New School Thought on Bicep Growth

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m sure many of you have heard people with this new school thought on growing big biceps. What these people believe is that you can build large, muscular biceps by doing heavy compound lifts alone. They typically go on to claim that bicep isolation exercise is close to useless.

Does anyone here subscribe to this philosophy? Who here is against it?

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
Its not consistent with my experience. Intense contractions and high volume work for me. Plus once you become Old Thor you run the risk of tearing something.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"New school" in this case isn't based on physiology and is claiming something controversial simply to draw attention to wherever they are posting this. These ideas seem to come out of internet celebrities that need to get their youtube or blog views up.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You won't see anybody with a 500lb bench press that has small biceps

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Biceps are assist muscles for the back.
Bench press and bent over rows can thicken a bicep in a way that curls can't.
Concentration exercises are for pump and for shape.
Just my opinion.
But I know guys with huge arms that laugh when people talk about "arm day"
I think Dorian Yates said his best arm work was from compound pulling movements.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
True, but the claim that isolation movements are "close to useless" seems a bit over the top. If you get to the point that you're pushing or pulling a lot of weight, everything is going to increase in size. But also if somebody has poor technique and using their arms more than they should for a back exercise, then they're basically doing an arm isolation movement anyway.

btothefman

Awards
i might superset in hammer curls to bench press for 1 set on chest day but otherwise don't exercise them on their own, and my biceps are big.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i might superset in hammer curls to bench press for 1 set on chest day but otherwise don't exercise them on their own, and my biceps are big.
Is that how you've always done it though?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
True, but the claim that isolation movements are "close to useless" seems a bit over the top. If you get to the point that you're pushing or pulling a lot of weight, everything is going to increase in size. But also if somebody has poor technique and using their arms more than they should for a back exercise, then they're basically doing an arm isolation movement anyway.
Right.
I'm not subscribing to useless

btothefman

Awards
Is that how you've always done it though?
used to do isolation exercises years and years ago and they didn't really grow, now just stick with big compound lifts, dips and flys for chest and I don't have to worry about curls or extensions.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But you’ll often see people with amazing, big, peaked biceps who can’t even bench 400. If you want to build a specific muscle, the most logical course of action is to train it. Of course, don’t neglect compound lifts that build the whole body, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t directly work biceps if you want them to be as big as possible.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. When I’m doing Pullups I like to minimize arm involvement (thumbless grip, pulling from the elbows, etc), even doing weighted Pullups, as I find if helps me to focus on working my lats properly and fully. So that means my biceps aren’t getting sufficiently worked to grow maximally just by doing back, so I hit them with direct work. This way both my back and arms get worked directly and sufficiently.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I too believe that arm isolation should have its place in anyone’s routine if having well developed biceps is one of their goals. But I noticed my arms started growing a lot faster when I started focusing more on heavy pulling movements. You should do a mix anyway so that way you achieve aesthetic and strength goals. If you focus too much on arms and not enough on back then the day you have to help your friend move, or you decide you want to build a patio in the backyard or something, everyone will realize that you might have some pythons but in reality you have no functional strength.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But you’ll often see people with amazing, big, peaked biceps who can’t even bench 400. If you want to build a specific muscle, the most logical course of action is to train it. Of course, don’t neglect compound lifts that build the whole body, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t directly work biceps if you want them to be as big as possible.
True.
But they usually lack thickness in general.
Again.....you won't see anybody with a 500lb bench that has small arms.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I too believe that arm isolation should have its place in anyone’s routine if having well developed biceps is one of their goals. But I noticed my arms started growing a lot faster when I started focusing more on heavy pulling movements. You should do a mix anyway so that way you achieve aesthetic and strength goals. If you focus too much on arms and not enough on back then the day you have to help your friend move, or you decide you want to build a patio in the backyard or something, everyone will realize that you might have some pythons but in reality you have no functional strength.
Then we get into the realm of bodybuilders are weak and power lifters are fat.
I do biceps now only because I've got igf I'm playing with.
Once I peak for strength I won't do a single curl.
Ill still get plenty bicep work in pulling exercises.
Lot of us grew up watching Arnold shoot 50cal machine guns with one hand.
He had those big biceps and it stuck in our heads.
Bicep does not equal strength.
Its just a cool looking show off muscle

