Squat form check

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks solid bubba. Try not to crane your neck back so hard though. Just keep your head level.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks good from that angle, man. I def agree with AZ on the head. It can cause you to over extend. You should be able to keep that chest up without crankin your head back. Watch out with the grip. Mine is like that too. I have to think to grip over the bar a bit more instead of broken back. For me, when getting close to maximal weight, the wrist broke back can send some pain down into my elbows. From what I can see, your hips looked great. Disclaimer: I'm no expert.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With others on that vid and looked deep and strong out of hole from that angle too kiddo.
Important thing is, that if you are using heavier loads & reps ie: 80%+ that your from is still pretty dang close to that on your struggle reps.

ITW

ITW

Awards
With others on that vid and looked deep and strong out of hole from that angle too kiddo.
Important thing is, that if you are using heavier loads & reps ie: 80%+ that your from is still pretty dang close to that on your struggle reps.
Haha that's kinda my issue right now. As the load goes up, my form suffers a bit. But I'm continually improving

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I know most peoples max form is most likely a looser form than warmups.
The thing for trainees to remember is, to be able to dial it in if you have to and don't get so far outside the ego house that they do crap that has them laid up for 5 weeks.
And this is not high horse talk, it is from experience, when I should have known better. Don't make my mistakes if you can help it.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well looks like your covered man lol, keep up the good work!

ITW

ITW

Awards
Thanks everyone. Might post up a bench and dead vid soon

ITW

ITW

Awards
Here's another squat vid. Gym was super busy when I did dead and bench so ill get those vids eventually. Here's me squatting around what I would assume to be 85-90% of my max. Haven't tested 1RM in awhile because I've been working on my form. Believe me, a year ago it was UGLY. I wish I had vids to show.

I have mixed feeling about this squat. I tried with all my might to sit back but it's not quite where I want it.

I'm looking for opinions on the breakdown of my form from around 70 to 90% of my max (see above vid as well). The change in depth was intentional btw. I know form breakdown isn't ideal but would you say I'm at least headed in the right direction? Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/Jlc9SdlzRts

ITW

ITW

Awards
^ hahaha just saw this. Also note the horrendous smith machine squats in the background. I lift at a YMCA....this is what I deal with on a daily basis.

blindedge449

blindedge449

Awards
^ hahaha just saw this. Also note the horrendous smith machine squats in the background. I lift at a YMCA....this is what I deal with on a daily basis.
haha thats first thing i noticed. i was about to comment on that

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, your form looks better (and for lack of a better word) more cautious and slower than mine ever did. You look like you are kinda tall. Like me, more built for pulling probably. Does not mean that you cannot excel in squatting. I mean Brad Gillingham does great.
Ie: You may have to drive up harder or a bit faster when doing some work sets!?
My guess is over time, you will develop a groove/niche of where you can be with it (maybe not so super strict!? & others may have some input) and be strong and hold form, while sticking the tough reps time and time again.
Some guys say to drive the head back while coming up, while others, like Rippetoe almost looks down and out towards the floor, driving more with hips. I am probably in between both worlds most of the time.

The best advice I ever got was Coan's remarks and thinking and seeing myself, dropping the torso between the legs, like a goblet squat and not folding myself like a Z.
You look ahead of the game bud.

ITW

ITW

Awards
Personally, your form looks better (and for lack of a better word) more cautious and slower than mine ever did. You look like you are kinda tall. Like me, more built for pulling probably. Does not mean that you cannot excel in squatting. I mean Brad Gillingham does great.
Ie: You may have to drive up harder or a bit faster when doing some work sets!?
My guess is over time, you will develop a groove/niche of where you can be with it (maybe not so super strict!? & others may have some input) and be strong and hold form, while sticking the tough reps time and time again.
Some guys say to drive the head back while coming up, while others, like Rippetoe almost looks down and out towards the floor, driving more with hips. I am probably in between both worlds most of the time.

The best advice I ever got was Coan's remarks and thinking and seeing myself, dropping the torso between the legs, like a goblet squat and not folding myself like a Z.
You look ahead of the game bud.
Appreciate the insight. I'm not terribly tall only like 6ft even on a good day but I do have long legs and arms. Squatting has become an art for me haha. Love trying to work on the details. Maximal strength will come with time and proper programming