Mass muscle training for the taller man???

MistaFunnyMan

MistaFunnyMan

Awards
Im 6'7''

I am currently getting info on supplements and nutrition in the other forums but i am looking to see if people have any ideas on training that would benefit muscle growth for a long limbed trainer.

any ideas?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember seeing a thread or two regarding tall lifters. Everything I've read says that even tall lifters should still be using full ROM. With that being said, I don't see programming to be different based on height. I'm not tall though either..

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
The best lifting program is spoon lifts and fork curls.

In other words the only thing a tall person has different is more mass to deal with. And the answer to that is more food. So eat more. If your program doesnt give you results, eat more.

MistaFunnyMan

MistaFunnyMan

Awards
I remember seeing a thread or two regarding tall lifters. Everything I've read says that even tall lifters should still be using full ROM. With that being said, I don't see programming to be different based on height. I'm not tall though either..
ah cheers. Yeah people have said that it wouldnt be different really for taller or shorter lifters, but i wanted to check.
I aim for full ROM anyway.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is not that you should or should not use full ROM lifts, but it may be that you are at a disadvantage with "some" of them especially if you are looking for say strength gains/ratios as opposed to your shorter counterpart. A full squat might be tougher and a bit harder on the knees than say a parallel and or 1/2 squat. Using the raised handles on say a trap bar dead or using slight blocks/boxes on a straight bar dead, might also be a better advantage for you to build up to using bigger weights and thus adding some more overall mass on the hips legs and back. Like the others have said, the same recipe for building mass is pretty much even across the board for everyone. Eating along with the training, is usually the marker for bigger mass gains.
That said there are some pretty tall WSM competitors.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
It is not that you should or should not use full ROM lifts, but it may be that you are at a disadvantage with "some" of them especially if you are looking for say strength gains/ratios as opposed to your shorter counterpart. A full squat might be tougher and a bit harder on the knees than say a parallel and or 1/2 squat. Using the raised handles on say a trap bar dead or using slight blocks/boxes on a straight bar dead, might also be a better advantage for you to build up to using bigger weights and thus adding some more overall mass on the hips legs and back. Like the others have said, the same recipe for building mass is pretty much even across the board for everyone. Eating along with the training, is usually the marker for bigger mass gains.
That said there are some pretty tall WSM competitors.
1/2 squats regardless of lever length will be "harder" on the knees then a full squat. Cutting the squat short results in an anterior dominate lift, which itself will eventually cause problems strengthening the common ADL induced anterior/posterior imbalance. Cutting the squat short never allows the hamstrings to exert their distal influence on the tibia. With that, at the knee, increased forces will be seen on the patellar tendon as well as in the acl. This is due to the lack of the "tibial fixing," against anterior displacement, as a result of the distal hamstring influence. Along with that, the hip will never reach its optimal rom in flexion which in turn will effect the proximal hamstrings by limiting their stretch and effecting the stretch-strain relationship. This will reduce their force production potentials and again reinforce the anterior basis in a 1/2 squat.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
full rom may be best for some movements....but as time goes on and if your taller with long limbs, look into constant tension training, it may be better for mass for you...also don't concern yourself with strength if your worried about mass

youtube some max charles training videos...he's 6ft which isn't nearly as tall as you but still tall for a bodybuilder, you can also look into jason huh, in one of his videos he explains why you'd want to try this training...he does it all the time but doing a few movements that way could really help keep the tension on the muscle

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We can look at this in another way. As a taller athlete with a greater ROM, the time under tension placed upon your muscles will be quite a bit more than for a 5'10 athlete. That said, I'm not sure any drastic (or novel) measures are necessary towards gaining mass. The stimulus for protein synthesis is still the same - progressive overload. The absolute caloric requirements will just be more, so eat well.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

MistaFunnyMan

MistaFunnyMan

Awards
full rom may be best for some movements....but as time goes on and if your taller with long limbs, look into constant tension training, it may be better for mass for you...also don't concern yourself with strength if your worried about mass

youtube some max charles training videos...he's 6ft which isn't nearly as tall as you but still tall for a bodybuilder, you can also look into jason huh, in one of his videos he explains why you'd want to try this training...he does it all the time but doing a few movements that way could really help keep the tension on the muscle

Brilliant I will check them out. And muchos gracias for the advice :)