until you can't lift it.
hairygrandpa may like this thread.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hairygrandpa may like this thread.
Sorry, not really. You know by now what I think about "planing" diets. Bullsh1t!
Eat less, move more. Period. Its only rocket science if you want it to be.

I'm still not where I want to be, so my input is of no help. Its not because I haven't planed enough, its because my discipline sucks.

;)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry, not really. You know by now what I think about "planing" diets. Bullsh1t!
Eat less, move more. Period. Its only rocket science if you want it to be.

I'm still not where I want to be, so my input is of no help. Its not because I haven't planed enough, its because my discipline sucks.

;)
You sure? Failure to plan is planning to fail :)

Discipline is certainly a key and you are great at calling people on this...you keep it real.

But this guy is doing minimalist training and a moderate diet. I get the feeling he is trying to pack on mass more than just diet....could be misreading.

Where do you think Little Debby would be if she relied on willpower? Nah, she had a plan to make eating sugar easy and accessible everywhere.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Discipline is certainly a key and you are great at calling people on this...you keep it real.

But this guy is doing minimalist training and a moderate diet. I get the feeling he is trying to pack on mass more than just diet....could be misreading.

Where do you think Little Debby would be if she relied on willpower? Nah, she had a plan to make eating sugar easy and accessible everywhere.
Thing is, I suspect that the "big planer" are not the "big (fat) loser". OP started the thread with way too much info. On the other hand, he managed in the past to stay for long time on keto, meaning he has discipline.

Wait...

I lived on Keto for about 3 years up until april. Did it to lose 40lbs a couple years back
I was wrong on the discipline part. 3 years keto, 40lbs lost...that is, well, sad.

I'm not in a good mood today, I guess it shows.... sorry.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Ive read Mentzer, Darden, Rheinhart and Baye. Well versed in the ideology behind HIT, not new to training in it. Couple months in now, this time around. Started conservative on the weight, added weight every workout. Rep range started higher and is lowering over time. Some lifts are down to 5-7 reps. Slow reps, focusing on the negative, finishing the set absolutely shot.

Let me clarify the goal. Im not looking to spend a whole year dieting down. Seems unnecessary and would likely drop too much muscle that i dont have to give.

My plan is this:

Build mass at a conservative rate until march. My currwnt macros may need adjustmwnt as lbm goes up, but adding mass as well as inches to my waist is counterintuitive. I want this to be as lean and clean as possible.

Around march, start the cut. If Ive added lbm over the course of the next few months, cutting then should be easier than now. Pictures would be helpful but i cant post them yet.

Im on my phone, but ill post current workouts and planned split routine later.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thing is, I suspect that the "big planer" are not the "big (fat) loser". OP started the thread with way too much info. On the other hand, he managed in the past to stay for long time on keto, meaning he has discipline.

Wait...

I was wrong on the discipline part. 3 years keto, 40lbs lost...that is, well, sad.

I'm not in a good mood today, I guess it shows.... sorry.
To be clear, i lost those 40lbs in the first 4 months then maintained a slightly higher weight, until recently. It didnt take me 3 years to lose 40lbs. Either your reading comprehension is terrible, or you simply have a very negative world view.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive read Mentzer, Darden, Rheinhart and Baye. Well versed in the ideology behind HIT, not new to training in it. Couple months in now, this time around. Started conservative on the weight, added weight every workout. Rep range started higher and is lowering over time. Some lifts are down to 5-7 reps. Slow reps, focusing on the negative, finishing the set absolutely shot.

Let me clarify the goal. Im not looking to spend a whole year dieting down. Seems unnecessary and would likely drop too much muscle that i dont have to give.

My plan is this:

Build mass at a conservative rate until march. My currwnt macros may need adjustmwnt as lbm goes up, but adding mass as well as inches to my waist is counterintuitive. I want this to be as lean and clean as possible.

Around march, start the cut. If Ive added lbm over the course of the next few months, cutting then should be easier than now. Pictures would be helpful but i cant post them yet.

