What works best for you, when it comes to biceps?

SlavicStrong

Awards
Is there any specific set and rep range you like, or one you found worked best for you? I am worried too high a set range is bad, since the biceps are a small muscle, and instead of growth, it can be weakened by putting too much stress on it. Any thoughts?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
I like to use IFBB pro Seth Feroce's protocol which is to start with low weight, high volume sets to rush blood into the muscles and fill them up. Then I kinda branch into my own thing and hit moderate weight for slow reps...really take time on the eccentric part of the curls. I move the weight up and follow the same principle. I use preacher curls on a preacher curl machine, standing dumbbell curls, seated incline curls

Basically my focus is to use good weight, really contract the biceps at the completion of the concentric movement, and really let the biceps feel the tension on the eccentric portion. I start and finish with low weight high rep movements to get blood pushed into the muscle.

Check out Seth feroce's arm workout video. Good stuff!!

slicer89

slicer89

Awards
  • Established
Before back workout:
Decline seated dumbell curls 4x20
Standing straight BB curls 4x20
Preacher curls zbar 4x20
Hammer curls superset with reverse grip bb curls 3x15

Do this for a month twice a week and you'll see a large increase in size

SlavicStrong

Awards
Before back workout:
Decline seated dumbell curls 4x20
Standing straight BB curls 4x20
Preacher curls zbar 4x20
Hammer curls superset with reverse grip bb curls 3x15

Do this for a month twice a week and you'll see a large increase in size
I used to do that, but switched to doing back before biceps months ago, you're saying this is what's worked best for you?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Spider Curls. Use them and love the peaks that will follow!

slicer89

slicer89

Awards
  • Established
I used to do that, but switched to doing back before biceps months ago, you're saying this is what's worked best for you?
My biceps didnt grow until i did this. Try it for 4 weeks, see if you notice a difference. Just so you're aware, if your diet isnt on point than the specific training styles you follow are almost negligible. Fast and great results come from eating a lot of clean food.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Training them directly works well. Supersetting with triceps for overall arm growth and better pumps is also effective. In fact not too much that isn't effective so long as you switch things up periodically and train them hard. Small muscle group so i hit them atleast twice a week in addition to indirect work they receive. Currently doing
8x12 barbell curls
8x12 dumbell curls
8x12 OH tricep extensions
8x12 Skull Crushers

zero rest between sets, drop sets and triceps supersetted with biceps. Added a solid inch in 12 weeks before the gains slowed up. Will have to try something new.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may be different, but my arms are my best asset. What works for me might not work for others. That being said, this is what I do.

1). Mix up rep ranges and what exercises I do. I never do the same exercises two weeks in a row. I may do one of the same but never the exact same routine for biceps.

2). Volume. Some days I like to hit low volume with heavy weight and other days I focus on time under tension/drop sets ...etc

3). Have a day for arms alone. This really helps my arms grow. They get work during back then hit them again on a separate day.

Here is what I did yesterday for biceps:

Barbell curl - 4 total sets including 1 warmup. This is my heavy exercise. Reps stay between 6-10. My final set I do a drop set.

Incline DB curl - 12/10/8 8/10/12. I do not let my arms rest at the negative. I hold it at about a 145 degree angle if that makes sense

DB hammer curls - 10/8/6

I finished my bicep training off with preacher curl. 2 sets to failure of whatever weight I choose. Usually I do something that I know I can hit at least 12 times but I aim for more reps.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another workout that I forgot to mention when it comes to biceps is close grip pull up. I love doing them.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Chasing the Pump" really works well.

The biceps are so overly used for most people just from back work that, a ton of volume for them on their own day is usually worthless. 2-3 sets 2x a week just to get a really strong pump works well.

If your biceps aren't growing though I would suggest cutting them out of your training by at least 50% and 8 bet they grow .

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
For me, I easily pull my shoulders into play on bicep movements, so I go really light, keep tension, and focus on the squeeze. Try to lock your upper arms in place on any bicep movement as well.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another one I forgot to mention is GVT style training 10x10.