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength. It's all simply relative to what you're training for. If you're only interested in power lifting, then it might not help all that much, but people train for different reasons. I get what you're saying though; if all somebody does is curls, they're not going to be as well-rounded strength-wise as somebody who focuses on complex movements.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who cares if biceps aren't the most important muscles in regards to maximal strength? If you're a bodybuilder, or not a powerlifter, you may prioritize looking good and having visually appealing/big muscles over lifting a lot of weight or even having functional strength (most anyone who lifts seriously will be "functionally" strong enough for most day-to-day activities anyway). We all have our priorities; I can't tell you what's more important.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m a firm believer in doing heavy compound lifts as well as isolation movements (biceps for example).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m a firm believer in doing heavy compound lifts as well as isolation movements (biceps for example).
Crazy concept, right? Why can’t people do both? Why does it have to be one or the other?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength. It's all simply relative to what you're training for. If you're only interested in power lifting, then it might not help all that much, but people train for different reasons. I get what you're saying though; if all somebody does is curls, they're not going to be as well-rounded strength-wise as somebody who focuses on complex movements.
Its kind of semantics but your first two sentences aren't completely correct. Increase in muscle mass doesn't automatically equal an increase in strength, definitely strength potential but not inherently strength.

To add to the original discussion, I think about 85-90% compound work and 10-15% iso work is the best bet and generally how I train.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Its kind of semantics but your first two sentences aren't completely correct. Increase in muscle mass doesn't automatically equal an increase in strength, definitely strength potential but not inherently strength.

To add to the original discussion, I think about 85-90% compound work and 10-15% iso work is the best bet and generally how I train.
Outside of injecting oil or something else exogenous, what would be an example of increasing muscle size from exercise (the context of this thread being complex movements vs isolation exercises) without increasing strength?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, synthol is an example but I understand your point as thats really a completely different ballgame. There are countless examples of how a smaller muscle can be a stronger one based on a multitude of different factors including movement proficiency and the level of neural drive/motor unit recruitment in the subject. I am short on time right now so dont have time to look for a specific example, but say a guy did a hole **** pot full of volume with 20% of his e1rm with blood flow restricted training and got some hypertrophic stimulus out of it, that same training stimulus wont do a whole lot in the way of stimulating strength adaptation. However, once he provides the stimulus for strength adaptation with the new found muscle, he/she will be able to surpass the level of strength they otherwise would have. You're basically saying that progressive overload in most cases will lead to both hypertrophy and strength gains, each to different degrees based on a lot of things. But with that, yes, it's definitely true that increasing muscle cxa will have a direct relationship with increasing strength. I'm just trying to acknowledge that there are many other mechanisms at play for increasing strength than just the size of a muscle.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who cares if biceps aren't the most important muscles in regards to maximal strength? If you're a bodybuilder, or not a powerlifter, you may prioritize looking good and having visually appealing/big muscles over lifting a lot of weight or even having functional strength (most anyone who lifts seriously will be "functionally" strong enough for most day-to-day activities anyway). We all have our priorities; I can't tell you what's more important.
I do see the Aesthetics part.
Big biceps do look cool.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess it may also be because we have no way to test strength in just the bicep.
To much variation goes into the lift person to person.
Leverage and forearm length are all factors.
Do you fully extended do you contract to the absolute fullest.
Also people with massive biceps usually have figured out how to activate the muscle properly.
They usually have in depth understanding of their biceps needs to cause growth.
Which again varies wildly person to person.
But an example off the top of my head is Ben Pollack vs Ronnie Coleman.
Who do you think is stronger?
Again our mechanisms for gauging strength are limited
According to Rippetoe;
The guy who lifts 401 is stronger than the guy that lifts 400.
Even if the guy who lifts 401lb weighs 300lb and the guy who lifts 400lb weighs 200lb.:
So pro body builders, who have huge development of muscle throughout their whole bodies normally do not have lifts that pro power lifters have.
Even pro power lifters that are 50lbs lighter.
So I disagree that a bigger muscle ALWAYS equals a stronger muscle.
At some point the trickery and confusion used to cause that extra growth ends up with a bigger but weaker muscle.
That leads me back to the mind muscle connection.
Ronnie Coleman MUST have an intimate connection with his mind and his muscles.
I mean look at his back!!!
Again I'm a fan of big peaked biceps....but I don't think it comes with more strength always.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hitting the heads from all angles on the movement are key to the peak and girth of the biceps. How you use your wrist in the process of pulling and releasing the weight while holding contraction, as well how you supinate / pronate the angle of your wrist changes things. It's not using the heaviest weight, but progressively. Hitting the heads on your quads while seated by supinating or pronating your feet.

I would compare it to one's chest. Pyramids, reverse pyramids.
Muscle confusion applies to all of them.

Also, hitting some peak work with the high crossover cables with light weights and higher reps while concentrating on movement. You don't have to execute high sets to build the bicep. The triceps are a bit more resilient and can take more sets and weight to build.

Your body adapts quickly so you have to challenge it differently.
Isn't that why we de-load after HST? Generally speaking the philosophy of lifting forces the body to respond and grow.
Old school stuff. Nothing new, and it was pioneered with the likes of Arnold and those from his era.

Side note:
I was helping a gent the other day. It was the oddest conversation.
Then he looks at me and asks, "where did you get all those muscles"?
I told him... "Oh, at the gym down the street.". lol.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, synthol is an example but I understand your point as thats really a completely different ballgame. There are countless examples of how a smaller muscle can be a stronger one based on a multitude of different factors including movement proficiency and the level of neural drive/motor unit recruitment in the subject. I am short on time right now so dont have time to look for a specific example, but say a guy did a hole **** pot full of volume with 20% of his e1rm with blood flow restricted training and got some hypertrophic stimulus out of it, that same training stimulus wont do a whole lot in the way of stimulating strength adaptation. However, once he provides the stimulus for strength adaptation with the new found muscle, he/she will be able to surpass the level of strength they otherwise would have. You're basically saying that progressive overload in most cases will lead to both hypertrophy and strength gains, each to different degrees based on a lot of things. But with that, yes, it's definitely true that increasing muscle cxa will have a direct relationship with increasing strength. I'm just trying to acknowledge that there are many other mechanisms at play for increasing strength than just the size of a muscle.
We don't disagree, but you said the following statement by me wasn't true: "Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength." I'm not saying you can't get stronger without getting bigger. I'm simply asking for an example where you can increase a muscle size through exercise and not gain strength.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We don't disagree, but you said the following statement by me wasn't true: "Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength." I'm not saying you can't get stronger without getting bigger. I'm simply asking for an example where you can increase a muscle size through exercise and not gain strength.
You can increase your bicep size and it may not increase your bench press, but it is increasing your bicep strength haha. Also, of course someone with smaller muscles may be stronger than someone with bigger muscles, but I assume you’re talking about a bigger muscle being stronger relative to itself, not go another person. I think people here may have different definitions that are causing some confusion.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can increase your bicep size and it may not increase your bench press, but it is increasing your bicep strength haha. Also, of course someone with smaller muscles may be stronger than someone with bigger muscles, but I assume you’re talking about a bigger muscle being stronger relative to itself, not go another person. I think people here may have different definitions that are causing some confusion.
I'm talking about basic physiology. If you increase the size of a specific muscle through exercise, that correlates with an increase in strength. Why would you use bench press as a measure of bicep strength? That's just ****ty experimental design. And again, I said increased size equals increased strength, not the other way around.