Im on my phone, but ill post current workouts and planned split routine later.
HIT4ME is your guy to talk to. He is unrivaled in knowledge of this topic. Also for unconventional training approaches that actually work.
Maybe by talking to him, you could light his fuse a bit to get into gear, he got lazy and fat again. :)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be clear, i lost those 40lbs in the first 4 months then maintained a slightly higher weight, until recently. It didnt take me 3 years to lose 40lbs. Either your reading comprehension is terrible, or you simply have a very negative world view.
...negative worldview.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw way too many newcomers with big plans failing here on AM. HIT4ME and I wasted a lot of time on them in the past.
My enthusiasm was a bit curved by it. Sorry for that.
Also, I'm a guy with a lot of humor, try to go along with it. ;)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lmao...the guys name is hairygrandpa. Doesn't that just kind of convey a certain level of crotchety old man?

He also speaks German better than English.

And he hates everyone and everything. That's why I like him so much.

But, he knows WAY more than he let's on, is funny as hell (not as funny as SFreed though) and like I said, he will keep it real. We all need to be called out a little. We dont have to listen...but it's good to get called out for when we are ready to listen haha.

HIT4ME is your guy to talk to. He is unrivaled in knowledge of this topic. Also for unconventional training approaches that actually work.
Maybe by talking to him, you could light his fuse a bit to get into gear, he got lazy and fat again. :)
See...like here. I HEAR what he is saying...but not listening. Something about fat and lazy? Sure..he is right. I am just not ready.

But he is way to kind with his compliments of me...he and others on here are pretty damned smart.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I saw way too many newcomers with big plans failing here on AM. HIT4ME and I wasted a lot of time on them in the past.
My enthusiasm was a bit curved by it. Sorry for that.
Also, I'm a guy with a lot of humor, try to go along with it. ;)
Haha, but we had some good times right?

You kind of have to embrace the failure a little...fail, learn. Adjust, fail, learn, adjust, succeed.

And to be honest, I would have been one of those failures without your pushing....I know I have failed now by sliding back...but I did have some success. And if you didn't take the chance on giving me your effort I may not even have had that. It is something I truly appreciate more than you know. You helped me way more than anyone in my "real" life.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, but we had some good times right?

You kind of have to embrace the failure a little...fail, learn. Adjust, fail, learn, adjust, succeed.

And to be honest, I would have been one of those failures without your pushing....I know I have failed now by sliding back...but I did have some success. And if you didn't take the chance on giving me your effort I may not even have had that. It is something I truly appreciate more than you know. You helped me way more than anyone in my "real" life.
Thank you. That is because I have no real life, hanging around in a virtual forum, watching you guys fail. ;)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you. That is because I have no real life, hanging around in a virtual forum, watching you guys fail. ;)
I thought it was because I have no REAL LIFE FRIENDS.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We are hijacking jrock645 's thread, filling his precious space.
jrock645 , how about a before pic? This way we would have a reference to your progress.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We are hijacking jrock645 's thread, filling his precious space.
jrock645 , how about a before pic? This way we would have a reference to your progress.
Isn't that how we roll?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
There are reasons a low carb diet stalls. I have discussed it in other threads but my theories aren't always popular and I dont want to give away all my ideas. :)
Feel free to discuss in my log, as I have my own ways of preventing "stalls" on zero carbohydrate diets - would be a good discussion!
Best diet though is the one that you'll stick with!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Feel free to discuss in my log, as I have my own ways of preventing "stalls" on zero carbohydrate diets - would be a good discussion!
Well...I've discussed elsewhere and it has to do with the fact that burning fat is well actually an efficient conversion of mass to calories...which means it is inefficient for fat loss (counter intuituvely).

