German Volume Training

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Any thoughts on this training style, any good? In terms of size and/or strength?

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
It works great for size. It was one of the best programs I have ever tried for size gains.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I gained quite a bit doing it. I was on a 1-test/4-AD/1,4-diol cycle at the time and bulking hard, so no suprise there I guess ;)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
can someone post there split and what exercises they did while do this style of training.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
mine followed Poliquin's pretty strict, no major changes. You've looked at the sticky at top, right? You can make changes if you want, but I didn't really see much need to.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
the link is not working for me, can you post the actual website?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
dont know what the deal is, it wont work, whats the site?

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
mine followed Poliquin's pretty strict, no major changes. You've looked at the sticky at top, right? You can make changes if you want, but I didn't really see much need to.
Same here. Just stick with the basics.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
one thing I dont understand. Do you do the same exercise for each body part each week? For example, for the first week you choose flat bench, should you stick to flat bench EVERY time you do chest?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
If I remember right I think you do the first 5-6 weeks with flat bench, then change to incline bench for the remaining 5-6 weeks. I would have to read over it again to be sure.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
So your supposed to do back and chest on the same day. But I decided to do just chest and see how it went. I bench around 350, so I decided to start with 185. I could to 10 until the 8th set, then I got 9, 8 and 6. Man **** is hard!!!!!!!I couldnt believe it.

weider

Awards
GVT, good stuff.

I'm on the Intermediate phase right now and I love it. I follow the 60 second rest period between sets (I don't superset), but I slack a bit with the 4-5 second negatives (more like 2-3). I'm alternating core compound exercises for each bodypart per session. I'll do BB bench 10x follwed with 3x incline DB and the next session I'll do DB Bench 10x and dips 3x.

I didn't like training chest and back the same day so I ended up doing chest/shoulders and back/bi's in difft wo's. But that's just me....

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Something like this will net results for like 6 weeks at best before you need to rework it. It will also put a hurt on any weak links you have and induce a lot of general fatigue.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ill vouch for its effectiveness. the times ive trained GVT, i did tweak the selection of exercises.
Sage

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I did legs a few days ago, 10 sets of 10 deep swats at 185, I almost called in sick from work. It takes me like a 1 min just to walk down small flight of stares.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Buddy... did the same w/deads a few days ago; same weight and reps. The walk to my car from my condo is like the Bataan death march.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea, I am gonna try it with deads this weekend. I hope I wont even be able to stand up

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
the lower back pumps are nearly fatal ;)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
hey risk---I know this is off topic, but whats your final opinion on the oratropin.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
I like it, but would definitely go with the injectable. I saw much better results with the injectable at this stage in the cycle; simply put. As far as issues/risks related to plasma-spikes[inj IGF] -- I will likely go with more frequent injections.

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just started GVT with my workout partner.

First day went well but today both of us only have soreness in our tri's, none in our bi's. How can 10x10 sets of standing curls not cause ANY soreness...? Maybe we should go with another bi exercise next time...? What did you guys use for bicep day?

On a side note, does anyone think 10x10 for just biceps might be a little overtraining?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Try slowing down your concentric and eccentric phases, and keep super strict form, that should make you more sore. I wouldnt think it would be too much for bis, just give it another shot next week and let us know how it goes.

anadrol75

Awards
Another thumbs up for GVT. No more than six weeks though.Hey riskarb, you have an interest in Navy Seals? I have been noticing your avatar. If so I have a number of interesting publications you might like.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Sure Buddy; you can send me an email to my handle @gmail.com. :cheers:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
GVT really does its best when used for legs IMO.

anadrol75

Awards
riskarb, my e-mail is down. I think you may enjoy Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko. He is the founder of team six. This book is action packed. The other is The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch, also a former Seal. He was allowed to follow Class 228 through their first phase training. I am amazed by the tenacity of these men. It is impressive how a strong mind can overcome physical punishment. Enjoy!

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Anadrol... have you seen the documentary on Fit TV? It follows a recent BUD/S class[class 236] Thanks for the suggestions.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I though arms were done on shoulder day, like this
10x10 shoulders
3x3 bi's
3x3 tri's

at least for the beginner GVT cycle

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I though arms were done on shoulder day, like this
10x10 shoulders
3x3 bi's
3x3 tri's

at least for the beginner GVT cycle
Actually it's almost the opposite. If you look at http://www.strengthcats.com/CP-GVT.html you'll see that Day 4 (shoulders and arms) has you doing 10x10 dips and 10x10 curls then 3x10 lat raises and 3x10 bentover raises.

You gotta remember that poliquin (the guy that designed the modern GVT workout) believed in not working the shoulders too hard. I'm sure he thought that 10x10 benchpress and 10x10 pulldowns were working the shoulders hard enough as it was ;)

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just an update.... I hate chest/back day :)

We chose flat bench and pulldowns for the 10x10 exercises and my god it's embarassing sitting there struggling with 30 lbs on each side of the bar while benching

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Just an update.... I hate chest/back day :)

We chose flat bench and pulldowns for the 10x10 exercises and my god it's embarassing sitting there struggling with 30 lbs on each side of the bar while benching
LMAO as I just did chest. Hot chick in the gym asking if she can spot me when I am on my 8th set of 155. Of course she asks why I am lifting so light. :frustrate

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
LMAO as I just did chest. Hot chick in the gym asking if she can spot me when I am on my 8th set of 155. Of course she asks why I am lifting so light. :frustrate
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Of course, if you lift too heavy you have the opposite problem... yelling and getting all psyched up, hyperventilating, turning red and grunting like a wild animal in the process of a ~700lb squat will scare away all but the most hardcore of chicks :D

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Of course, if you lift too heavy you have the opposite problem... yelling and getting all psyched up, hyperventilating, turning red and grunting like a wild animal in the process of a ~700lb squat will scare away all but the most hardcore of chicks :D
Scare away chicks? **** that would scare most guys away ;)