Deadlift form tip

McCoy1989

Awards
I just got done with my max effort day for deadlifts and I put up 30 more pounds than I had two months ago and I feel like I could have pulled more. Because I hadn't pulled a max in a while I was looking over various sites for form tips just to make sure I had every advantage I could and I came across a site explaining that you should start with the bar touching your shins. I had been starting with the bar about 6-8 inches from my shins which I feel was detrimental to my pulls in the past. The site also suggested that your feet should be less than shoulder width, which is contrary to what has been preached by a few sources previously. My stance was with my feet roughly 8 inches apart. They suggest no less than 6 inches apart. I feel like these are two things that haven't been said on most of the sites I've visited and I can say that they both helped significantly. I felt better about my form throughout the pull and I can't wait for my next max day. Btw my previous max was 315 and I pulled 345 today. Not rediculous numbers but significant progress nonetheless.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
YouTube videos of mark rippetoe teaching the deadlift

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stance width is going to depend on the size of you quads and hamstrings and the bar is should be touching shins once you bend down to grab the bar, but not when you're standing up.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
YouTube videos of mark rippetoe teaching the deadlift
Stance width is going to depend on the size of you quads and hamstrings and the bar is should be touching shins once you bend down to grab the bar, but not when you're standing up.
These. Buy Mark's book "starting strength" helps a lot basically taught myself how to deadlift and squat with that book

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
keep upper band lose and rounded, lower back tight and arched. flex triceps hard, squat the bar up to shins, than pull back and use your back. it should be 1 movement without a pause. the bar is like 2-3 in away from my shins, i line it up with my quads where I can't see the bar.

AdtheRock

Awards
These. Buy Mark's book "starting strength" helps a lot basically taught myself how to deadlift and squat with that book
Basic Barbell Training by Mark is great too. Really readable and approachable literature.

Alpha Mind

Awards
Anything by Mark Rippetoe is good.

Make sure your shoulders are pulled back and your chest is up.

AdtheRock

Awards
Anything by Mark Rippetoe is good.

Make sure your shoulders are pulled back and your chest is up.
Anything and Everything, that guy is a class act when it comes to strength training. I am yet to check out starting strength, I ordered basic barbell training back in 2009 when I took my ACE, I will look into thanks man.