AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I have a scheduled deload coming this week. I haven't had a deload week since the beginning of November/late October. My lifts have not decreased, naturally. What I mean is my major lifts have gone down about 5 pounds, but I am just getting completely done, about 7 weeks removed from a cycle. I am thinking that is why I have lost a little strength since I am about 5 pounds less than the end of the cycle. All other lifts are slowly progressing or staying the same.

I was definitely going to take a deload week, but I forgot that 8 weeks ago I had to take a half week off from the gym because I had, was diagnosed in the hospital, with the flu. I went to the gym up to the day I was hospitalized because it did not hit me until that night. I was then in the hospital for two days, went home, went to the gym the next day, and then was in bed rest for three days. Going to the gym then was dumb and it took every bit of energy I gained out of me. So I did take a half week off, but I was sick with the flu.

My question is, should I count that half week off as a deload or no because my body was recovery form being sick? If that does not count as a deload, should I take it this coming week?

Here is the other option, I am going to cycle again in 5 weeks. I am thinking this might be a better route:

Follow my program (a hybrid of 5/3/1 - PPL) for the next three weeks, take a deload week. Then begin the cycle. This will assure I have deload prior to my cycle and can hit it hard during the cycle. I think I am leaning more towards this because lifts are still good, I feel good, and the timing would make sense for the upcoming cycle. Thoughts?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldnt count that as a deload week. The purpose of a deload is to recover from the fatigue accumulation that you built up over the course of a training cycle. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that probably didnt happen while you were battling what seems to be a fairly significant illness.

With that being said...since you are planning on a cycle in 5 weeks, I would probably reduce volume a little this week (not as much as you normally would on a standard deload, but maybe a set or two on accessory work) and then resume normal training next week, then take a full fledged deload 50% or less volume and nothing over an intensity of 80% 1rm that week before your cycle. Either that or you could just train normally up until that week out and then take the full fledged deload. Its really up to you based on how you feel subjectively. Maybe slightly tatigued, run-down, maybe a little loss of interest in the gym = mini deload. "Normal" = continue training.