HIIT: The optimal protocol for fat loss?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
It being close to cutting season and all I thought I'd start it of with an article about my favorite cardio style: HIIT :D

<B>HIGH-INTENSITY  INTERVAL TRAINING:
THE  OPTIMAL PROTOCOL FOR FAT LOSS?</B>
James Krieger

As exercise intensity increases, the proportion of fat  utilized as an energy substrate decreases, while the  proportion of carbohydrates utilized increases (5). The  rate of fatty acid mobilization from adipose tissue also  declines with increasing exercise intensity (5). This had  led to the common recommendation that low- to moderate-intensity,  long duration endurance exercise is the most beneficial  for fat loss (15). However, this belief does not take  into consideration what happens during the post-exercise  recovery period; total daily energy expenditure is more  important for fat loss than the predominant fuel utilized  during exercise (5). This is supported by research  showing no significant difference in body fat loss  between high-intensity and low-intensity submaximal,  continuous exercise when total energy expenditure per  exercise session is equated (2,7,9). Research by Hickson  et al (11) further supports the notion that the  predominant fuel substrate used during exercise does not  play a role in fat loss; rats engaged in a high-intensity  sprint training protocol achieved significant reductions  in body fat, despite the fact that sprint training relies  almost completely on carbohydrates as a fuel source. Some research suggests that high-intensity exercise is  more beneficial for fat loss than low- and moderate-intensity  exercise (3,18,23,24). Pacheco-Sanchez et al (18) found a  more pronounced fat loss in rats that exercised at a high  intensity as compared to rats that exercised at a low  intensity, despite both groups performing an equivalent  amount of work. Bryner et al (3) found a significant loss  in body fat in a group that exercised at a high intensity  of 80-90% of maximum heart rate, while no significant  change in body fat was found in the lower intensity group  which exercised at 60-70% of maximum heart rate; no  significant difference in total work existed between  groups. An epidemiological study (24) found that  individuals who regularly engaged in high-intensity  exercise had lower skinfold thicknesses and waist-to-hip  ratios (WHRs) than individuals who participated in  exercise of lower intensities. After a covariance  analysis was performed to remove the effect of total  energy expenditure on skinfolds and WHRs, a significant  difference remained between people who performed high-intensity  exercise and people who performed lower-intensity  exercise. Tremblay et al (23) performed the most notable study  which demonstrates that high-intensity exercise,  specifically intermittent, supramaximal exercise, is the  most optimal for fat loss. Subjects engaged in either an  endurance training (ET) program for 20 weeks or a high-intensity  intermittent-training (HIIT) program for 15 weeks. The  mean estimated energy cost of the ET protocol was 120.4  MJ, while the mean estimated energy cost of the HIIT  protocol was 57.9 MJ. The decrease in six subcutaneous  skinfolds tended to be greater in the HIIT group than the  ET group, despite the dramatically lower energy cost of  training. When expressed on a per MJ basis, the HIIT  group's reduction in skinfolds was nine times greater  than the ET group. A number of explanations exist for the greater amounts  of fat loss achieved by HIIT. First, a large body of  evidence shows that high-intensity protocols, notably  intermittent protocols, result in significantly greater  post-exercise energy expenditure and fat utilization than  low- or moderate-intensity protocols (1,4,8,14,19,21,25).  Other research has found significantly elevated blood  free-fatty-acid (FFA) concentrations or increased  utilization of fat during recovery from resistance  training (which is a form of HIIT) (16,17). Rasmussen et  al (20) found higher exercise intensity resulted in  greater acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC) inactivation, which  would result in greater FFA oxidation after exercise  since ACC is an inhibitor of FFA oxidation. Tremblay et  al (23) found HIIT to significantly increase muscle 3-hydroxyacyl  coenzyme A dehydrogenase activity (a marker of the  activity of b oxidation) over  ET. Finally, a number of studies have found high-intensity  exercise to suppress appetite more than lower intensities  (6,12,13,22) and reduce saturated fat intake (3). Overall, the evidence suggests that HIIT is the most  efficient method for achieving fat loss. However, HIIT  carries a greater risk of injury and is physically and  psychologically demanding (10), making low- and moderate-intensity,  continuous exercise the best choice for individuals that  are unmotivated or contraindicated for high-intensity  exercise.

1. <B>Bahr, R., and O.M. Sejersted.</B> Effect of  intensity of exercise on excess postexercise O<SUB>2 </SUB>consumption. <I>Metabolism.</I> 40:836-841, 1991.

2. <B>Ballor, D.L., J.P. McCarthy, and E.J. Wilterdink.</B> Exercise intensity does not affect the composition of  diet- and exercise-induced body mass loss. <I>Am. J. Clin.  Nutr.</I> 51:142-146, 1990.

3. <B>Bryner, R.W., R.C. Toffle, I.H. Ullrish, and R.A.  Yeater.</B> The effects of exercise intensity on body  composition, weight loss, and dietary composition in  women. <I>J. Am. Col. Nutr.</I> 16:68-73, 1997. 

4. <B>Burleson, Jr, M.A., H.S. O'Bryant, M.H. Stone, M.A.  Collins, and T. Triplett-McBride.</B> Effect of weight  training exercise and treadmill exercise on post-exercise  oxygen consumption. <I>Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. </I>30:518-522,  1998.  5. <B>Coyle, E.H.</B> Fat Metabolism During Exercise.  [Online] Gatorade Sports Science Institute. http://www.gssiweb.com/references/s0000000200000015/s0000000200000016/d000000020000006d.html  [1999, Mar 25]

6. <B>Dickson-Parnell, B.E., and A. Zeichner.</B> Effects of a short-term exercise program on caloric  consumption. <I>Health Psychol.</I> 4:437-448, 1985.

