Program to do for Cut?

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
So I'm 16, 230 pounds, have just started keto, will continue until mid summer and then will shift to low carb diet simply. I have 3 years of lifting experience and want to find the program right. I was thinking of doing a mix of DogCrapp and PHAT, or to do a Mountain Dog program, which one would be best?

Goals:Lose maximum fat and gain athletic performance(speed, explosive strength, endurance)

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
So I'm 16, 230 pounds, have just started keto, will continue until mid summer and then will shift to low carb diet simply. I have 3 years of lifting experience
You are 16, is that a typo?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I would just suggest you eat in a caloric deficit (500 kcals below maintenance) and train in the 5 to 8 rep range and allow nature to do its magic.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I'm 16, 230 pounds, have just started keto, will continue until mid summer and then will shift to low carb diet simply. I have 3 years of lifting experience and want to find the program right. I was thinking of doing a mix of DogCrapp and PHAT, or to do a Mountain Dog program, which one would be best?

Goals:Lose maximum fat and gain athletic performance(speed, explosive strength, endurance)
You're looking at a good program no matter what you do. You're in keto so watch the macro ration Fat first; Protein Second; Carbs? Carbs? Beuller? lol.

Start a log on your progress in keto and your programming of choice. You can do whatever you want. Add in 5-7 minutes of cardio before and after.

Done. You're going to rock out!

-M

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
You're looking at a good program no matter what you do. You're in keto so watch the macro ration Fat first; Protein Second; Carbs? Carbs? Beuller? lol.

Start a log on your progress in keto and your programming of choice. You can do whatever you want. Add in 5-7 minutes of cardio before and after.

Done. You're going to rock out!

-M
Okay, I was hoping to find people they have done these plans since I have heard such good things, I need to add in cardio but this first week is kicking my ass and I'm sore all over, getting back into the groove us hard

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A different program is needed when bulking or cutting. You may need to modify your program, but do not need to completely change it. If you have success on a single program, use that when cutting. When cutting, you may need to reduce volume. I would still focus on lifting as heavy as possible so you do not lose strength and mass. Keep workouts short and simple.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Training doesn't change for cutting, just add more cardio and cut calories

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
At your age I would focus on strength, it will pay off big-time a few years down the road. Isolation work not really necessary in the beginning. Get strong now. Plus at your age you should get bigger on just about any program if your consistent. Do not fall in the habit of changing routines all the time. Whatever routine you go with give it 2-3 months to feel it out.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
At your age I would focus on strength, it will pay off big-time a few years down the road. Isolation work not really necessary in the beginning. Get strong now. Plus at your age you should get bigger on just about any program if your consistent. Do not fall in the habit of changing routines all the time. Whatever routine you go with give it 2-3 months to feel it out.
I understand, I have almost always done compound movements, this is my first isolation

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been interested in Jim Stoppani’s 6 week program, “Shortcut to Shred.” If I weren’t injured I’d probably give it a shot, or I’d at least take some of the principles from it and incorporate it into my training. Check the program out. I guarantee you drop a lot of body fat if you follow that program diligently.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I would just suggest you eat in a caloric deficit (500 kcals below maintenance) and train in the 5 to 8 rep range and allow nature to do its magic.
+1 Here, my younger bro is 19, 20 later this year in SEP, he has been getting awesome results with his cut this year by just dieting with me, it is harsh though PSMF style with added greens, good multivitamin, super b complex. all he has on occasion is strong black coffee in the AM, we also perform IF 16/8 most days to be able to deal with low food intake. he sometimes goes 20 hours fasting and fits all meals into a 4 hour window which is more like the warrior diet, besides the calorie deficit and weight training performed he uses whey isolate, whey concentrate and micellar casein as part of the diet and is using Creatine Mono, that is about it, no fat burners or pre workouts, he is also the leanest i have seen him despite using bloodshr3d raw and ignit3 on his last cut, so it proves it can be done just with hard work and strict dieting mainly with a decent caloric deficit.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anytime I do a cut I rarely change my routine. I just focus on diet and add cardio if needed. Just be super strict on your intake/macros and really hit the weights heavy and you will see results my fiend.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep as a few above have said you should train in a cut as you do in a bulk (with the exception of maybe less volume I.e maybe cut some of the accessory work).

Add cardio/cut Cals and try to maintain your strength. It is depressing when your not getting stronger but you got to keep trying (that said at your age it’s probably likely you could get stronger while cutting).

Slapoyjoe

If you’re 16 you should not be cutting imo. Your body is still growing. Lift heavy and get plenty of steps, and protein.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do a basic program, full body: squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over barbell rows and standing overhead presses. Workout every other day. And switch the order of the exercises. One day start with bench, the next squats the next deads. Keep rep ranges between 5-8 reps. 20 mins cardio after your weight sessions.

Do 45 mins cardio every other day on your rest days.
Done.

Slapoyjoe

Do a basic program, full body: squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over barbell rows and standing overhead presses. Workout every other day. And switch the order of the exercises. One day start with bench, the next squats the next deads. Keep rep ranges between 5-8 reps. 20 mins cardio after your weight sessions.

Do 45 mins cardio every other day on your rest days.
Done.
This is great advice.

A lot of the younger guys are all into isolation curls and such, but the big improvements will come from the compound lifts.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you need diet help, feel free to ask. I’m a big fan of Keto but it’s not for everybody.

Country

Awards
Same i train heavy up to my shows its not training as much as diet

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Anything will work when you're 16, pick something that you'll have fun with and enjoy

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Agree with above post, stick with a desired training style and progress should be easy based on your age, as you get older though things become a little harder. I have been training for 14 years now and have to keep changing things through training and nutrition to keep making gains in adding more muscle mass and strength.