Blood flow vs heavy weight training

badnews09

badnews09

Awards
Someone help me understand the concept of blood flow in muscle building?

I'm about 9months into very involved training and still trying to coordinate that mind to muscle connection I know that blood flow has alot to do with this process I'm haven a hard time connecting with my legs and rhomboidal muscles.
Any suggestions or does it just come with experience? Would I feel it more with heavy weight or lighter weight in dropsets?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Blood flow has to do with cytokines, anabolic pathway activation, hormone transport, nutrient transport, waste transport etc. how in depth do you want to go?

The neuromuscular connection and increased motor unit recruitment is going to come with time your still most likely in the associative phase of learning the lifts. This lends itself to the development of exactly what your desiring. Keep practicing your lifts with as perfect of a form as possible visualizing the mechanics, isometrics, eccentrics and concentrics as you go through the lifts. Overly emphasize this in your warm-ups repetition is key but make sure that repetition is done correctly. With regards to rhomboid activation look into scapular retraction, depression and downward rotation exercises. While the legs focus on your cueing spreading the floor and driving the floor away as opposed to driving yourself up. Another tool that has worked for me is the utilization of the plank but its key that isometrics be used over the entire body not just the erector spinea and abdominal sheaths. Practice, practice here! Always keep in mind that practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

badnews09

badnews09

Awards
Blood flow has to do with cytokines, anabolic pathway activation, hormone transport, nutrient transport, waste transport etc. how in depth do you want to go?

The neuromuscular connection and increased motor unit recruitment is going to come with time your still most likely in the associative phase of learning the lifts. This lends itself to the development of exactly what your desiring. Keep practicing your lifts with as perfect of a form as possible visualizing the mechanics, isometrics, eccentrics and concentrics as you go through the lifts. Overly emphasize this in your warm-ups repetition is key but make sure that repetition is done correctly. With regards to rhomboid activation look into scapular retraction, depression and downward rotation exercises. While the legs focus on your cueing spreading the floor and driving the floor away as opposed to driving yourself up. Another tool that has worked for me is the utilization of the plank but its key that isometrics be used over the entire body not just the erector spinea and abdominal sheaths. Practice, practice here! Always keep in mind that practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
That is the best explanation I've heard makes lots of since thanks alot. Also with the blood flow once you loose the "pump" in your workout is it time to hang it up for that muscle group for the day or week to have complete recovery and muscle gain? I base my workouts on my pump but don't know if that's and amature mistake or a good practice to get into?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
There is a lot of evidence and supporters especially here of the pump meaning nothing in regards to hypertrophy. Although when vascular occlusion and TUT among various other variables are taken into consideration the resulting cellular and interstitial swelling (the pump), associated with the local trauma induced through the lift, can be put into play to a degree with regards to hypertrophic mechanism more specifically, sarcoplasmic in nature.