PPL + full body

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys.. looking to switch up my training a little, but I really only have 4 days a week to train, and generally about an hour to an hour and 15 mins. Has anyone ever done a 3 day PPL with an additional full body day? My thought was start Monday with a heavy full body, maybe squats/good mornings/and alternate overhead press and bench every week. Then take Tuesday off, followed by a higher volume push Wednesday, pull Thursday and lower Friday. I figured this may be an efficient way to get a heavy strength day that hits everything and then also gets the volume in for hypertrophy, all while hitting every muscle group twice a week. Any thoughts?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think you'd be better off doing an upper/lower split, 2x/wk. half strength focused, half hypertrophy focused (like PHAT routine)

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's actually what I've been doing, the only problem is the volume I've built up to is making my upper days a little too long for the time I have.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That's actually what I've been doing, the only problem is the volume I've built up to is making my upper days a little too long for the time I have.
then you have to prioritze certain exercises or body parts... switching to PPL wont help the fact taht you only have 4 days to hit each bart as much as you can

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Halve the volume for a month, then start adding sets and you will no longer have this problem

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What about a push/pull routine with hams on one day and quads on the other. Did that before and liked it.

Gcrewhcp

Gcrewhcp

Awards
Hey guys.. looking to switch up my training a little, but I really only have 4 days a week to train, and generally about an hour to an hour and 15 mins. Has anyone ever done a 3 day PPL with an additional full body day? My thought was start Monday with a heavy full body, maybe squats/good mornings/and alternate overhead press and bench every week. Then take Tuesday off, followed by a higher volume push Wednesday, pull Thursday and lower Friday. I figured this may be an efficient way to get a heavy strength day that hits everything and then also gets the volume in for hypertrophy, all while hitting every muscle group twice a week. Any thoughts?
If youre going to train 4x a week I really like the following split:

Mon: Deadlift emphasis, lower body
Tues: Chest, Shoulders, Tris
Wed: Off
Thurs: Squat emphasis, lower body
Fri: Off
Sat: Back, biceps
Sun: Off

Allows enough recovery for the type of frequency youre looking for. This format spreads it out enough so youre not hitting the same muscle groups even when you train on the two consecutive days Mon and Fri.