Most underrated (and untrained) muscles?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As the titles says what do you guys think?

Personally I think neck and forearms are the most neglected and underrated muscles.

The last 2 weeks I have been training my neck 3 times a week (weighted flexion/extension, left/right rotation with a band) and every day at work using hand grips 200 reps (4x50) plus a bit of equipment that allows me to curl and flex the wrist . (office job)

I am starting to notice my posture is improving and that my shoulders and tennis elbow arent hurting anymore.

I also know the serratus anterior is often neglected and not properly trained, what are your areas and how do you add exercises into your daily or workout routine to fix them?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Calfs.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lower Trap

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glute Medius

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glute Medius
Yep agree, my physio when I saw one said mine were a bit underdeveloped compared to everything else , she suggested clams and some other band exercises involving lying on your side and raises the leg up like those pilates videos and also on your stomach doing the same... does that sound about right?

Also had exercises for my lower trap/rhomboids;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vxa2f6MTc4

That helped me alot.

I know calves get neglected a lot, but do you think it plays a major part in negatively effecting the body?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep agree, my physio when I saw one said mine were a bit underdeveloped compared to everything else , she suggested clams and some other band exercises involving lying on your side and raises the leg up like those pilates videos and also on your stomach doing the same... does that sound about right?

Also had exercises for my lower trap/rhomboids;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vxa2f6MTc4

That helped me alot.

I know calves get neglected a lot, but do you think it plays a major part in negatively effecting the body?
For the calves yes. Just as often as we don’t strengthen them we don’t take the time to stretch them either. This throws off our biomechanics and can begin a complete chain of issues up the knee and hip.

pro45

Awards
Rear delts and hamstrings. Hamstrings should get twice the work as the quads.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For your average gym goer that’s isn’t focused on bodybuilding or athletic pursuits the entire posterior chain is generally underdeveloped. Same goes for the bro’s who only train what the can see.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Training the core is key and often overlooked but it's boring AF.

My former partner in Chicago trains Muay Thai Kick Boxers, and they start with the core for strength and balance. This helps prevent injury and gives you a strong base to build from. His guys grow big muscles.

You're often doing it with light warm up sets concentrating on your breathing and form.
Which brings me to another overlooked which isn't a muscle but... Breathing. Exhale on Exertion, Inhale on Relaxation, and don't stress your face muscles. It makes a big difference, as opposed to holding your breath, or reversing the two.

The things we forget we should be doing, or are doing but take for granted.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
For your average gym goer that’s isn’t focused on bodybuilding or athletic pursuits the entire posterior chain is generally underdeveloped. Same goes for the bro’s who only train what the can see.
Yeah definitely...there are so many chest and arm only guys...maybe they’ll do a couple lay pull downs but I agree with this 100%

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Forearms, grip strength is important and even if your wearing a t-shirt they stick out so everyone can see them. As a seccond is say traps

Thrudvangr

Thrudvangr

Awards
Calves, glutes, lats (how often do you see someone with thick lats)....