Most successful program you've used?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tend to do high volume these days, but lately I'm considering switching it up every fortnight.

Push/Pull
LAYNE Norton PHATT
Full body
Upper/Lower

I know there is quite a few decent programs, just looking for recommendations.

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Smolov for squats. Put 75lbs on my squat in 12 weeks.

B4Hand

Awards
Starting Strength is great for gaining strength and size. It's​ a simple program built around the main bb lifts (squats, deads, bench, press).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
PHAT or a slight modification from 5 to 6 days is what I run and have for the last couple years now. Have a template i designed and have given to quite a few guys around here as well and all of them that ran it have had stellar results as well.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
For strength purposes my best gains have been made using a WestSide/Conjugate style training.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Mountain Dog
PH3

Really depends on your time schedule honestly

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anything I was able to get my head into and enjoy, produced. I do think that is a pretty big, if not THE key to many routines magic.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mountain Dog
PH3

Really depends on your time schedule honestly
Yeah, I generally can train 5 days. Weekends I work 12 hour shifts, and training into difficult other than some abs at home.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Living Large - Jay Cuttler

A) Back
B) Chest
C) Legs
D) Arms
E) Shoulders / Traps

xoxo

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been using a powerbuilding program called variable split system for the last 20 plus years. Shawn Phillips designed it and I believe he just started to build custom programs for the masses again.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PHAT has been pretty solid for me. Modified it a bit to work for me and I love it

DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
PHAT or a slight modification from 5 to 6 days is what I run and have for the last couple years now. Have a template i designed and have given to quite a few guys around here as well and all of them that ran it have had stellar results as well.
Interested in this template I'm running phat and love it

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Interested in this template I'm running phat and love it
Yeah I'd like to compare it to mine. Always open to new suggestions.
Shoot me your emails and I'll send it over. I have both a 5 and 6-day version.

If you guys have yours electronically I'd love to see them as well.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Smolov for squats. Put 75lbs on my squat in 12 weeks.
Second that, great routine but been through it 4 times now and subsequent runs were far less productive. Brilliant program for anyone who has not run it before.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know I'm new and no reason to listen to me. But i find if I start at a warm up weight of 75% max x 25 reps, 60% max x 18 reps, 15 x 50% max, 8 x 10% max, and 75% max x 25 reps works great for me

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Can confirm. I actually modified boone's modification lol, but it's an awesome starting point.

Mine is a PPL alternating strength and hypertrophy days, 5 days a week. Example:

WEEK1
Day1: PUSH strength
Day 2: PULL hypertrophy
Day 3: LEGS strength
Day 4: PUSH hypertrophy
Day 5: PULL strength

WEEK2
Day 1: LEGS hypertrophy
Day 2: PUSH strength
Day 3: PULL hypertrophy
Day 4: LEGS strength
Day 5: PUSH hypertrophy

etc.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can confirm. I actually modified boone's modification lol, but it's an awesome starting point.
Most people have tweaked it a bit. It was designed for me specifically so I would hope people would unless they're my twin ha

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Um...well been using it primarily for a year and went from about 185 and 18% bf down to 170 sub 5 and competed and now sitting about 220 and 12ish%

Obviously paired with proper nutrition, cardio and supplements but have LOVED this training when followed to a T

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Ah ok Dogg Crapp is a training program. Think DemntedCowboy may have seen it as a derogatory response to his post or atleast that's what I initially thought having never heard of dogg crapp

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Um...well been using it primarily for a year and went from about 185 and 18% bf down to 170 sub 5 and competed and now sitting about 220 and 12ish%

Obviously paired with proper nutrition, cardio and supplements but have LOVED this training when followed to a T
Ok, yes. I miss understood what you where saying originally. I'll have to look into that one.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Got pm's from a few of you guys. Haven't had a Chance to get to my computer this weekend so I'll send the templates along tomorrow morning. Woody DUbz86

Brownrg8

Brownrg8

Awards
Got pm's from a few of you guys. Haven't had a Chance to get to my computer this weekend so I'll send the templates along tomorrow morning. Woody DUbz86
You think I could send you my e-mail as well? I just hit some solid maxes at a comp today so I have fresh numbers to work with and am really looking for a solid program to follow.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I used a program by Mike O'hearn that was very good: Power Bodybuilding

pro45

Awards
HIT
DOGCRAP
Gironda's 8x8
My own 4-day per week routine. Low to moderate reps, keeping weights as heavy as possible to preserve muscle.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
God damm, this will keep me busy! I might try a different program each week. I've been training 10 years, so it'll probably shock my body.

Keep em coming, I'll have to see what fits!

Good reports on FST-7 too.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I've been using 5/3/1 with Boring But Big template. It's helped me get past a stall in weights I have had for a while and it is simple so I am currently in love with that. On my 3rd cycle of it now. Logging in the Anti Aging section.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I'm also very interested in the 531 after seeing so many say positive things about it. Currently trying to get the belly fat but after that I want strength more than size

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
I have been running the booneman77 PHAT. Modified for me of course and I can honestly say it's the best program I've used for both size and strength.

