Deadlift form check

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I wasn't sure whether to make another thread and post my sumo deadlift question thread or post the video of my form in it's own thread..I chose the latter, anyway here is the video of my form.
This video is my deadlifting 135
deadliftformcheck_135_001_zpsc6ff1f47.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

This is me deadlifting 135 at a different angle
deadliftformcheck_135_002_zps6e71e673.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

and this is me deadlifting 295(my current rep weight)

deadliftformcheck295_zpsddfd8028.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

Some notes. I had my toes pointed up during the exercise to put pressure on my heals. I'm flat footed and feel that if I have my toes up it creates sort of an arch in my feet and I can go lower easier. I did notice that I feel like I'm shifting a little bit forward on the way down, but no where near as much as I felt when I was deadlifting in shoes, yeah I was deadlifting bare foot in those videos.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I wasn't sure whether to make another thread and post my sumo deadlift question thread or post the video of my form in it's own thread..I chose the latter, anyway here is the video of my form.
This video is my deadlifting 135
deadliftformcheck_135_001_zpsc6ff1f47.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

This is me deadlifting 135 at a different angle
deadliftformcheck_135_002_zps6e71e673.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

and this is me deadlifting 295(my current rep weight)

deadliftformcheck295_zpsddfd8028.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

Some notes. I had my toes pointed up during the exercise to put pressure on my heals. I'm flat footed and feel that if I have my toes up it creates sort of an arch in my feet and I can go lower easier. I did notice that I feel like I'm shifting a little bit forward on the way down, but no where near as much as I felt when I was deadlifting in shoes, yeah I was deadlifting bare foot in those videos.
Those videos don't really show much at all, a side view would be much better for analysis. Better yet, a view from each angle both sides front and back and also the whole lift should be in frame, we are getting less than half the story on these vids.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
The biggest issue I see is your not getting your hips down under you and initially driving with the legs. Your pulling almost exclusively with your backside which places tremendous strain on the lumbar spine and lower back muscles.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The biggest issue I see is your not getting your hips down under you and initially driving with the legs. Your pulling almost exclusively with your backside which places tremendous strain on the lumbar spine and lower back muscles.
Any tips? Should I try to bring my glutes lower?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Essentially the first 1/3 of the movement should be all legs. Drop your hips down, your almost stiff legging it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Essentially the first 1/3 of the movement should be all legs. Drop your hips down, your almost stiff legging it.
Yeah I'm going to try again in a bit I feel like I ****ed up on that vid and the other vids I did better...nope same issue :/ what can I do to fix this?

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established

Means just bend your knees and drop your hips so your using more leg drive during the initial upward phase of the lift

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Just like everyone else has said your hips need to start lower. Focus on extending both knees and hips at the same rate. The way you have done the lift your extending your knees first and that is putting you into a straight leg deadlift.

image-177874169.png

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established

That looked better. You could drop down further yet, but it's a work in progress. Your starting position should be similar to the lowest point of a front squat. Legs should be near parallel, chest up, torso upright. It is essential that the initial torque created to get the bar moving upward is distributed among the knee and hip joint. If you completely extend your knees before the weight leaves the ground, then all that torque is placed on your lower back, and your destined for injury.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
That looked better. You could drop down further yet, but it's a work in progress. Your starting position should be similar to the lowest point of a front squat. Legs should be near parallel, chest up, torso upright. It is essential that the initial torque created to get the bar moving upward is distributed among the knee and hip joint. If you completely extend your knees before the weight leaves the ground, then all that torque is placed on your lower back, and your destined for injury.
And this? http://s37.beta.photobucket.com/user/BrainStorm_wow/media/side02_zps25e3be44.mp4.html

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The eccentric on the deadlift should not happen. You should essentially do a controlled drop of the weight. TUT and deads are a bad idea.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The eccentric on the deadlift should not happen. You should essentially do a controlled drop of the weight. TUT and deads are a bad idea.
TUT? Time Under Tension? So you're saying drop the weight fast. How was I lifting the weight up though? BTW I hit my knee on the way down. If the lifting part is right I can focus on the lowering.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
low box squats helped both my deads and squats form, both work in progress still. Forced me to use my hips to drive. I make sure to push my hips in by straightening my knees and hips at the same time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
TUT? Time Under Tension? So you're saying drop the weight fast. How was I lifting the weight up though? BTW I hit my knee on the way down. If the lifting part is right I can focus on the lowering.
Your hips are still a bit high and you're using primarily erector strength as opposed to using the hips and thighs for the initial portion of the movement.