Restricted Blood Flow Training Arms

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
Worth it? Anyone have great results? Or just bunk?

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In a short amount of time, it has made a more pronounced effect on my arm development than anything else I have ever done.

I have been doing it for about a month (twice a week) and already I'm seeing better definition, development and separation in both biceps and triceps. And also vascularity increase. Not bunk bro in my my experience. The pump alone is worth it LOL

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Occlusion training is definitely not bunk. I was doing it for legs while my knee was hurt. I used the leg press with a much lighter than normal weight load, and the 30,15,15,15 scheme. It's a crazy pump..... And pain haha. But I saw some quad growth from it. Just be ready for a totally unique kind of pain

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also feel like it takes a few workjouts to get the feel for it and do it right. It really is more than just throwing on the armbands and doing arm exercises. Band positioning, tightness and proper weight/form all come into play to making it right. Feel like I'm just dialing it in, and the real results are about to shine.

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
I know they say leg wraps, what are thoughts on wrist wraps? Same idea right? Prob over thinking, just need to occlude and pump lol

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know they say leg wraps, what are thoughts on wrist wraps? Same idea right? Prob over thinking, just need to occlude and pump lol
In my experience, I can't wear wrist wraps for high volume work. Far too much pain. You can try it out though! lol

I only use wrist wraps for strength work/heavy lifts.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Voodoo floss bands work really well.

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
I've heard about those! Definitely going to give it a go

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On top of the already mentioned benefits of occlusion training, since starting it with biceps I've relieved a bicep pain I get when benching. Curls 3x week, twice occluded, has me feeling healthier than ever on that arm.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
I also feel like it takes a few workjouts to get the feel for it and do it right. It really is more than just throwing on the armbands and doing arm exercises. Band positioning, tightness and proper weight/form all come into play to making it right. Feel like I'm just dialing it in, and the real results are about to shine.
Mind Pming me how to do it? I've been quite interested in it.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
When I get back to my desk I'll shoot you a PM. Too much to type on stupid phone LOL
Thanks a ton I REALLY appreciate it, been interested for a while just didnt know how to do it CORRECTLY. My arms dont grow past 17 inches unless im on cycle and when i come off they always go back to their usual 16.5-16.75 inches which isn't all that impressive for me since im 12% bf and 5'8

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks a ton I REALLY appreciate it, been interested for a while just didnt know how to do it CORRECTLY. My arms dont grow past 17 inches unless im on cycle and when i come off they always go back to their usual 16.5-16.75 inches which isn't all that impressive for me since im 12% bf and 5'8
Actually bro I'm going to tag you in the thread where I got it from who I got it. I just commented in there to him today thanking him and he reposted his video and an article that got me going.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
Actually bro I'm going to tag you in the thread where I got it from who I got it. I just commented in there to him today thanking him and he reposted his video and an article that got me going.
Thanks, much appreciated. Reps!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please tag me as well. Thanks!

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
So def think I found the sweet spot to where to wrap around the bi, pump is tight

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
BeastFitness has a good protocol
Thanks for the tag!

I've been utilizing my arm specific BFR protocol for some time now with myself and clients and have seen tremendous results! Almost 2 months ago someone online was looking to bring up his arms with BFR training so I suggested he try my protocol. Hearing THIS kind of feedback is AWESOME!

"Hey bro, just wanted to let you know that the simple BFR protocol you posted has made more progress on my arms in 4-5 weeks than I have made in a year or more. Good stuff and just getting started. My arms needed something to kickstart growth where traditional training hasn't been cutting it."

I made a video demonstrating how to utilize my method a few months ago…so just in case you missed it, here it is!

[video=youtube;f7aYt2vMPBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7aYt2vMPBI[/video]

Arm Specific Blood Flow Restriction Protocol

Introduction
Utilizing all the research at our disposal, we can see the numerous benefits of Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) training for anytime looking to increase muscular size. We see the goals of the original protocol being to restrict venous blood flow return from the muscle, causing the blood to collect into the targeted muscle. To accomplish this, wrapping or "occluding" the targeted limb approximately to 70% of maximum tightness of the cuffs or wraps you are using will do.

Mechanisms
BFR induces dramatic anabolic responses by a variety of mechanisms via hypertrophy, hyperplasia, increased satellite cell activation, increased MPS mediated by IGF-1 through translation initiation, a lessened elevation of markers of damage (myoglobin, CPK, and lipid peroxide), increasing growth hormone concentrations, and could cause shifts from slow twitch muscle fibers to fast twitch muscle fibers and a reduction in myostatin.