JAMES1980

JAMES1980

Awards
I gained most of my size during Dorian Yates High Intensity Training . Switching to moderate volume push/pull/legs training. HIT is too taxing for me at this stage of life. Family obligation, job and everything.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I don't follow a specific program per se, I take bits and pieces and ideas that I like or do out of necessity. If time wasn't an issue I would do a P, P, day off, L, day off and repeat type of cycle. I do 5 days a week currently. Power leg day Monday, Chest and some tris Tuesday, Back Wednesday, more of a hypertrophy/hamstring exercise oriented Thursday, and shoulders, chest and tris Friday. I tend to use ideas I like and apply them to my specific needs.

cswift06

Awards
Could I also take a look at your PHAT template? I have ran it before and thinking about running it again. Thanks

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
Interwsted in this template routine buddy? booneman77

Beta

Awards
  • Established
In for gains. Also I'm a huge proponent of PHAT or a PPL split. Recently switched to doing 6 days/week: PPL A, PPL B, rest. Definitely the most efficient when it comes to maximizing muscle protein synthesis imo. And the A and B days help with exercise variety.

Seen significant increases in general upper body size already.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Interwsted in this template routine buddy? booneman77
I'm keen too ��
hey guys, im starting to charge $5 to send either one of my versions of this out since I'm the one who put all the work into it and answers all the questions ha. It was just getting to the point where its taking a lot of my time to keep up with everyone so i feel like I should get something back. if you're still interested, pm me.

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, im starting to charge $5 to send either one of my versions of this out since I'm the one who put all the work into it and answers all the questions ha. It was just getting to the point where its taking a lot of my time to keep up with everyone so i feel like I should get something back. if you're still interested, pm me.
I don't blame you at all. I'll still give you the $5 and I already have it from months back. I think it's worth well more than $5 though. There is a ton of time invested here. And like nothing I've ever tried...this just works!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I don't blame you at all. I'll still give you the $5 and I already have it from months back. I think it's worth well more than $5 though. There is a ton of time invested here. And like nothing I've ever tried...this just works!
Much appreciated for the endorsement. I'm not asking from the guys I sent it to cuz they've all helped spread the word and even make some changes further so I consider that the beta tester group ha.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
5x5 has been my secret..when I started lifting again at 40 after a 12 year layoff..it took me to a 435 bench..I'm 50 now...no juice..no ph's..very proud of that

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
5x5 has been my secret..when I started lifting again at 40 after a 12 year layoff..it took me to a 435 bench..I'm 50 now...no juice..no ph's..very proud of that
That's what I was using before PHAT too. Great, simple program. After awhile tho I felt like o began to stagnate which led me to the progressive PHAT version I have. Still love my 5x5 week tho for sure.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
So I really want to increase the big 4 lifts squat, deadlift, bench and overhead. Looking at some of the suggested programs like PHAT or 5,3,1. Which one or any other would help increase my numbers/strength the fastest. PHAT that works each twice a week 1 power and 1 speed/hypertrophy or 5,3,1 that focuses on 1 big lift per day?

Or something like starting strength 5x5. My problem with it is i prefer to workout more than 3 times per week. Working out is my therapy and seriously makes me happier. Any tips are appreciated

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So I really want to increase the big 4 lifts squat, deadlift, bench and overhead. Looking at some of the suggested programs like PHAT or 5,3,1. Which one or any other would help increase my numbers/strength the fastest. PHAT that works each twice a week 1 power and 1 speed/hypertrophy or 5,3,1 that focuses on 1 big lift per day?

Or something like starting strength 5x5. My problem with it is i prefer to workout more than 3 times per week. Working out is my therapy and seriously makes me happier. Any tips are appreciated
IMO lifting more often is the best way to train either a movement or a muscle. The only way to progress is through repetition so that just makes sense. The one caveat is that you have to allow for proper recovery to reap the benefits of the workouts. Any good progressive program that focuses on those lifts should help you, and theres nothing that says you can't lift more than 3 times a week... hell, theres a ton of benefits to doing something everyday if you can recover correctly and program correctly.

I like PHAT because of the varietybut also due to the fact that its not solely focused on strength. If pure strength is your only goal, its prob not the best choice unless you really dumb down the accessory work.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
IMO lifting more often is the best way to train either a movement or a muscle. The only way to progress is through repetition so that just makes sense. The one caveat is that you have to allow for proper recovery to reap the benefits of the workouts. Any good progressive program that focuses on those lifts should help you, and theres nothing that says you can't lift more than 3 times a week... hell, theres a ton of benefits to doing something everyday if you can recover correctly and program correctly.

I like PHAT because of the varietybut also due to the fact that its not solely focused on strength. If pure strength is your only goal, its prob not the best choice unless you really dumb down the accessory work.
Thanks. Yes I agree. Sorry I left that out about the 3 days. That's what starting strength 5x5 calls for I think?

I've seen somewhere that there was a mod to add deadlifts into PHAT more frequently I believe?

I would say my goals are 65/35 strength to just size. I want the size but I want it to be strong muscle not just for show

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
That's what I was using before PHAT too. Great, simple program. After awhile tho I felt like o began to stagnate which led me to the progressive PHAT version I have. Still love my 5x5 week tho for sure.
The simplicity is why I think it's great for beginners..stagnation hits with everything..I started heavy triples when that happened