Being fat makes you really good at burning fat for energy. Caloric deficits, and low carb diets make you even better at burning fat. Lean people tend to burn carbs.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Still a few more posts to go before I can post pics. Will post then.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ll have to check it out, too.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Current workouts-

Split A:
Leg press
Calf raises
Thigh abductor(the one where you push knees away from each other)
Lateral raise
Shoulder press
Upright row
Dips
Bicep curl
Myotatic crunch
Cat vomit

B:
Leg extension
Leg curl
Thigh anductor
Back extension
Pec deck
Decline press
Lat pull
Machine row
Myotatic crunch
Cat vomit

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Well...I've discussed elsewhere and it has to do with the fact that burning fat is well actually an efficient conversion of mass to calories...which means it is inefficient for fat loss (counter intuituvely).

Being fat makes you really good at burning fat for energy. Caloric deficits, and low carb diets make you even better at burning fat. Lean people tend to burn carbs.
I do agree and I think one of the major pitfalls of ketogenic style diets is that they have some fear of protein to avoid gluconeogenesis
I'm getting at least 60% of my calories from protein and equally importantly - red meat. Low insulin + high glucagon + carnitine = the perfect catabolic environment

Where a lot of people go wrong with ketogenic diets is they'll skip the red meat for fish, chicken and pork, keep the protein really low then get as much as 80% of their calories from fats. There is no dietary carnitine to escort the fatty acids into the mitocondria, glucagon is not as high as it should be and they are not getting the same amount of ketogenesis as there is free fatty acids to use for energy instead. So they are not in as much a catabolic state

So looks like we actually agree, just two different ways of tackling the same problem :)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Current workouts-

Split A:
Leg press
Calf raises
Thigh abductor(the one where you push knees away from each other)
Lateral raise
Shoulder press
Upright row
Dips
Bicep curl
Myotatic crunch
Cat vomit

B:
Leg extension
Leg curl
Thigh anductor
Back extension
Pec deck
Decline press
Lat pull
Machine row
Myotatic crunch
Cat vomit
Honestly, I'm missing compound movements. Deadlift, bench press, squats, pull ups, dips, Overhead press. Have you any limitations (bad knees or something?).

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s a ways away, so this could all change based on how the next two months go.... But here is a general idea of what I’m thinking with the split routine starting in September.

Chest/biceps:
Smith machine bench
Cable cross or pec deck
Incline press
Dips
Palms up pull down
Curls

Legs:
Calf raise
Leg press
Abductor machine
Leg extension
Leg curl
Seated calf raise
Low weight, high rep squat(20-50 reps)

Back/triceps:
Lat pull
Mid back pinch(cable row machine, all movement from rhomboids, arms kept straight)
Machine row
Single arm lat pull
Back extension
Dips
Close grip bench
Cable tricep extension

Shoulders/traps:
Machine shoulder press
Lateral raise
Rear felt fly
Upright row
Arnold press
Shrugs

1-2 core movements added to each workout, but that’s the general idea. 2-3 workouts per week. Muscle group volume will go up vs current routine, but will be a reduction in frequency.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly, I'm missing compound movements. Deadlift, bench press, squats, pull ups, dips, Overhead press. Have you any limitations (bad knees or something?).
2 herniated discs in my back, along with a spondy. Was a horrifying feeling/experience, and a long rehab process. I narrowly avoided fusion surgery. I would like to add high rep squats into my split routine to test the waters, and I see lots of benefits if I can handle doing it, but deadlifts are out. Problem with my back injury is I won’t know if I’ve overdone it u til a day or two later, and then it’s too late. Sometimes takes weeks to get back into balance after things like that.

K

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
Wow I’ve been lifting weights and studying different programs/exercises for upwards to 20 years and I just learned what cat vomit was.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 herniated discs in my back, along with a spondy. Was a horrifying feeling/experience, and a long rehab process. I narrowly avoided fusion surgery. I would like to add high rep squats into my split routine to test the waters, and I see lots of benefits if I can handle doing it, but deadlifts are out. Problem with my back injury is I won’t know if I’ve overdone it u til a day or two later, and then it’s too late. Sometimes takes weeks to get back into balance after things like that.
Ah, I see. You are not alone. You got a lot of different exercises going -no boredom to be expected. :)

