deadlift form... how to make sure its always good?

chubbsthedog6

Awards
Ok so im on a 5x5 program having great results but the last set, the heaviest, I always curve my back and have bad form... just wondering if there's tips to help or is it
fine to have bad form on only one set? I mean I don't have back pain now but im afraid I might in the future so just let me know what you guys think thanks

thebigc

Awards
I had the same problem, especially after I'm worn out (love the 5x5). I fixed it by making sure my back was straight (even more closer to a 45 degree angle) and I was squatting lower to grab the bar - when I pick it up, I look up with my eyes (not moving my head) and it's kept my form solid. Does that make sense?

thebigc

Awards
You should NEVER sacrifice technique for weight.
Props, good point - you might have to lift lighter just to fix your form again. There's a reason this guy has an M.Ed. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, if you put up a video, I can tell you where your imbalances/technical deficiencies are.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Practice until you DON'T round your back.

Your disks thank you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should NEVER sacrifice technique for weight.
definitely on the major compound movements, but i'm less sure on isolations. Sacrificing concentric form to get a weight up for a few reps (say bicep curl) but controlled eccentric still would have value.

On a deadlift though, its asking for a problem for sure, particularly if you are doing 5x5 and at your 5rm.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
a vid would be best to confirm weak spots.

until then i would recommend keeping your head up and doing facepulls.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
as long as I remember to put my shoulders in my back pockets that's been the trick for me. If you have to break form, its too much weight and a back injury waiting to happen.

chubbsthedog6

Awards
thanks a lot for all the replies guys. Maybe ill just start skipping the last set of the deadlift and focus on for for the other 3 sets ... i only have two more weeks of the deadlifting anyways. and i cant post a video at the moment buteverytime its the same i set up perfectly everythings looking good and i attempt the weight and when i basically know i cant get it i can feel my hips come up too early and my back rounds. And for weaknesses definently just the lowest part if i can get the weight maybe an inch or two off the ground its always coming up slowly but surely ive never failedhigher then 2 inches off the ground not sure if that helps

chubbsthedog6

Awards
and also is it like possible when ur maxing out on ur deadlift to have perfect form? i always see videos of guys who have good form and then when they max they do anything possible to get it up not sure if i should be doing this or not

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and also is it like possible when ur maxing out on ur deadlift to have perfect form? i always see videos of guys who have good form and then when they max they do anything possible to get it up not sure if i should be doing this or not
only if you'd like to have injuries and problems down the road. Unless you are competing in powerlifting to begin with, worrying about your 1rm isn't that big a deal. the 10-20lbs more than your likely 3rm isn't worth hurting yourself over by trying to slap 30lbs on and using lousy form

chubbsthedog6

Awards
ok gotcha ill try and get some videos up soon. im gunna get videos of me using the first three sets im not gunna do the last set on video cause i know its just god awful. that way i guess you guys can see if i even have good form in the first place.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks a lot for all the replies guys. Maybe ill just start skipping the last set of the deadlift and focus on for for the other 3 sets ... i only have two more weeks of the deadlifting anyways. and i cant post a video at the moment buteverytime its the same i set up perfectly everythings looking good and i attempt the weight and when i basically know i cant get it i can feel my hips come up too early and my back rounds. And for weaknesses definently just the lowest part if i can get the weight maybe an inch or two off the ground its always coming up slowly but surely ive never failedhigher then 2 inches off the ground not sure if that helps
It could be a number of reasons. You could be failing to pull out the slack on the bar, be weak in the quads, weak in the abs, etc.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you guys are having the opposite issue than me. My back never rounds, it's hyperextended through my lifts and I struggle to remain neutral. Even when doing a 1RM, it wants to stay in hyperextension. Tight hips are the issue for me though

