Less is more VS More is better

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards

On the one hand, we got guys who'd say "Recovery and rest are vital. Stimulate, don't annihilate."

And then there's people like me and John Broz who adhere to squatting everyday.

What is your opinion on the matter? And why do you believe what you believe?

Thanks.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Less is more.

My reasoning? Less sides, more "you doing the work"

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established

On the one hand, we got guys who'd say "Recovery and rest are vital. Stimulate, don't annihilate."

And then there's people like me and John Broz who adhere to squatting everyday.

What is your opinion on the matter? And why do you believe what you believe?

Thanks.
Oh. Well pertaining to working out? I am a believer in overtraining.

Rest is where your building muscle. In your bed asleep is where your building muscle. Not the gym!

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Just right is best. Train for optimal progress that's why.

Ase_james

Awards
I believe in resting each group for a couple days between lift and taking a 2-3 day break every couple weeks.
Why? I notice more change in my body that way. When im in the gym pushing to failure every day, i feel strong and all that, but dont get any results as far as size and weight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Who knows. Comes down to goals, natty vs gear, lifestyle, rest capabilities, experience, etc.

Usually I find that volume increases capacity but not size or strength. Gear users will often attest to their ability to recover quicker and build upon more volume and frequency.

But just today on T Nation I read an article that suggested new lifters should stick with the once a week methodology per body part, while experienced lifters should train 2-4 times per week that same part because recovery/growth is done after only 16 hours.

at the end of the day I think genetics, goals, and lifestyle play a role and only you can determine what's giving you the best results.

I have seen progress in my arms (most stubborn to grow) at times from less frequency, but also at times from lots of frequency. perhaps mixing it up occasionally is key, for me.

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Who knows. Comes down to goals, natty vs gear, lifestyle, rest capabilities, experience, etc.

Usually I find that volume increases capacity but not size or strength. Gear users will often attest to their ability to recover quicker and build upon more volume and frequency.

But just today on T Nation I read an article that suggested new lifters should stick with the once a week methodology per body part, while experienced lifters should train 2-4 times per week that same part because recovery/growth is done after only 16 hours.

at the end of the day I think genetics, goals, and lifestyle play a role and only you can determine what's giving you the best results.

I have seen progress in my arms (most stubborn to grow) at times from less frequency, but also at times from lots of frequency. perhaps mixing it up occasionally is key, for me.
This is a good answer...

I agree with you when you said that "it depends".

You know who Ed Coan is, right? I watched a youtube video of him and Mark Bell about powerlifting training. Coan mentioned that when it comes to training, three elements must work in harmony together. These are intensity, frequency, and volume. He said that in order to progress, two of those should be high, but NOT all three. If all three are high, you'll disintegrate. But with two of them being high and one being low, you'll progress well.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is a good answer...

I agree with you when you said that "it depends".

You know who Ed Coan is, right? I watched a youtube video of him and Mark Bell about powerlifting training. Coan mentioned that when it comes to training, three elements must work in harmony together. These are intensity, frequency, and volume. He said that in order to progress, two of those should be high, but NOT all three. If all three are high, you'll disintegrate. But with two of them being high and one being low, you'll progress well.
I am a really big Mark Bell fan, I think he's a cool guy and I love his videos. Even have some of the shoes he co-designed. He is a gear user though and that would have an effect on things. Rich Piana (RIP) used to very openly remind lifters that if you are natty, you simply cannot do the same frequency.

so yeah, I still have to stick with the "it depends" approach....

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Less is more. Why? Because I'm an old fugger and need my rest days (even with gear).

Tried the "daily mayhem" approach, did not work at all.

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Less is more. Why? Because I'm an old fugger and need my rest days (even with gear).

Tried the "daily mayhem" approach, did not work at all.
What exactly did you try that didn't work? Which training program specifically? Or is it something you created yourself?

I agree with you in a way. When training becomes too much, it makes you produce tons of cortisol, which is very bad for overall health. I know this not just by Google, but by experience as well. Training should be relatively fun and exciting. I reached a point where training became a sort of liability, an additional stressor that contributed to my psychotic breakdown. No joke. lol

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What exactly did you try that didn't work? Which training program specifically? Or is it something you created yourself?

I agree with you in a way. When training becomes too much, it makes you produce tons of cortisol, which is very bad for overall health. I know this not just by Google, but by experience as well. Training should be relatively fun and exciting. I reached a point where training became a sort of liability, an additional stressor that contributed to my psychotic breakdown. No joke. lol
I don't use any particular method. I prefer high volume, moderate weights and full body workouts, instead of splits. When training 4-5 times a week, I noted I had at least one "sh1tty workout" per week, sometimes two. You know, those days when the 50lbs DB's weight 100lbs. After 1,5 years I didn't noticed any progress anymore. Now, going 3 days a week, every workout is good. I may go 4 times, doing auxiliary exercises, like lower traps and rotator cuffs.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’ve been on the 5 day bro split for years now with mixing it up with 5x5, GVT and DC. Recently I changed to a push/pull routine and I’m seeing great gains strength wise. I’m going to stay on this until I see less results then start from scratch and see where I lack and how to move forward

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its interesting

I've always done 4 day split

After 10-14 years of training, as I don't eat to gain I actually notice when I take a week or 2 off I come back stronger and leaner.
It's really odd

My quads can take 2-3 days to recover, or longer from DOMS.

I do huge volume, bur the most growth I had was when I stuck to 8-10 rep range and 12 sets total chest or back, 6 sets on biceps etc

Not joking, I can do 15 sets these days on my biceps but I see no progress.

I was always told as you get bigger, your muscles need more recovery.

How much stimulating does your muscle need, before you're over training?

I was thinking of mixing it up, maybe a week of 3 sessions full body or push/pull.

Just always stuck to what I know, I maintain easily and I'm pretty lean at 96kg natty.

Ase_james

Awards
Its a very individual thing. My body does best with push pull, every body part once a week and legs 1 or 2 times. But id never do 12 sets of any lift, even enhanced. Most i do is 3 heavy and 3 light sets and im done, on to the next exercise.

From what i understand and have experienced, a lot of volume is better for people on gear. Our bodies naturally dont grow much under too much stress.

A painter swings his arm and shoulders hundreds of times a day, and never gets huge.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its interesting

I've always done 4 day split

After 10-14 years of training, as I don't eat to gain I actually notice when I take a week or 2 off I come back stronger and leaner.
It's really odd

My quads can take 2-3 days to recover, or longer from DOMS.

I do huge volume, bur the most growth I had was when I stuck to 8-10 rep range and 12 sets total chest or back, 6 sets on biceps etc

Not joking, I can do 15 sets these days on my biceps but I see no progress.

I was always told as you get bigger, your muscles need more recovery.

How much stimulating does your muscle need, before you're over training?

I was thinking of mixing it up, maybe a week of 3 sessions full body or push/pull.

Just always stuck to what I know, I maintain easily and I'm pretty lean at 96kg natty.
It’s always smart to change it up. Try something you have never done. Focus on perfect technique, rest pause, negatives...etc. worst thing that can happen is you don’t like it and go back to what you enjoy the most.