I'm talking about measurements like this https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=00005768-200007000-00019 not some bro looking in a mirror and seeing if his bench max went up.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm talking about basic physiology. If you increase the size of a specific muscle through exercise, that correlates with an increase in strength. Why would you use bench press as a measure of bicep strength? That's just ****ty experimental design. And again, I said increased size equals increased strength, not the other way around.

I'm talking about measurements like this https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=00005768-200007000-00019 not some bro looking in a mirror and seeing if his bench max went up.
I’m pretty much agreeing with you haha.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I’m sure many of you have heard people with this new school thought on growing big biceps. What these people believe is that you can build large, muscular biceps by doing heavy compound lifts alone. They typically go on to claim that bicep isolation exercise is close to useless.

Does anyone here subscribe to this philosophy? Who here is against it?
I actually agree here. Ever see how nfl lineman have huge arms or a strongman competitors? I guarantee that they both rarely do isolated bicep work.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crazy concept, right? Why can’t people do both? Why does it have to be one or the other?
Exactly powerbuilding is the way to go imo. Start the workout like a Olympic/power lifter and finish like a bodybuilder. Frankly i notice more strength gains this way than powerlifting alone. I also notice more size this way than bodybuilding alone.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I actually agree here. Ever see how nfl lineman have huge arms or a strongman competitors? I guarantee that they both rarely do isolated bicep work.
It depends on what you mean by “big.” I do believe that direct bicep work from various angles and motions will result in better developed biceps with better shape. There’s a clear difference between an NFL lineman’s biceps, even if they cut down, and a bodybuilders biceps, even if they lift the same amount.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It depends on what you mean by “big.” I do believe that direct bicep work from various angles and motions will result in better developed biceps with better shape. There’s a clear difference between an NFL lineman’s biceps, even if they cut down, and a bodybuilders biceps, even if they lift the same amount.
For sure

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I misunderstood/misinterpreted what your post was stating. We're on the same page, if the same person increases the cxa of the same muscle on his/her body it will be stronger just on the basis of the progressive overload that stimulated the muscle growth in the first place. As you said, synthol and the like excluded. I assumed you meant interpersonal too, which was a mistake on my part.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I misunderstood/misinterpreted what your post was stating. We're on the same page, if the same person increases the cxa of the same muscle on his/her body it will be stronger just on the basis of the progressive overload that stimulated the muscle growth in the first place. As you said, synthol and the like excluded. I assumed you meant interpersonal too, which was a mistake on my part.
Nope, we're all good! I think some others are talking about how curls may or may not transfer into increased bench, deadlift, etc. where I'm only talking about measurements in size and strength specifically at the level of the bicep.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
New school thought?.. heavy compound lifts, chest dips, pull ups, and chin ups.. this is not a new thing.. lolol

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
If your arms are lagging behind by the time you're benching 300lb then they'll also be lagging behind when you bench 500lb if that's all you ever do. Bring them up with isolation work. Ofcourse nobody with a 500lb bench is going to have small arms but in relation to their chest measurement you will certainly see far less aesthetic 500lb benchers than others.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your arms are lagging behind by the time you're benching 300lb then they'll also be lagging behind when you bench 500lb if that's all you ever do. Bring them up with isolation work. Ofcourse nobody with a 500lb bench is going to have small arms but in relation to their chest measurement you will certainly see far less aesthetic 500lb benchers than others.
Exactly. You won’t have “small” arms benching 500, but you may not have arms nearly to their potential, or in proportion with your chest/back/etc. I don’t know why so many people think it has to be one or the other; you can lift heavy and do some isolation work.

pro45

Awards
Do cross body db hammer curls, then do whatever else. Negative chins with a reverse close gip will also work wonders...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do cross body db hammer curls, then do whatever else. Negative chins with a reverse close gip will also work wonders...
I do think you also want to incorporate at least some direct bicep work that involves supination, as that’s also a function of the biceps and when the peak is most visible.