What are your thoughts ? Program for Competively Surfer

Tboy47

Awards
So guys here’s the deal I used to be a power lifter two years ago and I weighed 220 I quit lifting so I could pursue surfing more competively etc and now I weigh 162 and am around 10 % body fat

I’ve been eating in calorie deficit since November and feel so good this is the thinnest I have ever been I’ve had other periods of calorie deficits in the last two years also but have not lifted at all since I quit two years ago but I also have high demand job breaking down pallets at night for Trader Joe’s

Basically I want to lose more fat but am worried if I start lifting again that I will not surf as much and start worrying about bodybuilding again and I don’t want lifting to get in the way of my surf performance either but also would love to get down to 7-8% body fat not sure if I could do this just surfing and eating at a calorie deficit without losing muscle also ya know ?

What should I do guys this dilemma has been in my head for a year ?

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dude just lift heavy 1-2 times a week. 30 min session. It will greatly help your surfing. You won’t bulk if you keep your food clean.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Also make sure you’re doing explosive and slow tempo. This will help both fast/slow twitch fibers wich will help with surfing. Also, band and balance movements. So like single leg stuff would be awesome

Tboy47

Awards
I’m not worried about bulking because I eat very very very clean however worried I might start obsess about lifting again and / or it will make me sore where I can’t surf as well

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Here's the problem flexibility.

With surfing flexibility it critical and having long lean durable muscles is most important/ideal. I surf as a hobby and personally heavy bodybuilding style routines did impact my ability to surf. Just having denser/bigger muscle prohibits certain range of motions and to an extent inhibits general flexibility.

If these are both hobbies I wouldn't stress about the lifting and do whatever you want. If your serious about both I would try to find a surfing training program and just modify to include to make sure the core lifts are included (squats, dead lifts, bench etc.). I would recommend keeping the exercises explosive and more speed oriented. I would also probably keep the sets with reps of 8 or higher.

Tricky situation I wish you the best of luck.

Tboy47

Awards
I surf competively not just a hobby

My hobby is getting as low body fat % as I can which I don’t think I can get lower then I am now without lifting but lifting will get in the way of my surfing (size/time/sore etc)

Like I said I used to power lift and I haven’t lifted since I stopped that which was in the beginning of 2016 but most of my friends think I look jacked Hahahaha surfing is a good workout (;

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So guys here’s the deal I used to be a power lifter two years ago and I weighed 220 I quit lifting so I could pursue surfing more competively etc and now I weigh 162 and am around 10 % body fat

I’ve been eating in calorie deficit since November and feel so good this is the thinnest I have ever been I’ve had other periods of calorie deficits in the last two years also but have not lifted at all since I quit two years ago but I also have high demand job breaking down pallets at night for Trader Joe’s

Basically I want to lose more fat but am worried if I start lifting again that I will not surf as much and start worrying about bodybuilding again and I don’t want lifting to get in the way of my surf performance either but also would love to get down to 7-8% body fat not sure if I could do this just surfing and eating at a calorie deficit without losing muscle also ya know ?

What should I do guys this dilemma has been in my head for a year ?
Do what you want . Youve already been at 220 lbs, what bodyfat % were you then?

10 % is lean . If you want to gain some muscle you know youll have to lift. Maybe focus on on certain musclegroup more than others. example still train the whole body, but on your genetically good body parts just train them regular and on your genetically not as gifted areas put more intensity into those.

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
I surf competively not just a hobby

My hobby is getting as low body fat % as I can which I don’t think I can get lower then I am now without lifting but lifting will get in the way of my surfing (size/time/sore etc)

Like I said I used to power lift and I haven’t lifted since I stopped that which was in the beginning of 2016 but most of my friends think I look jacked Hahahaha surfing is a good workout (;
If you surf competitively then your training should be focused on that sport. Once again if you enjoy a bodybuilding style workout just try to incorporate some of the core lifts. My suggestion would be to focus on your diet if your goal is to simply lower your body fat and put on lean muscle. You just need to prioritize your goals; being lean versus training to improve surfing. Also I wouldn't worry but your body fat % if your surfing competitively and training as you are probably in a caloric deficit.