Touch the chest on bench press? AND upper chest or mid chest low position.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not. Pros and Cons from coming that low to about 1-2" off the chest?

Same with bar low position in relation to chest.

sespress

Awards
Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not. Pros and Cons from coming that low to about 1-2" off the chest?

Same with bar low position in relation to chest.
Not sure about pro and con in general but my shoulder does funny things if I put it down onto the chest as opposed to about 2" above. My shoulder is effed though, but that could speak to a higher stress position in general.

so1970

Awards
To save that shoulder try having your elbows pointed more towards the front

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
If u are a competing powerlifter, then yes to touching the chest. If it hurts ur shoulders to touch ur chest then look into fixing ur shoulders instead of short syroking the BP

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tough question. If you are 100% flared, chest isn't up, you are not touching sternum area, it could be really hard to comfortably touch the chest. Depends on form and what you are trying to do I guess. I touch sternum.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The better question is what purpose does Bench pressing have in your program or workout?

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
I touch, feels like that "tap" motivates me to drive the bar back up.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If u are a competing powerlifter, then yes to touching the chest. If it hurts ur shoulders to touch ur chest then look into fixing ur shoulders instead of short syroking the BP
100% this.