7. <B>Gaesser, G.A., and R.G. Rich.</B> Effects of  high- and low-intensity exercise training on aerobic  capacity and blood lipids. <I>Med. Sci. Sports Exerc.</I> 16:269-274, 1984.

8. <B>Gillette, C.A., R.C. Bullough, and C.L. Melby.</B> Postexercise energy expenditure in response to acute  aerobic or resistive exercise. <I>Int. J. Sports Nutr.</I> 4:347-360, 1994.

9. <B>Grediagin, M.A., M. Cody, J. Rupp, D. Benardot,  and R. Shern.</B> Exercise intensity does not effect body  composition change in untrained, moderately overfat women. <I>J. Am. Diet Assoc.</I> 95:661-665, 1995. 

10. <B>Grubbs, L.</B> The critical role of exercise in  weight control. <I>Nurse Pract.</I> 18(4):20,22,25-26,29,  1993.

11. <B>Hickson, R.C., W.W. Heusner, W.D. Van Huss, D.E.  Jackson, D.A. Anderson, D.A. Jones, and A.T. Psaledas.</B> Effects of Dianabol and high-intensity sprint training on  body composition of rats. <I>Med. Sci. Sports.</I> 8:191-195,  1976.

12. <B>Imbeault, P., S. Saint-Pierre, N. Alméras, and  A. Tremblay.</B> Acute effects of exercise on energy  intake and feeding behaviour. <I>Br. J. Nutr.</I> 77:511-521,  1997.

13. <B>Katch, F.I., R. Martin, and J. Martin.</B> Effects of exercise intensity on food consumption in the  male rat. <I>Am J. Clin. Nutr.</I> 32:1401-1407, 1979.

14. <B>Laforgia, J. R.T. Withers, N.J. Shipp, and C.J.  Gore. </B>Comparison of energy expenditure elevations  after submaximal and supramaximal running. <I>J. Appl.  Physiol.</I> 82:661-666, 1997.

15. <B>Mahler, D.A., V.F. Froelicher, N.H. Miller, and  T.D. York.</B><I> ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing  and Prescription</I>, edited by W.L. Kenney, R.H.  Humphrey, and C.X. Bryant. Media, PA: Williams and  Wilkins, 1995, chapt. 10, p. 218-219.

16. <B>McMillan, J.L., M.H. Stone, J. Sartin, R. Keith,  D. Marple, Lt. C. Brown, and R.D. Lewis.</B> 20-hour  physiological responses to a single weight-training  session<I>. J. Strength Cond. Res.</I> 7(3):9-21, 1993.

17. <B>Melby, C., C. Scholl, G. Edwards, and R.  Bullough.</B> Effect of acute resistance exercise on  postexercise energy expenditure and resting metabolic  rate. <I>J. Appl. Physiol.</I> 75:1847-1853, 1993.

18. <B>Pacheco-Sanchez, M., and K.K Grunewald.</B> Body fat deposition: effects of dietary fat and two  exercise protocols. <I>J. Am. Col. Nutr. </I>13:601-607,  1994.

19. <B>Phelain, J.F., E. Reinke, M.A. Harris, and C.L.  Melby.</B> Postexercise energy expenditure and substrate  oxidation in young women resulting from exercise bouts of  different intensity<I>. J. Am. Col. Nutr.</I> 16:140-146,  1997.

20. <B>Rasmussen, B.B., and W.W. Winder.</B> Effect of  exercise intensity on skeletal muscle malonyl-CoA and  acetyl-CoA carboxylase. <I>J. Appl. Physiol.</I> 83:1104-1109,  1997.

21. <B>Smith, J., and L. McNaughton.</B> The effects  of intensity of exercise on excess postexercise oxygen  consumption and energy expenditure in moderately trained  men and women. <I>Eur. J. Appl. Physiol.</I> 67:420-425,  1993.

22. <B>Thompson, D.A., L.A. Wolfe, and R. Eikelboom.</B> Acute effects of exercise intensity on appetite in young  men. <I>Med. Sci. Sports Exerc.</I> 20:222-227, 1988.

23. <B>Tremblay, A., J. Simoneau, and C. Bouchard.</B> Impact of exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal  muscle metabolism. <I>Metabolism.</I> 43:814-818, 1994.

24. <B>Tremblay, A., J. Després, C. Leblanc, C.L.  Craig, B. Ferris, T. Stephens, and C. Bouchard.</B> Effect of intensity of physical activity on body fatness  and fat distribution. <I>Am J. Clin. Nutr.</I> 51:153-157,  1990.

25. <B>Treuth, M.S., G.R. Hunter, and M. Williams.</B> Effects of exercise intensity on 24-h energy expenditure  and substrate oxidation. <I>Med. Sci. Sports Exerc.</I> 28:1138-1143, 1996.

Dr of Golf

Awards
Interesting reading. Thanks for sharing, LG.

crazypete

Awards
excellent, scientific vindication for those who hypothesised about this before research was available and their disciples (LG and myself among others). if you are doing cardio at low intensity (ie walking on a treadmill - hey wait a minute, that doesn't count) you are probably wasting your time.

go hard or go home, cheers, pete