do pros use volume or intensity?

ps24eva

Awards
if you had to say what the pros use based on what you read...

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
i would say the vast majority do high volume, assuming based only on what i have read.

ps24eva

Awards
I don't like to read magazines, but for those who do...please answer this question

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Other than Ronnie Coleman, I don't think any of us have any idea how pros train because we're fed such BS from magazines like Flex. I KNOW FOR A FACT that Coleman trains like a beast, very low reps, very, very heavy weight. I don't know how many of you guys have seen the video of him deadlifting 800 lbs for 4 reps 5 weeks out from Mr. Olympia. I will try to find it..He is intense!

I'd really like to see how pros really do train.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have seen a video of coleman squatting 800 for 2. Didn't look like failure either.

Bobo has trained in a gym with a few pros. He said they all vary rep speed/range. And all follow a somewhat periodized program.

Dan

Awards
I think that's they key - variation and periodization. After that, volume just depends on your recovery ability.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lee preist doesn't have a set schedule. He works out at my gym back home, he never stays in there over 1 hour or so. Sometimes he says he comes back for a second hour session in the afternoon, and other days he wont come for a couple days, just goes by how he feels.

I see him doing a lot of compound movements, the thing that i noticed more than intensity, is his form. Its always perfect, and each of his reps are extremely slow and controlled.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lee preist doesn't have a set schedule. He works out at my gym back home, he never stays in there over 1 hour or so. Sometimes he says he comes back for a second hour session in the afternoon, and other days he wont come for a couple days, just goes by how he feels.

I see him doing a lot of compound movements, the thing that i noticed more than intensity, is his form. Its always perfect, and each of his reps are extremely slow and controlled.
I read in an interview with him (could be bullshit), that he doesn't even train abs.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dont train abs, and I know many people that dont. They get trained plenty with heavy compounds. Squats, deads etc.

They are only a thin sheet of muscle, with little potential for hypertrophy. The key to getting abs is low bf.

BigChuckles

Awards
Dorian Yates trained with lots of intensity. I train like him now (one or two warm up sets then all out failure in the 6-8 rep range) and I have had great results with it. I read an article where Dexter Jackson only works out three times per week for 1.5 hours and doesn't do cardio or abs.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
As stated from the bros here, you'll have pros train high intensity (dorian) while others rely on volume training (cutter). Just like the most of us, its an individual to individual basis.
Sage