Need critique of new program

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
Would you add/remove/change anything about this program?

Monday: Chest/Bis

Flat Bench Press 3x10,8,6
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x10,8,6
Fly Machine 3x10

Barbell Curls 3x10
Incline Curls 3x10
Hammer Curls 3x10

Tuesday: Back/Tris

Deadlifts 3x10,8,6
Lat Pulldowns 3x10,8,6
Barbell Rows 3x10,8,6

Dips 3x10
Skulls 3x10
Pushdowns 3x10

Wed: REST

Thurs: Shoulders/Abs

Clean and Press 3x10,8,6
Dumbbell Overhead Press 3x10,8,6
Lat Raises 3x10,8,6
Shrugs 3x10,8,6

Abs....

Friday: Legs

Squats 3x10,8,6
Leg Curls 3x10,8,6
Leg Ext's 3x10,8,6
Calf Raises 3x10,8,6

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
personally, id switch bent over barbell row to first on back day and move deadlifts to leg day. im a ***git like that though, just personal stroke. and id change incline press on chest day to one of those ***git chest press machines. only because stabilizers are a little worn after heavy flat bench

and if you dont mve deads to leg day, throw n leg press after squats

Reds91

Reds91

Awards
I'd switch bb row to before pulldowns. Other then that looks good imo.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
i forgot to add, id also throw in some form of pullups/chinups if you can do them. id do barbell row then 2-3 sets of pullups

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
First what is your goal in doing this program?

From a kinesiology stand point the program is a little unbalanced. You are missing some pressing work in the sagittal plane. I would include something along the lines of a close grip press, dumbbell neutral grip press, etc. While you have covered horizontal shoulder flexion, with three exercises, you are missing horizontal shoulder extension all together. This is something that 100% needs to be addressed because it could be feeding into upper cross syndrome especially when combined with your shrug work. ADLs feed into it enough on their own and when combined with an unbalanced program, your asking for some imbalances and postural trouble. Throw in some horizontal extension exercises like facepulls, reverse flies, band pull aparts, etc. Your leg day I would ditch the leg curls and leg ext for reasons related to biomechanics at the knee joint when load is placed distally. Include rather something like RDLs, goodmornings, walking lunges, side lunges, pistol squats, etc. If you must do them keep them light and focus on TUT. You also need to take into consideration (ab)adduction at the hip. Your shoulder day has a clean and press in it. I'd drop the clean and just incorporate push press or military press. The clean is just thrown in there and really not serving any purpose, except fatiguing your hip and knee extensors prior to doing squats the following day. At the rep ranges you've stated it also runs a high risk for injury. Cleans are a power exercise and should be done accordingly. When you get into higher rep ranges your mechanics inevitably break down leaving the door open for injury. Finally what does your ab training consist of? If i missed anything I am sure others will throw out some opinions too.

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
So how would you guys tweak this? Could you copy my original and tweak it so I can see? I'm not good at putting programs together..

First what is your goal in doing this program?

From a kinesiology stand point the program is a little unbalanced. You are missing some pressing work in the sagittal plane. I would include something along the lines of a close grip press, dumbbell neutral grip press, etc. While you have covered horizontal shoulder flexion, with three exercises, you are missing horizontal shoulder extension all together. This is something that 100% needs to be addressed because it could be feeding into upper cross syndrome especially when combined with your shrug work. ADLs feed into it enough on their own and when combined with an unbalanced program, your asking for some imbalances and postural trouble. Throw in some horizontal extension exercises like facepulls, reverse flies, band pull aparts, etc. Your leg day I would ditch the leg curls and leg ext for reasons related to biomechanics at the knee joint when load is placed distally. Include rather something like RDLs, goodmornings, walking lunges, side lunges, pistol squats, etc. If you must do them keep them light and focus on TUT. You also need to take into consideration (ab)adduction at the hip. Your shoulder day has a clean and press in it. I'd drop the clean and just incorporate push press or military press. The clean is just thrown in there and really not serving any purpose, except fatiguing your hip and knee extensors prior to doing squats the following day. At the rep ranges you've stated it also runs a high risk for injury. Cleans are a power exercise and should be done accordingly. When you get into higher rep ranges your mechanics inevitably break down leaving the door open for injury. Finally what does your ab training consist of? If i missed anything I am sure others will throw out some opinions too.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
why not get on a proven program that will get you to your goals? and what are your goals?

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
Gain size / loss fat...I'm not as concerned with strength

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Gain size / loss fat...I'm not as concerned with strength
ill keep this post short, gain size = eat more calores. lose fat = eat less calories.

it is possible to do both but it will take much longer and with most people being very impatient for any type of results i would not recommend it. unless you are on massive amounts of legal/illegal supplementation which can speed up the process immensely.

you could try some diets like carb backloading or intermittent fasting while trying a mass building program. that may do the trick. but really, pick one goal and work on that for a while. what may help is, how tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how long have you been working out, and do you think you are fat, pudgy, thin, etc?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I just typed out a massive response but it includes everything NyIron said. I would strongly recommended incorporating his options.

And just for shoulder health, internal/external rotation should be staple.