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Wow I’ve been lifting weights and studying different programs/exercises for upwards to 20 years and I just learned what cat vomit was.
Ha! Yeah it’s an odd name for an exercise. Something I pulled from 4hour body. That and the myotatic crunch certainly feel like they hit the abs hard.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ha! Yeah it’s an odd name for an exercise. Something I pulled from 4hour body. That and the myotatic crunch certainly feel like they hit the abs hard.
I knew that exercise from yoga, helps with constipation, no joke, LOL. Just don't do it at the beginning of a workout, it really works.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ah, I see. You are not alone. You got a lot of different exercises going -no boredom to be expected. :)
You know, it’s kinda funny... I sometimes hear people say they tried a routine or an exercise but didn’t like it, so they stopped. Not that it was ineffective, but because they didn’t like it. One thing about the HIT methodology is that it’s decidedly unpleasant. Done properly, there’s no way you’re gonna like it. But... who says you need to like it?! It’s not a hobby like waxing the car, it’s stimulation to force muscle growth, which the body doesn’t want to do. You don’t do it for fun, you do it to grow. It’s like a lot of things we eat in this lifestyle. Sure, chicken and rice isn’t nearly as likeable as, say, pizza. But one serves toward the goal and the other doesn’t.

Ok, end rant.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In for the experience.

And grumpy hairygrandpa posts.

And super long HIT4ME posts.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In for the experience.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In for the experience.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In for the experience.

In for the experience.

In for the experience.

If I triple posted one of my super long posts, I'd kill Anabolic Minds. Entire site would crash probably.

But what you said was so good, I got to like it 3x.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You know, Mentzer would not have seen this as a big problem at all. He actually didn't include deadlifts in most of his plans and squats were done after leg extensions to pre-exhaust as a superset.

I've actually adapted this myself where I superset leg extensions with leg presses and it is pretty challenging and I would say an effective quad builder. I could see dropping squats if I had a reason like yours and focusing on this setup.

What Mentzer did always say is that one of the great things about lifting weights was that it didn't matter who you are, what your situation was, etc. - you could always improve and that was what mattered. If you are a midget or even missing a limb or a paraplegic- there is always something you can still work on and benefit from and enjoy. You may not end up being Mr. O - but that doesn't have to be the point or the enjoyment. I think with all the controversy and the appearance of arrogance in some of his theories, stuff like that was often missed. It just strikes me as a focus on enjoying what you can have and not what you've lost or don't have.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I triple posted one of my super long posts, I'd kill Anabolic Minds. Entire site would crash probably.

But what you said was so good, I got to like it 3x.
Was going to edit, but the h3ll with it. Need to up my post count, anyway.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Was going to edit, but the h3ll with it. Need to up my post count, anyway.
Haha - I joined in 2012 and you joined in 2015. I have twice the time here and you have 25% more posts. My posts should count as 3 all the time though. I bet the sheer volume of my posts is only matched by MrKleen73 haha.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout struggles today. Didnt hit any of my yargets after legs. Was trying to push through next week since i leave for vacation on the 13th, but time for a couple rest days.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Workout struggles today. Didnt hit any of my yargets after legs. Was trying to push through next week since i leave for vacation on the 13th, but time for a couple rest days.
That is the reason I don't plan my workouts. I just do what I can. No guilty feelings afterwards.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That is the reason I don't plan my workouts. I just do what I can. No guilty feelings afterwards.
Im a planner by nature. Cant operate without one. That said, any plan has to be able to be modified to fit circumstances.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im a planner by nature. Cant operate without one. That said, any plan has to be able to be modified to fit circumstances.
All my plans got modified over time and now reached optimal efficiency, by becomming intuitive. :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All my plans got modified over time and now reached optimal efficiency, by becomming intuitive. :)
Planning is extremely valuable, but plans are worthless.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Training Forum 6
ChocolateClen Training Forum 0
AnthG82 Workout Logs 7
D Training Forum 19
DocOptimzed 35 and Older 6