Question about squat form

antiacus

Awards
I've recently switched over to more of a powerlifting squat form. My stance is wider, the weight further down on my traps.

On two occasions i've had the bar start to slip down my back. In each case i was able to hang on, lean forward a bit and catch it but with 315lbs up there is was a little disconcerting.

Also, with the bar that far down (mid trap level, maybe 4-5" below where it would sit on top of my shoulders) my flexibility is too poor to put my hands anywhere but on the furthest ends of the bar (i'm 6'5" so i have a long wingspan) is that okay or should i raise it up some until my flexibility improves?

Thanks for any tips.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Video is needed to give real technique assessment and advice.

antiacus

Awards
I'll see what i can do. I don't squat again until next monday though.

antiacus

Awards
Yes, just once. I'm a cyclist and my legs are hammered by the end of my week, which is why i squat on Monday :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yes, just once. I'm a cyclist and my legs are hammered by the end of my week, which is why i squat on Monday :)
My point being that if you're trying to become proficient at a new skill, it'd be best to train it multiple times per week. They don't have to be heavy either; you can easily do speed work to try to reinforce the new motor programming.

antiacus

Awards
My point being that if you're trying to become proficient at a new skill, it'd be best to train it multiple times per week. They don't have to be heavy either; you can easily do speed work to try to reinforce the new motor programming.
Not a bad idea, thanks.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
to add to this point. i use ATG squats to warm up for deads. ill hit as heavy as 80% of my squats for at least a few reps before moving on to deads. volume is waaaay less than what is on a squat day but it has done wonders for a squat that was stalled out for a year.