napalm

napalm

Awards
I completely understand the whole technique vs weight argument, but anyone who says their technique is perfect has never tried a TRUE 1rm. Take a look at some vids of the top PL'ers. Few have good, let alone great form on their 3rd attempt. I know I don't. That said, the OP should prolly check the ego and drop the weight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I completely understand the whole technique vs weight argument, but anyone who says their technique is perfect has never tried a TRUE 1rm. Take a look at some vids of the top PL'ers. Few have good, let alone great form on their 3rd attempt. I know I don't. That said, the OP should prolly check the ego and drop the weight.
We're also talking about very experienced lifters that have years of training under their belt and, as you've said, 1RMwill likely have slight differences in technique than a 5RM. I completely agree with you that a true 1RM generally is not the prettiest thing in the world to see.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and like I said, that is for competition, which is quite a different world than "i'm trying to add some mass and raise my strenght" when money, titles, travel, sponsorships, etc are riding on that 1rm.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be fair, as you described your comparing someone training their deadlift as their main lift for the day to someone who's performing their third set of a deadlift after performing 8 combined sets of squat, full-body bench, and deadlifts at 100+-10% effort, so differences are to be expected.

Good point, though.

A suggestion that has helped me beyond words is Zir Red's - deadlift without straps. I haven't had an issue with my form but 3 times in the past 4 months, and I think it's because I've been lifting without straps. Usually your grip is one of the first places you fail on the deadlift, so it's usually a good "safe" stopping point.

napalm

napalm

Awards
To be fair, as you described your comparing someone training their deadlift as their main lift for the day to someone who's performing their third set of a deadlift after performing 8 combined sets of squat, full-body bench, and deadlifts at 100+-10% effort, so differences are to be expected.

Good point, though.

A suggestion that has helped me beyond words is Zir Red's - deadlift without straps. I haven't had an issue with my form but 3 times in the past 4 months, and I think it's because I've been lifting without straps. Usually your grip is one of the first places you fail on the deadlift, so it's usually a good "safe" stopping point.
What are these 'straps' you speak of? J/K, straps are a necessary evil. I use them working up to my max set of the day, then do that set without the straps.

Works for me, I've yet to miss a dl because of my grip.

chubbsthedog6

Awards
yeah i dont really care about my ego man haha im fine with dropping the weight which is exactly why i asked. I just always see videos of powerlifts doing it when they max so i thought it would be fine just when you max but wrong assumption haha. yeah i just watched a video on mark rippetoe deadlift set up and it explains it much better then what i was told. and i dont use straps either grip isnt a problem. and my core and quads are my strongest muscle my guess would be hamstrings or lower back. i do mow lawns with a push mower i have to lift in and out of my truck bed frequently maybe that could have something to do??

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah i dont really care about my ego man haha im fine with dropping the weight which is exactly why i asked. I just always see videos of powerlifts doing it when they max so i thought it would be fine just when you max but wrong assumption haha.
Your assumption was correct and most people agree that you shouldn't worry about it on a 1RM. Noone's form is great when maxing. Your working sets should be done with as near perfect form as possible though.

chubbsthedog6

Awards
ok ok i gotcha so only on maxes i can kinda ease up on the form but anything less perfect form is required?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok ok i gotcha so only on maxes i can kinda ease up on the form but anything less perfect form is required?
No, you cannot "ease" on form. It may not look as clean or technical, but that does not mean you approach it that way. The goal is to keep your form as much as possible, but, during a true 1RM, your form will not be 100%.

chubbsthedog6

Awards
ok yeah sorry thats what i was more meaning to say lol

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
I personally dont 1RM. almost never... I am not competing so why risk injury. Sure every 3 months or so I will throw some extra on to hit a PR but I doubt its my 1RM...

napalm

napalm

Awards
I personally dont 1RM. almost never... I am not competing so why risk injury. Sure every 3 months or so I will throw some extra on to hit a PR but I doubt its my 1RM...
Good point. I do compete, I don't want to waste a pr in the gym. Before my last meet the most I pulled was 91% of what I ended up doing at the meet. Close but not a 1rm

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
What helped me out alot is just practice in your free time shooting your hips.. it kinda helps me keep my back straight. Like just do it without a bar, or without weight, get down like youre about to deadlift, and really exaggerate humping the air or "shooting your hips". Really helped me fix my form. I also like too look at the ground in front of me about 5 feet away.. these things really helped fix my technique and i gained more power and better form.. just personal experience. You could also try pulling the bar closer to your shins, and squatting down more when youre lifting to get lower and under the bar. just a few things that might help :)

chubbsthedog6

Awards
wow lots of good info here all around thanks a lot guys