Help with the delts!!! (Recovering From an Injury) HELP!!!

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I really need some advice on some good shoulder exercises! I'm recovering from an injury that left me with 3 months of PT and the ability to do little to no upper-body work. I love military presses but am worried to re-tear the muscles I did before. (Left and Right Pectoral). any advice on the matter or exercises that would lead to less stress on the pectorals? Thanks

TexasGuy

Awards
It's tough to isolate the shoulder completely. I would not push your injury recovery. Body recomp is a marathon, albeit one made up of many sprints.

You could try front and lateral raises. Start very light to see how your pec feels. I would avoid overhead pressing for sure until you are healed.

A re-tear will only hold you back longer though. Don't push yourself.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I wanna try a low volume 5x5 or 3x3 for it with low weight, maybe build back that muscle a step at a time. like military press with 25's and move up from there. opinion?

TexasGuy

Awards
It depends on how well recovered your pec is. Just go through the motion of an overhead press with no weight and feel the stretch on your pec, now imagine a loaded stretch + contraction. You could very easily re-tear a muscle.

If you are healed and simply weak, absolutely re-build with a strength based program.

Are you seeing a physical therapist or medical professional regarding the injury?

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I've gone back to do a review of my recovery but nothing since PT. I tried overhead with 25's and it was fine! tiny pull though but nothing drastic

TexasGuy

Awards
Feel is important but I would go by your review primarily, feel secondarily. You can be healed enough to not feel pain without being 100%, which is how re-tears happen. If the doc ok's your lifting, go for it.