Traditional BFR Protocol
*3-5 sets to muscular failure
*weight used is 20-50% of your 1RM (generally kept with the 8-20 rep range)
*rest between 30-60 seconds between sets keeping the muscle occluded throughout the duration of the movement
The above method is utilized by wrapping your upper arm or upper thighs depending upon your target muscle group

BeastFitness Arm Specific BFR Protocol
*3-5 sets to muscular failure
*weight used is 20-50% of your 1RM (generally kept with the 8-20 rep range)
*upon completion of first set, bend at the hips allowing arms to stay in a "dead hanging" position for 15-30 seconds before standing upright for an additional 30 seconds keeping the muscle occluded throughout the duration of the movement.

The above method is utilized by wrapping your upper arms to target either the biceps or triceps muscle group. The difference, as you can see from above, is extremely slight, yet I have seen it produce a 30-50% increase in venous blood flow simply by allowing the set to somewhat extend and pool more blood into your arms while still under occlusion. This is purely anecdotal evidence as I have no means to actually measure this, but by simply manipulating how the rest period is done, I've seen a much greater increase in the overall "pump" effect of the muscle.

If done correctly, the pain and increase in vascularity will greatly exceed that of a traditional arm BFR set.

Anecdotal Results
*increased hypertrophy (within 3-4 weeks)
*increased vascularity (within 2 weeks)
*increased nutrient delivery
*increased insulin sensitivity

This is not a ground breaking way to increase muscular hypertrophy. It is simply a small manipulation I have used with myself and clients who struggle to increase their arm size. By implementing this with a program emphasizing progressive overload along with a caloric surplus, your muscles will grow.

References

Abe T, Kearns CF, Sato Y. Muscle size and strength are increased following walk training with restricted venous blood flow from the leg muscle, kaatsu-walk training. J Appl Physiol. 2006 May;100(5):1460-6.

Anderson J. A role for nitric oxide in muscle repair: nitric oxide-mediated activation of muscle satellite cells. Mol Biol Cell 11: 1859–1874, 2000.

Fujita S, Abe T, Drummond M, Cadenas J, Dreyer H, Sato Y, Volpi E, and Rasmussen B. Blood flow restriction during low-intensity resistance exercise increases S6K1 phosphorylation and muscle protein synthesis. J Appl Physiol 103: 903–910, 2007.

Kacin A, Strazar K. Frequent low-load ischemic resistance exercise to failure enhances muscle oxygen delivery and endurance capacity. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011 Dec;21(6):e231-41.

Kawada S and Ishii N. Changes in skeletal muscle size, fiber-type composition and capillary supply after chronic venous occlusion in rats. Acta Physiol 192: 541–549, 2008.

Kraemer W, Marchitelli L, Gordon S, Harman E, Dziados J, Mello R, Frykman P, McCurry D, and Fleck S. Hormonal and growth factor responses to heavy resistance exercise protocols. J Appl Physiol 69: 1442–1450, 1990.

Kubota A, Sakuraba K, Sawaki K, Sumide T, Tamura Y. Prevention of disuse muscular weakness by restriction of blood flow. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Mar;40(3):529-34.

Loenneke JP and Pujol TJ. The Use of Occlusion Training to Produce Muscle Hypertrophy. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 31(3): 77-84, June 2009.

Schoenfeld BJ. Potential mechanisms for a role of metabolic stress in hypertrophic adaptations to resistance training. Sports Med. 2013 Mar;43(3):179-94.

Suga T, Okita K, Takada S, Omokawa M, Kadoguchi T, Yokota T, et al. Effect of multiple set on intramuscular metabolic stress during low-intensity resistance exercise with blood flow restriction. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012 Nov;112(11):3915-20.

Takano H, Morita T, Iida H, Asada K, Kato M, Uno K, Hirose K, Matsumoto A, Takenaka K, Hirata Y, Eto F, Nagai R, Sato Y, and Nakaajima T. Hemodynamic and hormonal responses to a short-term low-intensity resistance exercise with the reduction of muscle blood flow. Eur J Appl Physiol 95: 65–73, 2005.

Takarada Y, Takazawa H, Sato Y, Takebayashi S, Tanaka Y, and Ishii N. Effects of resistance exercise combined with moderate vascular occlusion on muscle function in humans. J Appl Physiol 88: 2097–2106, 2000.

Wilson JM, Lowery RP, Joy JM, Loenneke JP, Naimo MA. Practical blood flow restriction training increases acute determinants of hypertrophy without increasing indices of muscle damage. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Feb 26.

Johnybgood

Johnybgood

Awards
Great share! Definitely want to try this out. Thank you BeastFitness

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards